Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first mauser that I ever bought when I was a teenager. I traded it(stupidly) and just finally got it back a few weeks ago. The guy I bought it from said it was a french .308 mauser. It does shoot .308, but I'm not sure how much it's worth and what kind of mausser it actually is. I figured some mauser genius on here could tell me what it is (No offence intended.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
yep///// your best bet is to take it mto a good gunsmith hand him 20 bucks and let him let you know if you can get (good ammo) and is it safe to shoot, some of them old military rifle;s can really shoot fine and are alot of fun,had a GS put a full stock and put a side safty on a Mosin Nagant and you could hit fly;s at 100yds with it, and like a damn fool some guy at the range offered me a few bucks more than I had in it and let it go--- bOO hOO IS ME EVERY TIME i THINK ABOUT IT

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's why I have so much trouble telling exactly what it is, because all it says is 01-38255 and 308 stamped over the breech, but the bolt and mag box serial numers all match. Ohh I just noticed a really light stamp on the barrel near the muzzel. It says OVEIDO SPAIN M1916 SAMCO MIA FL 308W that tells me a little bit. But any specifics?

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
That's why I have so much trouble telling exactly what it is, because all it says is 01-38255 and 308 stamped over the breech, but the bolt and mag box serial numers all match. Ohh I just noticed a really light stamp on the barrel near the muzzel. It says OVEIDO SPAIN M1916 SAMCO MIA FL 308W that tells me a little bit. But any specifics?
I think you just answered your own question by reading the import stamp. You have a Spanish M916 Mauser, made at the Oveido Armory.

They were originally 7mm Mauser (7x57), but a lot of them were converted to 7.62x61 NATO. Which is close enough to .308 for all practical pressures, except for the .308 being hotter.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Looks to be an Oviedo Mod. 1916 made in Spain. It was imported to the U.S. by Samco in Fl. They are still selling these "Guardia" Mausers for around $130 but individual sales seem to be a bit higher ($150-200).

·
Registered
723 Posts
There is controversy over whether or not you can shoot 7.62x51 NATO rounds in it, or modern .308. I think the general consensus is that as long as you stick to 7.62x51 milsurp ammo, or .308 commercial that isn't loaded too hot, you should be ok. Big-Dog seems to be the subject-matter-expert on this, and I value his opinion on this since he's a pretty knowledgeable guy,and I have a FR-7 built on the same action. The point being is that these small ring Mausers don't have the third locking lug that the large ring Mausers have. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in on this yet.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Thats a good looking Mauser and I'd be pround to own it. Very nice !!!
Yall help me out here.
Is this action here (small ring) not desirable by custom rifle builders today and yesterday ?
And I would of thought because it is a Mauser Action it would be capable of shooting say the 308 win.

Another question I have a Argentine Mauser carbine that was used by the calvery, it has no pistol grip and is short in length and fires 7.65 Argentine cartridges.
Mine would be the large ring wouldn't it ?...A.H

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Thats a good looking Mauser and I'd be pround to own it. Very nice !!!
Yall help me out here.
Is this action here (small ring) not desirable by custom rifle builders today and yesterday ?
And I would of thought because it is a Mauser Action it would be capable of shooting say the 308 win.
Another question I have a Argentine Mauser carbine that was used by the calvery, it has no pistol grip and is short in length and fires 7.65 Argentine cartridges.
Mine would be the large ring wouldn't it ?...A.H
I assume you have the 1909 Cavalry Carbine Argentine Mauser, Mike. I haven't seen one for years, but if I remember right they're the large ring, three-lug design. Very strong, very well-made and very smooth operation; the action has been used for umpteen custom hunting rifles over the years.

The first rifle I ever shot, besides a .22, was an Argentine Mauser my uncle owned. It wasn't the carbine; it was probably longer than I was tall (I was just a little shaver at the time). My dad folded his leather jacket on a boulder for me to use as a rest, and arranged me in the proper kneeling position while my uncle was setting up a can for me. When I pulled the trigger I wound up on my back, still in the same kneeling position, with the rifle pointing straight into the air. But I didn't care; I had hit the can.

Joeshooter's Spanish model only has two locking lugs, so it isn't as strong as yours. But I think it should be able to handle just about anything he fires in it anyway. He shouldn't take my word, though. I'm just giving my opinion, and I'm no Mauser expert.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
troy you are correct mine is the 1909 carbine. I had to replace the bolt in mine due to one of the little ears was broke off the side of the bolt face.
I can't shoot it because it needs to head spaced checked.
I wish I could find an aftermarket stock to drop the barreled action into.
I don't know if the steps on the barrel are the same as the longer rifles...A.H

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Y'all need to stop this, now. You're sucking me into these Mausers and making me want one or a dozen, and I can barely handle the Mosin addiction I already have...

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I think you just answered your own question by reading the import stamp. You have a Spanish M916 Mauser, made at the Oveido Armory.

They were originally 7mm Mauser (7x57), but a lot of them were converted to 7.62x61 NATO. Which is close enough to .308 for all practical pressures, except for the .308 being hotter.
You lost me.If it was 7mm that would be .284".There never was a 7.62mm X 61mm NATO but there is a 51mm NATO which I believe is what you mean.I dont think you could get the 7mmx57mm casing in a 7.62mm x 51mm chamber and you couldnt get a .308 bullet in a .284 bore. sam.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,312 Posts
From reading and studying many forum sites and documentation, I have no qualms about using military spec 7.62X51 in my M1916 and FR8 rifles - and have shot a lot.
I would not use commercial .308, but many owners do. If you reload, you could make lighter loads for this rifle.
From what I can find, there has never been a documented case of a catastrophic failure due to using commercial ammo in the M1916, but several owners have reported bolt lug setback after shooting a good bit.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
You lost me.If it was 7mm that would be .284".There never was a 7.62mm X 61mm NATO but there is a 51mm NATO which I believe is what you mean.I dont think you could get the 7mmx57mm casing in a 7.62mm x 51mm chamber and you couldnt get a .308 bullet in a .284 bore. sam.
Samuel....Your Blonde roots are showing...They Re-barreled them to 7.62 Nato.....
LOL
Rich

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
My bad, Sam. I meant to type 7.62x51; maybe I shouldn't be answering questions around midnight. Wouldn't a 7.62x61 be a .30-06?

As far as the conversion goes, it was done by the Spanish government in the fifties or sixties, depending on who you believe on the internet.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay I have a question though, What's the deal with the lug thingy? I never heard that before. I thought it was something with the safety.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Okay I have a question though, What's the deal with the lug thingy? I never heard that before. I thought it was something with the safety.
The difference between the large ring and small ring mausers is the third locking lug. If you look at the bolt on a small ring mauser, it has 2 lugs on the top and bottom of the bolt(bolt closed). The large ring mauser has those two locking lugs, and a third one on bottom of the bolt when it is closed, 90 degrees off center of the bolt handle.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
The difference between the large ring and small ring mausers is the third locking lug. If you look at the bolt on a small ring mauser, it has 2 lugs on the top and bottom of the bolt(bolt closed). The large ring mauser has those two locking lugs, and a third one on bottom of the bolt when it is closed, 90 degrees off center of the bolt handle.
The third lug is a safety lug. If it's engaging, your rifle is in trouble; it shouldn't touch under normal conditions.

That's book learning, by the way. I haven't played with Mausers much, and there are plenty of guys on here who have...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts