Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,392 Posts
there is this one religion out there that preaches and teaches food storage and use.
they also have emergency services set up in their communities with committees, communications, and city contacts.
they have farm systems and food distribution systems already in place, they all seem to have a firearm or two kicking around too.
been that way since about 1848 or so.

·
Super Moderator
14,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is this one religion out there that preaches and teaches food storage and use.
they also have emergency services set up in their communities with committees, communications, and city contacts.
they have farm systems and food distribution systems already in place, they all seem to have a firearm or two kicking around too.
been that way since about 1848 or so.
Who is that? I’d like to read about it.

·
Registered
12,392 Posts
yep.
they even send out monthly reminders with their home teachers, and their relief society has a program to follow to build up a supply by simply following their plan of what to buy each month.
it's super simple, right down to just adding another can of corn this week or a can of that the next week.
they even have recipe books that correspond with the stuff you should have put away, so it can be rotated through.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
yep.
they even send out monthly reminders with their home teachers, and their relief society has a program to follow to build up a supply by simply following their plan of what to buy each month.
it's super simple, right down to just adding another can of corn this week or a can of that the next week.
they even have recipe books that correspond with the stuff you should have put away, so it can be rotated through.
And if you know where to find them there are canning facilities that you MIGHT be able to get access to for your use. they also have supply stores you might gain access to. Check for the "Bishop's pantry" you might (if they are friendly enough) be able to make a purchase or two there.

·
The outer edge of civilization
16,752 Posts
yep.
You wouldn't happen to have any links where I might be able to get some ideas from would you? With the rising cost of food it might not be a bad thing to study up on.

·
Registered
8,495 Posts
I worked in the Munitions area with a fellow AF troop, he was a Mormon, we discussed food storage and he told me to come over on the weekend to his house and watch how they store whole grains. He had a little flour grinder hooked to a motor but had the hand crank if electricity wasn't available. Food grade 5 gal buckets with lids, dry ice, poured about 2 inches of grains in the bottom, dropped in a chunk of dry ice then fill the container up to about an inch from the top. secure the lid partially and since dry ice is CO2, it is heavier than air and displaces the air as the CO2 fills the container. The CO2 will kill any bug or larva that hatches from eggs. next morning burp the container to release and CO2 bulging then secure the lid on tightly. He said your good for about 5 years. Then he said, experiment with grinding your grain and creating the best tasting mix for your bread. He explained if you want Rye bread don't make it with 100% ground Rye flour, it tastes so stron you won't like it. He said they like a lite Rye which is one cup of Rye flour to four cups 1:4 mix with wheat flour. They also like a 1:3 mix for a little stronger flavor. So their lesson learned was very insightful to me. He stored corn, wheat, rye, beans, and rice. They also canned foods as well and they had a very well stocked pantry.
I would encourage you to check with the local Mormon church and see if they have some individuals that would like to share some good insight with you.
Additionally, check the internet, there is some good info. I was reading about some foods do better with a CO2, Nitrogen, Oxygen blend. That had me baffled because all three have different specific gravities and as a gas I believe they would stratify at different levels in a sealed container. In the atmosphere they stay mixed because of wind and thermal currents etc. I'm going to read more but a lot can be said for tried and true methods. Cheers.

·
Registered
12,392 Posts
you'll want to talk to one of the ladies in the relief society [which is all of them]
they have a weekly meeting you could attend without actually 'going to church'
you most likely could look up some missionaries in your area and they would be able to access the information for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts