close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What size bore brush do I need for turk?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JDW, Apr 12, 2002.

1. JDW

JDW G&G Newbie

I've been shooting and cleaning the turk, but sometimes the shells seem hard to come out after firing - got some kroil to use and wanted to use a brass brush I think. I use the 8mm for the barrel, but what size should I used to work on the bore - part where the shell sits. Heard JB paste is good, but cann't find any.
    Thanks for your in put.

2. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

Depending on my mood, I've used two different brushes...

1. an M-14/Garand chamber brush.

2. a .45 caliber bronze bore brush.

As for the difficult extraction, I don't think it's the powder residue...if you're using the infamous Turk ammo, they're loaded pretty hot, so the case necks tend to stick in the chamber.

I've also noticed that the extractor seems to hang up on the case as the bolt turns during the unlocking procedure; it may just need to "break in" with use.

The same phenomenon happens in my k98k; I just change my bolt unlocking technique; if you want, I'll try and describe it.

Good Luck!

3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

i use a 38-9mm chamber brush from cheaper than dirt (1.97,part nmbr 1750),as far as the j-b bore paste,try brownells.com(hint:spring for the catalog,it's the best 5.00 investment any shooter can make,you'll spend hours looking at all the goodies!).

4. JDW

JDW G&G Newbie

extracting a sticky cart.

Hans,
    Tell my how you do it, my is just brute strength and awakardness as my dad used to say. Smack it up and smack it back. Got to be a better way. Talked to a gun smith, said I was probably wasting my time and that it probably needed polished - cost $30.00, hope I can do something cheaper than that.

5. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Re: extracting a sticky cart.

To polish the chamber , put some VERY FINE steel wool on a wooden dowell rod . Spin , carefully , with an electric drill . Use oil on the steel wool . Clean very well .

I do not know this for sure , but I bet some tooth paste on cotton or cloth would give a very fine polish . If you do this , clean well dith water and patches , then dry very well . then please let us know how the tooth paste works . :)

Wyr
    God Bless

6. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

Okay, I'll try to describe it...

After the shot has been made, take your finger off the trigger, then lift your hand up until it's resting between the bolt handle and the stock, with your hand and fingers out like you're about to shake someone's hand, fingers pointing toward the target. Your thumb should be pointing straight up, positioned just behind the bolt handle.

Take your thumb and hook it over the wing safety as leverage.
    "Swing" your entire hand up as if you're going to look at the time on a watch, using your hooked thumb as a pivot...let your forearm and elbow pivot as well for extra leverage. Let the bolt swing all the way until it unlocks and re-cocks.

Now grab the bolt knob and pull back, then reload as normal.
    This technique allows you to keep the gun close to your shoulder in its original firing position, whether prone, standing, or sitting. It generally works best from standing and sitting positions.

This technique also lets you use almost all of the muscles in your arm and shoulder to release that tight bolt...I hope this wasn't too confusing...I learned this one from a Viet-Nam veteran...he is one bad motor scooter.

Good Shooting

Last edited: Apr 14, 2002
  7. I use water and ammonia to clean out the chamber and the bore. It neutralizes the corrosivness of the ammo and it cleans out all the crap that is built up. Ialso use an 8mm boresnake soaked with cleanzoil.

8. JDW

JDW G&G Newbie

cleanzoil

What is cleanzoil? Does the snake work much different or better than the rod and patches?

9. JDW-

I misspelled it. The stuff is called Clenzoil. It cleans, lubricates, and prevents fust from forming. I will use ammonia and water in the chamber and bore to get rid of all the corrosive material. Then I use an 8mm bore brush first to loosen up all that crap in the bore. Then I run a boresnake thru soaked in #9. It will come out black, but these are reuseable because they can be washed. I then will use another boresnake with a little Clenzoil on it to lubricate the chamber and barrel. You cannot beat a boresnake over patches. Go to www.clenzoil.com to get more info on the product.

Hope this helps--

Ltcboy