Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my uncle found an old shotgun our grandpa left us and we don't know much at all about it. It says Itaca gun company, Ithaca, NY on the side and on the barrells it says smokeless powder steel. its a side-by-side and the serial number is 239829. We can't find the model number anywhere. Any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first deer was shot with an Ithaca double barrel 16 ga. The barrels were so thin from use it was unbelievable. "Don't know if they had a model no. or not...That was in 1960..wish I knew more but I don't..the gun was previously a Lefever or something similar.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
You may have a Collectable Ithaca Shotgun, I need more info such as gauge, Length of Barrels, If it is Hammerless, double triggers, Wood and checkering, Auto Ejectors, Etc. Condition as well...Photos that show detail closeup would be nice too...
I will await this info.
Rich

·
Registered
31 Posts
You probably have a Flues Model, haven't got my serial no. data where I can get at it right now. Yes you can shot smokeless powder loads assuming it is in good shape. But use only light (trap etc) loads in it. Modern shotshells are loaded to higher pressures than the ones in the late teens and early twenties.

·
Registered
174 Posts
NorCalEJM:

A picture would definately help.

FWIW if it is a Flues, depending on year of manufacture, it may be an heirloom wall-hanger. According to Mr. Sid Cleveland, 2002 Museum Curator at Ithaca who replied to my inquiry, my grandfather's 20 ga. SXS (ser. # 183xxx) is just such a wall-hanger. He wrote back to me: "1909 field grade Flues model Double gun...has 2-1/2" chambers and should Not be fired. Barrels are not designed for modern smokeless powders plus short chambers...A nice piece of American Double gun history!"
The model was made from 1908 to 1926, about 224,000 manufactured. If yours is of latter manufacture, it might have the longer (2-3/4") chambers.

Try writing to Ithaca and include as much info as you can about the gun. Also, try to find someone knowledgeable about old shotguns (locally) who can measure the chambers, it would not do you or your gun any good to shoot 2-3/4" shells out of 2-1/2" chambers.

Ithaca Gun Company
420 N. Warpole Street
Upper Sandusky, OH 43351
(This, of course is the NEW Ithaca Gun Co. who, according to their website, aquired the assests of the old company...so they may have no info for your inquiry.)

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Ithaca Made Both Fluid Steel and Damascus Barrels, as well as Lewis, Crass, Flues, and Minier Frame variations prior to 1925 and up to Serial # 400,000, so without seeing Photos or getting more descriptive info I wouldn't venture a Guess...
Rich

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for responding, I forgot to mention it is a 12 guage with double triggers, and it is old, I think the serial number makes it pre 1937. I wont fire it because it has a small crack which might release alot of hot gas. I'll try to get some pictures up soon. the grip is textured and I think it has hammers, I can hear them when I depress the triggers. It has been used alot so the stock splinted by the yoke. thanks!

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Thanks for responding, I forgot to mention it is a 12 guage with double triggers, and it is old, I think the serial number makes it pre 1937. I wont fire it because it has a small crack which might release alot of hot gas. I'll try to get some pictures up soon. the grip is textured and I think it has hammers, I can hear them when I depress the triggers. It has been used alot so the stock splinted by the yoke. thanks!
Don't fire it...if cracked, Not good!
Does it Have Visible Hammers on the outside...???
(If not, it is called "Hammerless" even tho they are internal...)
Rich

·
Registered
174 Posts
NorCalEJM:

Based on your last post and in the absence of a competent evaluator, you've made a strong case for a wall-hanger to me. I'll echo Mooseman: don't shoot it.

Your Milage May Vary...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok then it is hammerless. Yeah i won't shoot it, too bad though I'd really like to but not worth getting hurt or damaging it anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts