close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What should I expect to pay?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Bri720-45Auto, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Bri720-45Auto

Bri720-45Auto G&G Newbie

I am looking at purchasing a M1 Grand, and would like to have a ballpark figure on how much I will be spending. I am looking for one in decent shape, that will give me some good use without having to do much to it. Thank you for your reply!

Brian

:target:

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

CAI is putting out Garands with their own receiver and mixed opinions. Lowest I've seen is $450. I got a SA Garand on consignment, used but in beautiful condition with the nicest stock I've ever seen, for $525. I've seen occasional online ads for non-CAI garands in the 450+ range, but figuring in shipping and transfer costs, it would end up about the same as mine. Shop around, take your time, and decide what's most important to you.

3. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Go to www.odcmp.com and read on the club needed and shooting course you need to buy from them for an average of $500.00 $400.00 for a Danish which almost always comes with a new barrel. I've bought 10 without one problem. You cant o wrong trust me or I'll buy it for cost from you.
    As for what to pay the prices go up for street bought and start into the thousand's for special ones. You may get lucky and get a nice almost original as I and many others have for $500.00 Rick B

4. Amen to Stock Doc! If you're not really sure what you want and you don't care about "musuem quality", by all means go with a M1 from CMP. If the rifles come with any problems (and usually they don't), CMP is quick to offer a solution - the best customer service I have EVER seen.

Be careful! They're habit-forming! I brought one in 1999 as a "representative example" (I'm mainly into '03s). Well, I have Garand #2 on order from CMP, even though they have all those '03s available.

5. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Up here in the Pacific Northwest, M1's seems to go a bit higher. Big 5 sporting goods was selling them for $500. Imported parts guns.

There is an M1 smith here that sells them for $650 at gun shows. I haven't seen any lower that this, not even in the newspapers or at gun shows.

Maybe the price varies by location?

6. DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY G&G Newbie

If you want the real McCoy, buy from the CMP; you'll get a rifle that functions well for about $500.00 and was once issued in the defense of our country.
    The stories a USGI M1 could tell...
    http://www.odcmp.com
    Dave T

7. JimE2

JimE2 G&G Newbie

TX
    Hey Brian,
    Forget the CAI ones. Fulton Armoury ran a test on them and they failed big time. Also, the Lithgow made receivers are poor compared to a USGI original. Beretta and Brenda made ones are good, same quality as a USGI one. Springfield Armoury Inc. has newly made M1 Garands but they run about $800+ and use the Lithgow cast receivers. Bummer. Rick B. is right the CMP is a great way to go, your Garand is shipped directly to you from the US Army storage. Kinda like the use to do in the 1960's. The "Service Grade' rifles are used, have wear, might need a little stock work, but are good enough to send 30 cal. ammo down range. The 2 I have are great. One is a WW2 USGI mixer, issued to the Danish Military, and then returned. Has an extremely accurate VAR barrel. Rick B. fixed me up with a good stock, and its my shooter. The Service Grade one I have is almost all original, a bit more character, but still a treasure. Its a Korean War era Springfield.

The paperwork to get a CMP rifle is well worth the effort. The only additional requirement is participation in a shooting match. This is well worth the effort too. There are exemptions to this for vets, LEO, seniors, and disiabilities.

Right now a Rack Grade Danish issue M1 Garand is $375 from the CMP. Beat that!

8. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Get one through the CMP for $ 400 - 500 . This also gets one more rifle out of the hands of the government . :)

Wyr
    God Bless

9. Bri720-45Auto

Bri720-45Auto G&G Newbie

Thank you!!

Thank you for all of the great info. I have checked out CMP. It realy sounds like the thing I am looking for. What could be better than owning a rifle that has secured our freedom.

Thank you for the great info and I look forward to becoming a regular contributer to this fourm.:)