close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Was Your Favoritist Blade?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PAPA G, Apr 13, 2002.

1. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

ok gang, lets lighten up a bit. over your lifetime what was/is your most favorite knife you have owned and used??? mine was the 4 bladed pocket knive i had as a kid, can't remember who made it, but was my constant companion thru all my misadventures as a child. it had a blade, can opener, flatscrewdriver/bottlecap lifter, and an awl. whittled with it, made bows& arrows, spears,, gutted cat fish(abit rough) played mumbly peg. sharpened it on the cement steps of the house!!. how bout you??:nod: :D

2. PAPA G I have carried a 4 inch Buck folder most of my adult life. As a younster .. smaller versions of the Buck. Right now I carry a 3 inch Bear Mgc folder with pocket clip.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2002

3. I camped out alot as a kid and my favorite knife was the boy scout version of the one PAPA G had with the spear point knife blade , the screw driver, can opener etc. I would use it to dig stuff out of the ground and immediately use it to cut open a purloined water melon, use it to turn bacon in the frying pan, and open cans of pork and beans. bob white

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I picked up a "hunting" knife a5 or 6"?? knife from K-Mart when I went through Infentry Training School called a "Westener" I kept that thing with me until it got blown up in Beriut...was one of thouse knifes that keep its edge and took a lot of abuse....I considered it my lucky knife..made it through rcon and sniper school and hundred of feild ops...

5. ....Does my Atrim 12th century Longsword count?It IS my favorite and my most capable meat cleaver!:nod:

6. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Most usefull: my Swiss Army camper(I think that was the model). Found it when I was younger and lost it about 2 years ago.
    Current favorite: my Kershaw Ken Onion "assissted opening" knife that I just bought. It is the cheaper(if you call $60 cheap) model, but is still slick. Single blade, about 4".
    All time favorite: my two blade boy scout pocket knife, still got it.

Other than that, I got a whole bunch of other knives, my collection if you will.

-Tim

7. wes

wes G&G Newbie

My "Ek" warrior,great balance,wonderful handle,but,a bit large for carry. My carry knife is a Benchmade self opener,believe it's called an AFO.

8. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I have a Westerner as doglips described, Leather ring wrapped handle, good carbon blade that sharpens well. My everyday "carry" is a Spyderco Clipit Endura. If someone were to empty my knife drawer and only give me one it would be my Swiss.

9. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Have to be my SOG Tom Cat with it's horizontal belt sheath. But for serious play the Sog Dessert Dagger double edged with blood groove and serriations at the hilt or my Sog Navy Seal model the steel is said nver to rust it has a nonreflective finnish, the steels so hard that it can't be cut with a torch and nothing short of a diamond stone will sharpen it. The weirdest thing is the blade doesn't sound like metal when hit it sounds like wood. They are great knives at at a high price bought'em before wife. you fellows remember that it was the time when you had more toys.

10. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I have become partial to BENCHMADE knives. I own several. They really are stainless , sharpen easy, and hold an edge well. I like the ones that are half serrated.

11. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Hi gang,I have always been partial to switchblades,excuse me,the popular term now is automatics.As a child my favorite knife was a candy cane striped switchblade with a carbon steel blade,which i finally broke the blade on pounding it through a 1 ounce egg sinker,reshaped the remaining 2" and kept using it.
    At this particular time I have a switchblade collecting which includes the buck factory nickle silver bolsters and pins switchblade,talk about a pretty knife and the legendary Buck steel blade.
    My regular carry knife,although I like to rotate them is a Crawford Kasper available from Smokey Mountain at a very reasonable price.
    I tend to carry large folders as "you never know!"
    :nod: :nod: :nod: :D

12. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Believe it or not, my favorite has been the M4 bayonet my cousin brought back from Vietnam. He picked it up from an armorer in Korea. I got it back in 1973, when I was seven. Have kept it all of these years. It's not your ideal "carry" knife, but it has done everything I've needed it to do, and then some! I carry it in my truck at all times. I have been known to carry it on duty, in a homemade sheath, in my boot, while patrolling hostile areas.

:)

13. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Even after 20 years of amassing a fair collection of knives, I still carry my Buck 317 two-blade folder. I got it in high school in 1975, and it served with me in the USAF and USN, going around the world. I almost lost it when an overly zealous Master-at-Arms "confiscated" it just before our Med/IO cruise, but my Senior Chief got it back for me. It's still razor-sharp. :cool:

14. Armorer

Armorer Guest

15. FAVORITE BLADE

A REMINGTON SHEATH KNIFE I BOUGHT IN 1942. SEWED IT TO MY FLIGHT BOOT FOR THE KOREAN WAR AND LOST IT IN THE COCKPIT IN THE MID 60'S. BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE ON EBAY FOR OLD TIMES SAKE WHICH COMPLETS MY USAF FLYING MEMORYS. STILL HAVE MY LAST FLIGHT BOOTS WITH THE SHEATH ATTACHED.
    DANA

16. Case XX bone handled made before 1960. Any of you notice that the knives made back then are better than the ones you get now? I have serveral of them, and tote differant ones during the course of a year. The Germans made some good knifes also. Tree- Brand, Henkels, Boker, Kissing Crane, all these are good. I like the traditional 2 blade, 3 blade pocket knives. Long as its high carbon steel, and has bone handles, and is old {pre-1960}, I like them.

17. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

I hate to say it, but my leatherman is just what I always wanted for a gen purpose knife.

Cold steel is the best survival knife I could ever ask for.

18. jerry

USA
    dana's knife

bet you made some crew chief happy!

19. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Hooker, how could you forget Puma?
    I do still have an old Camillus 3 blade folder that I bought in the seventies. It has held up real well. I have been occasionally cleaning it with a dilute lye solution. Alkalines seem to work very well at inhibiting rust with some types of steel.

20. jerry

USA
    true story on the alkalines, this is the first step in a lot of metal finising operations when washing is used as a metal prep. usually followed by a phosphate.