close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What were your lowest full-time wages? Hourly or yearly?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Oxford, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

On the O3A3 forum, Stock Doc posted an advertisement from about 40 yrs ago listing the price of a 1903 Springfield as $30.95, and it was pointed out that the minimum wage about that time was around $3.17/hr.

Got to wondering what the lowest full time wages were for anyone on this forum in their past.

For me, I got paid $1.00 per hour back in 1955 working as a farm laborer and later as a carpenters helper. Then, in 1960, with a BS degree in education, my first teaching job paid $4,000 per year.

What was your lowest wage and for what kind of work?

I think this will help explain why the gun prices have much higher prices today.

Oxford

2. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

A buck fifty an hour as a soda jerk in high school. It was below the current min. wage at the time, but they were under special dispensation from the state. That was 1980.

Picking strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries was also pretty cheap. I think it was something like 80 cents a flat (12 pints) back then, and I could do about 25 flats a day (strawberries) at my peak. I was one of the fastest pickers in the fields. Thas was 1978.

Conversely, now I make 50 cents a minute. If I stay on track, I'll eventually make a buck fifty a minute before I retire. That's the measure of my life.

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    1984 as a new recruit about $550 per month, but hey, my chow was provided and there was always a small bed with a green wool blanket to come home to.

4. FARM WORK

15 CENTS/HR FARM WORK 1943. NOW A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THE PETER PRINCIPAL. OVER PAID AND UNDER WORKED.I NOW EMPLOY 115 PEOPLE DO THE WORK FOR ME.IT IS HARD BUT SOMEONE HAS TO DO IT!!!!
    DANA

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

1975, last year of high school, myself and a friend working at his uncle's plant nursery for $1.50/hour. Hard work, little pay. The USAF seemed like a heck of a good deal after graduating.
    1980, getting $3.75/hr at the Dixie Oil station, joined the USN to escape from having to marry the owner's fat daughter. Seemed the best thing to do at the time.

6. 25 cents per hour, priming tobacco {priming= harvesting.}. No one can understand how hard and nasty a job that is till you've done it. I have worked as a carpenter, construction worker, heavy equipment operator all my life. and I can tell you that nothing is as hot and tiresome as the tobacco fields. My oldest son told me that U.S.M.C. recruit training at Parris Island during the months of June, July, August of 1998 was not as hard as the tobacco farming we used to do.

7. I made $1.25/hr in 1972 working in a Texaco gas station in a town with a population of 327 people. If I pumped 100 gallons in a day that was a real busy day. We had the highest priced gas in the whole state of Colorado. It was.42 and .46 cents. The average price elswhere was .35 cents. Oxford...I dont believe the minimum wage was that high 40 years ago. I remember it was just a little over $2.00 in about 1974.

8. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    foregot to mention child labor, detassaling corn, wasn't worth remembering. But, i still remember the corn rash!

9. Jay rh

Jay rh G&G Regular

I started out working in a Howard Johnsons resturant in 1964 at $.90/hour. Took jump to $1.00 when I went to an Esso, Opps EXON station.............. Jay

10. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

$1/hour was correct

Rtlesnkesbite: What I do remember is that from 1953-57 I got paid $1.00/hr doing farm work and at another town job.

As a teenager I hired out occasionally for $8/day or $1.00/hour to haul hay from 8-5pm (meals included). Sometimes farmers paid 60 cents/ton. At 75 lbs per bale that's lifting around 26 bales twice...load the bale on a wagon and then stack it in the barn. There weren't any child labor laws in effect at that time.

Oxford

11. buttons

buttons G&G Newbie

1970, 12 years old. Neighbor lays in his hammock all day, in the shade, getting drunk. He has 2 big dogs, and everyone is terrified of him. I go over and offer to mow his lawn for 3 bucks, says OK. I finish and he gives me 5 bucks. Here is the short story on this man. Lays in the shade because he hates the sun. Why? He spent 3 years in the Pacific. Iwo Jima and many other battles. Wounded 3 times. Guy was a total drunk, dressed in rags, house was a mess. Turns out this man was a hell of person. One day he showed me his uniform, it was pristine. The rest of the place was a wreck. I would sit and talk with him for hours. One day he said to me. I am quitting drinking. Next day no liquor man pulled up to the house. He never had another drink after that day. He lived until 1983. His name was Charles H. Humason and I am saluting him here today. God bless him and all the rest who fought and died. This was a long post, but it needed to be said.

12. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Buttons: Could be that your kindness toward him finally caused something to click on inside his head. Just shows that you can't really tell about someone by their clothes or looks. In this case he had been through more hxxx than most of us in a lifettime.

Great Story. Glad you posted it.

Oxford

13. wes

wes G&G Newbie

1972-worked in a car wash for $1.25 hr. Always got a .25 tip from the lady in a Rolls-Royce,woo-hoo!

14. jbmi

jbmi G&G Newbie

1960, carwash, 75 cents/hr. soon thereafter I worked in a Texaco gas station for $1/hr. Big pay considering min. wage was 65cents/hr.
    1970 first teacher contract was $8,200

Those seem like awful low wages, but you also have to look at the cost of things back then. How many of us would like to go back to 1960 and buy a new Model 70 in 270.

Anybody have the price of that gun 42 years ago? Seems to me it was less than $100.

I bought my first new deer rifle in 1967. K-Mart was running a hunting season special. New Marlin 336 in 35rem. for $67. Box of Remington Core-Lok 200gr. (still have half a box) had a sticker price of $2.47

15. Paul I

Paul I G&G Newbie

2.75$ as a mason tender in 10th grade 1977. Got to drink beer
    with the crew after work. Seemed good then.

16. I DID THAT TOO
    but i cant remember the pay.
    i walked beans also.

17. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

America
    Around $117 a month when I went in to the Army.

18. Lokabrenna

Lokabrenna G&G Newbie

I know, a bit of thread-necromancy going on here, but I had to comment. :) My mother worked for ESSO a long-time back when she was a secretary in their New York City office. I still remember seeing the mechanical pencil with the ESSO logo on it when I was a kid and asking her "Wasn't that EXXON?" :)

19. When I was 10 did a paper route with a neighbor. We made $150 a month, split in half, so $75 a month for doing two routes during the summer (that means we worked two days a week).

20. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

I made $501.30 per month as a new USAF Recuit October 1st 1980 Pay Scale. Equals to about $3.13 a hour for a 40 hour week...29 years later (2009) the new USAF Recruit gets $1399.50. per month. Equals to about $8.75 a hour...I don't think you could ever say anyone joins to get rich. I salute all of our Troops.....:usa2: