Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,594 Posts
Definitely have him check out the Stevens 200 series. He will have a more accurate rifle with good choices for hunting calibers, not to mention decent workable optics.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
mosinman the 91/30 would be my pick, maybe someone else will come along and read the thread you put up that can better help you than i can...A.H

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Well, I just measured my 5-shot spread on my 91/30 ex-sniper for the at 1.084 inches @ 25 yards. I'd say that's more than capable for a deer at further range. :wink1:

M44 vs 91/30: 91/30 has the same cartridge with a longer barrel. I have heard of people taking deer with it, though and that pig-sticker can finish it off if it's not quite dead yet (or just affix the huge bayo on the 91/30 :D)

SKS vs 91/30: 91/30 shoots the 7.62x54R; SKS shoots the 7.62x39. You will have more power and distance with the 91/30. The x39 is still a good deer cartridge, though.

K98k vs 91/30: K98k shoots the 7.92x57 but has a 600mm barrel versus the 730mm barrel of the 91/30, so probably about the same muzzle energy and/or velocity, but you're going to pay 2-4 times more for a K98k than a 91/30. (ref: Modern Firearms - Rifle - Mauser model 98 & Modern Firearms - Rifle - Mosin-Nagant M1891 91/10 91/30 1938 1944 & for pricing: Classic Arms Inc.) I'd say you're pretty much equal with the exception of pricing on those two.

So, personally (and yes, I'm biased because out of those four, I only have the 91/30) I'd take the 91/30 over the others.

That's just my $3.50.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Years back I used a Mauser,everything original except the ammo which was some American mfg. rnsp. to kill a 10pt whitetail at 32 paces in the upper penensula in Michigan.It was the best deer taken in that area.They didnt laugh at my Mauser after that.There is plenty of power and accuracy in an 8mm at 32 paces. sam.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Price wise your best bet would be a Mosin. Not too much involved with sticker shock, you should be able to pick up a Mosin for $125 just about anywhere. The sights are easy to use & easy to shoot. Everything being equal in the Mosin department I would go for the 91/30.

Sometimes I hunt with my m39. But I paid $89 for her five or six years ago.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I like my mosin (91/30). I can do about a 4" group at 50 yards with iron sights. But if I was to go dear hunting, I would take my K31. Hands down more accurate IMHO. Even though I have to give props to my Swedish Mauser.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would carry the M91/30. With my handloads I get consistant 2" groups at 100 yards. My M-48 Mauser is about the same for accueacy, but I like the M 91/30 better. Both rifles have scopes.

Classicarms.us has'em for $69.00 every day.

Nick

·
Registered
504 Posts
SKS would be fine out to say 100 yards. Beyond that I'd say go with a Mosin. I'd take the m44 or an m38 over the 91/30' shorter barrel easier to carry in brush, then again I just like carbines better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Tula arsenal M91/30 is great i put a ATI scope kit on it and am getting 1&3/8" groups at 100 yards and that is with cheap czec millitary ammo. I have a 91/30 sniper that should do better. If you get a Mosin nagant rifle you should look at the reciever for a star that means it was produced in the tula factory. these are better shooters and more desirable. also if you see one with a "C" and an upside down "U" that means it was produced with a batch of sniper rifles. these are more accurate. the reason i started hunting with a mosin is that i think it is the perfect coyote gun. The first one i got was a gift about 5 years ago. Now I am a collector. funny how that happens!!!!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I know I will get hammered for saying this, but the only surplus rifle I have shot that I would consider hunting with is the SKS and the K-31. I have owned and shot the 91/30 and M44 - they are good rifles, but the ones I have shot did not seem accurate enough for me to hunt with. The moisin safety could also be a liability in a hunting situation. The mauser could be an option if you can find one in good shape that is shooting to point of aim.

I would also suggest that he consider the Stevens bolt action or the lowly but Very effect Marlin 30/30. If he just has to have one of the listed rifles, I would suggest the SKS - fairly consistent accuracy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my mosins are accurate. but you need to know what to look for on the rifle you buy. i just bought one for my dad to. for the safty on the mosin i bought a ring safty on e bay for my rifles. this makes it quick and easy to engage the safty also very quiet

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
I've got at least 2 of pretty much everything on you list of guns, and if I were to pick one for deer hunting, I'd take the K98..
On top of it being a very accurate round, it's pretty much the easiest of the bunch to get hunting rounds for, cheaply..
Just sayin'...

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've got a m44 myself never shot a deer with it. But i have killed many a coyote. i removed the rear sight and place a "scout" scope with inproved my grouping i can fire 1 inch group at a hundred yards with out to much trouble when i use a good quailty ammo. plus the price of $89 cant be beat. my understanding is that the 7.62 /54mm is eaqual to the .308 in power and accuracy. i do admit that the saftey is a little lacking.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I'd say it's between the 91\30 and the '98, with the edge going to the Mauser. I say this because the Mauser has a better ammo selection for hunting and has slightly better ballistics. You also don't have to worry about having to match bullet dia. to whatever bore size your particular gun has. I love my Mosins but the Mauser is a bit better suited for hunting, especially if you want to sporterize it. I took two nice deer with my scout-scoped M-44 last year so I'm definitely not knocking any of the M\N's. For short-range use the SKS is fine as well.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts