Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,587 Posts
IMOHO, I'd go with a Mosin. I don't own one yet, I do own an SKS but would go with the Mosin for hunting duties.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I would say the Mosin. It's got more power. And the price is right. :)

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Mosin is lighter and simpler and the cartridges are of about the same power as most of the ones typically used for deer hunting (ie close to 30-06, 308, 8mm, etc).

SKS would only be better of you shoot both and are more comfortable with your one-shot accuracy with the SKS than the Mosin.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Mosin. The SKS makes a good predator gun up to about 200 yds, but I wouldn't use one foe deer unless the range is kept under 100-150 yds.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mosin has a little more punch and accuracy. That would be my weapon of choice.

·
Ahh..Cordite.
911 Posts
What about follow up shots? (umm for those who have crooked eyes like me)

I'd take the SKS any day over my Mosin hunting (Longer barrel=better accuracy) IMO

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nothing wrong with a mosin, but if you want faster follow up shots the sks is a good choose. Inside a 100 yard with heavy soft points your basically shooting a semiauto 30-30. With the right ammo either would be fine.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
What about follow up shots? (umm for those who have crooked eyes like me)

I'd take the SKS any day over my Mosin hunting (Longer barrel=better accuracy) IMO
Um, the Mosin Nagant 91/30 has a 26" barrel while the SKS has a 24" barrel.... You sure about that SKS? :09:

You're probably talking about an M44 or M38 carbine. :wink1:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
91/30 is a very popular and effective hunting rifle, so is the SKS. I would go with the 91/30, but with premium hunting ammo that will do the job. If you get the cheap $5 a box ammo it will not give you a good clean kill.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It's not the gun but the shooter. It depends on which you shoot better at game not just plinking.
Either would be fun and fairly cheap to purchase and to shoot.

·
Ahh..Cordite.
911 Posts
Um, the Mosin Nagant 91/30 has a 26" barrel while the SKS has a 24" barrel.... You sure about that SKS? :09:

You're probably talking about an M44 or M38 carbine. :wink1:
Umm..since no Mosin was specified and I did say MY Mosin which is an M38..I don't see where your confused...

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
That's like asking, what's better: a minivan or an SUV? Depends on what you want to do with it.

I'd say that very roughly, a Mosin is comparable to a .30-06, and an SKS to a .30-30. For long-range, open shooting I'd take one of the longer Mosins, and in the brush I'd probably prefer the SKS with the faster follow-up.

My former supervisor had four or five large safes full of weapons, but one of his favorites was an SKS that he used for a saddle gun.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I don't own a Mosin, but do own an SKS. I'm pretty sure that the range on the Mosin is a lot better than the SKS. If I were in the woods, I'd probably bring the SKS. If I was in a open area where I would hope a follow up shot wouldn't be needed, then I'd probably bring a Mosin.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think that the Mosin is a great hunter. Get a good scope if you are worried about seeing the target and using the iron sights with alittle practice and the right moment you can bag you one with out a problem. I would say a 91/30. 200 yards is easy with it. I have a M44 and with the iron sights I am pretty good up till about 125 yrds. My eyes are slowly gettin out of focus LOL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts