close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what scope is on your squirrel .22 ?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by pappa, Apr 22, 2002.

1. pappa

pappa G&G Regular

;)
    I am considering using a centerfire rifle scope on my .22 Remington bolt action.
    When younger, I could even make head shots on possums under big oaks.
    These days, I have a problem with the darkness under big oaks. I'm thinking about going to a 2.5 - 8 X 50, or even a lighted reticule.
    I know, a BIG scope on a LITTLE rifle may look silly (and certainly ugly to the eye) but I've been hunting squirrels since about 1948, and I need all the help I can get. No, a shotgun is not an option.
    Anyone else found a solution they like?

:cheer:

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've got a Simmons 2-7X44Mag scope on my Marlin 25MN (.22 magnum). It's got a nice sharp view with the big 44mm objective, and just enough magnification to suit me. A 3-9X44 might suit you better. This combination is very accurate.

:target:

3. pappa

pappa G&G Regular

Hey Big Dog,
    I'm a Florida Cracker too. Born and raised about 12 miles north of Tampa.
    Thanks for replying.
    I might go with what you suggest; got to be better than the old Weaver 20mm .22 variable scope I use now. Hey, maybe I can get some ANTIQUE money out of the Weaver!
    How high ah mounts did you have to use? Also, which scope did you buy?
    I am thinking of getting the BSA Catseye 3.5X10 Illum.Reticle scope that was tested in this month's American Rifleman for my Savage 7mm Magnum. So, I just might look at the BSA 42 or 44mm for my squirrel gun. I bought a Tasco 4X32 Pronghorn from WallyWorld and looked through it early in the morning in my woods. Not enough light, so I took it back (never mounted it). CDNN has them for $15 this month. Great little scope though, out in the light.
    I also have a Glenfield (Marlin) Mdl 25 that shoots really good. That's just about the same, I believe, as your rifle, except for mine being .22LR.
    I think I'll go with that gun for the new scope. Thanks for your help....and good hunting!

4. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Pappa,

My 2 10/22's and a Rem 581 all fitted with numerous after market parts Have tasco's on them 3-12X40 mag IV, 4-16X40 mag IV, and a 3-12X40 world class. I didn't get them as much for the power as for the adj. obj. to take out paralax at closer ranges. The high power is only used off the bench to test ammo. When hunting I use 3 to 6 power.

Dave375

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    my 10/22 has faired well with a weaver 4x 40 besides slight ammo adjustments, haven't had to touch it in 12 years.
    Dead squirrrels don't tell lies!

6. Big Dog

Pappa, my scope needed the high rings with the 44mm lens. I took the iron sights off, but still have them if I need 'em. Most of my .22's wear the Simmons 3-9X32, as it can be mounted lower. I also have a couple Blazer scopes in 3-9X40. I got 'em cheap, because the windage knobs are marked in reverse. I just gotta remember to adjust for "Reft" and "Light". Ah well, it keeps things interesting. I've been thinking of trying the BSA scopes, too, but I'm a Simmons fan.

:target:

7. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I have got a 4-12x bushnell on my heavy bbl 10-22. It's a fairly inexpensive scope($100 or so) but has kept it's zero for the four years it's been on the rifle.

8. dogngun

dogngun G&G Newbie

squirrel rig

I have been using a Marlin 881 bolt action with a Tasco 4x Pronghorn deer scope and Weaver see through mounts. I like the scope because it's really bright and clear, has enough magnification to see the squirrel, anstead of the fur, and is a fixed power. I used to use a 3x9, but found I always semed to be at the wrong setting. Just a simpler set up.
    U use the iron sights for really close range. I hunt in really dense, leafy woods, and with high magnifications, tend to see mainly leaves. With this scope, I have got 4 squirrels with 4 shots in a little over 1/2 hr. ( That was last year, with my 54 year old eyes and reflexes)

Mark

9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Stainless 10/22 with a silver Simmons 4x....good enough for me.

10. I have a simmons 3x9 10/22 on my ruger MKII pistol. I also have a weaver 4-24 on my t/c classic. The most fun I have ever had was squirrel hunting with a ruger MKII with a ultradot sight on it.

11. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

Midsouth Shooters Supply has a Simmons 4X32mm fixed scope for about $27. It'll work fine for what you need.

12. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

simmon 3x9 on a rem 66

13. Big Dog

Rimfire936, welcome to G&G!
    It's always interesting when an old thread is revived. Things change a bit in two years.

My Marlin 25MN now wears a Bushnell 4-12X40AO scope, as I have it setup for 100 yard varminting, alongside my 17V with the same scope.

My little Marlin 99M1 now wears a Chinese-made 2.75 shorty scope - works great at 25 to 30 yards! It's quick to acquire target, almost like a red dot.
    This is my favorite open-field bunny-buster, though the open-sighted Henry levergun is fast becoming a favorite too.

I still like the Simmons 3-9X32 or 3-9X40 for most of my rimfires.

14. RifleFanatic

RifleFanatic G&G Newbie

i use a simmons 3-9x32 on my 10/22

15. i have a 4X tasco on one 22. a 3-9 simmons on the mag. and a 40mm red dot on the the single shot 22.

16. I have become a fan of NcStar scopes. sure, they are cheap chinese jobs, but the facilities and quality control has improved a ton in the last couple years.

17. here is the one on the mag along with its haul for the day.

18. Different scopes for each rimfire

My .22 currently wears the Tasco Rimfire 4x20mm it came with.
    As soon as I get to town and get some rings for the bigger scope, it's going to be wearing a Tasco Golden Antler 3-9x32mm that I've taken off of another rife in exchange for a bit bigger scope. The Tasco is a bit brighter than the other scope I have currently unmounted (The Simmons 8-Point 3-9x40mm that came with my .17 HMR)

My .17 HMR currently wears a Tasco Varmint/Tactical 6-24x42mm Mil-Dot Reticle scope. It's fun to go out and sit on one side of the local gravel pit and pick off squirrels on the other side (175 to 200 yards) with it on calm days.

19. Piney

Piney G&G Newbie

The 10/22 has a Simmons 3-9x32 8-point and the Mossberg has a Tasco 3-7. I've had to scope everything since my eyes seemed to retire a few years ago.