Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing around with different .22 loads for a shotgun/rifle o/u combo I have for squirrel hunting, and so far it seem Federals are providing some decent performace. However, a number of different Federal loads are identical to one another: the 510, 710, 810 and AE5022 all display the exact same ballistics. So what gives with that? Different loads with the same ballistics? Seems a bit odd to me. Of course, the 710 and 810 are Copper Plated whereas the 510 and AE5022 are Solid Lead. Ok, so no leading of the barrel with the 710 and 810. Leading I can deal with if accuracy is in there. But what is it with identical ballistics with these different loads that cost appreciatively differently? I am no genius or such, but nonetheless, I am a bit bewildered. Is this just a marketing thing? Anyone have any insight? Any suggestions? Any comments? (Ohhhhh...I bet you guys can come up with comments?)

msj

·
Banned
704 Posts
The .22LR is a highly competitive and overall most popular cartridge in North America. That means there are many marketing tricks being played. I consider the copper wash on .22 rimfire bullets no more than marketing hype. Ballistics performance gets mixed with hype as well. A lower velocity and in particular a subsonic load will shoot straighter than a supersonic load. There is probably only a need for two velocities in LR, about 1075 for sub, and 1280 for super, and most of the rest are hype. Yes, if you are determined to shoot game larger than a .22 is intended for, then perhaps there is a need for the CCI Velocitor type loads at an accuracy cost. The other thing to watch about Federal is that their three digit number is the combination of load and packaging. The same load in a different package will have a different 3 digit number.

In my gun, I haven't found any Federals that are that great. Here is my current rating chart based on testing for accuracy.

YMMV,

Ron

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa!

Ron, that was a hell of a reply. Thank you very, very much.

msj

1 - 3 of 3 Posts