Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for an inexpensive desert cammo or reg cammo sniper rifle. Any ideas?

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Bolt action or semi? I'd say a basic Remington or Winchester .308 would work best for a bolt gun. If you want a semi, how far out do you want to "touch" someone? Couple hundred yards I'd stick to with an AR since it could double for sniper detail and close quarters encounters. Talking 500+ yards I'd be looking at a .308. G3, M1A or an AR-10. What do you mean by inexpensive? Under $500? Under $1000?

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
bheiser said:
under 500 with ability to hit at 500yds
A used Winchester or Remington .308 or a G3. Moose is right though, your asking a bit much for $500. A few years back I bought a Winchester Model 70 .30-06 with a cheap, but good scope on it for around $600. It's in perfect shape, but was used(had like 20 rounds through it). I'm not for sure if the prices have gone up or not. A good G3 will run you $450+ anymore, the days of $300 G3's are over.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Remington 700, if you can get a 700 PSS, but I will tell you this, I know of a high number of custom sniper rifles that have been built around a Remington 700 action, it is (arguably) the single best action for high quality, high accuracy, distance rifles. You can t go wrong with it…Remington 700 in 308 or 300 mag. I only recommend 300 mag to those who are looking for some extra yardage or killing hefalumps.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Hmm, heres something I just thought of. What about a good 8mm Mauser? I'd think with a good scope 500 yards would be easy as long as the barrel is good.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I may be offering useless information, I generally only consider 303, 308, 7.62 x 54R, 338, 300 win mag, and 50 cal when speaking of sniper rifles.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I like the Remmington 700, but after a scope and tax I think you will be over your $500 budget. Even the cheap Romainian SVD are over 600 without scope. I vote G3, but you will have to be creative to stay within your budget.

Shaun would be the one to ask though, he is a sniper.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
8mm has at least as much sniper history as 303, and much more than 338 or 300 Win Mag.

If you mean to use standardized match ammo though, I would stick to 308, 30-06, or 300 Win Mag. Use anything else and you'll either have to handload for max accuracy or find some commercial ammo that does great in a particular rifle.

Regarding camo, it may be most practical to pick whatever rifle you want and then paint it cammo. A used rifle may be a good choice, that way you wouldn't be paying for a factory finish that you'd paint over anyway.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Yes, but how many of those can be bought for $500 though? The .303 and .308? Should be able to. By the 54R I'm guessing you mean the Romak 3 rifle, not for $500. The .338, .300 and 50 cal, not for said $500. Thats why I'm thinking outside the box here. Those old Mausers, or even a nice .30-06 would easily touch something at 500 yards.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I use the Savage Model 10 FP-LE2 in 7.62X51 NATO (.308) with Accu-trigger and the Millet Mildot 6X16X56mm scope. Bolt guns are preferred by snipers because auto loaders can give away your position. A fixed 10 power scope is used more that variable power scopes because they have better light gathering and less distortion. $500.00 will buy a nice rifle, but you should spend more for a top quality scope. Optics can make or break the sniper rifle. You can get by with less rifle if you spend a little more for a good scope.
After you put together a sniper rifle and sight it in so you're shooting a one hole group at a hundred meters, you may find that cleaning the bore will effect your first shot. I found that cleaning my bore would cause the first shot or two to be flyers, unacceptable in a sniper rifle. after I get my rifle putting the holes where I aim, I run an oil patch down the bore. I can take the rifle out and put one bullet where I need it. If I were to build another sniper rifle I would use the Savage and put a high quality 10 power scope on it.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Some designs have dramatically increased cost for not as dramatic an improvement. If your intention is to have a basic rifle that will shoot more accurately than many of us probably can, a basic Savage/Stevens, Winchester, or Remington rifle in 308 or 30-06 with a Bushnell scope and decent quality scope mounts should fit your budget with a good margin left for your camo finish.

One thing I just have to throw in here though, it's probably on a few of our minds too. Unless you are in law enforcement or military, you most likely will be shooting your "sniper" rifle at inanimate targets or at game animals. Find me a case of self defense "sniping" that's stood in court and I'll bake you a cake and eat it in your honor.

Now defending our nation, homes, and families against all foes foreign and domestic is of course a priority. But if you're going to get enough practice with your rifle to be any good defending your country, you're going to have to use it recreationally. Unless you're in a militia (beyond being a privately armed American) you probably won't be learning any "sniping" techniques, just the regular tried and true shooting of targets and game animals.

Perhaps a better approach is to say that something's a sniper rifle or not based on who's using it, not whether it has a "sniper" stock or a "sniper" scope. Turn on the pressure of a real life-or-death situation and a $500 or $5000 sniper rifle won't be what matters, it'll be whether the shooter can hold steady and hit his target and be ready for the next one.

Sorry to come accross as critical where not asked, but a one line request for an inexpensive "sniper" rifle doesn't indicate to me that the person behind it would make it a "sniper" rifle even if it was a Barrett M82A1.

If you'd asked about a 500yd rifle, a precision rifle, a match rifle, a target rifle, anything that described your needs, said you were on a budget... ok, no issue, no hesitation, no concern. Even with the understanding that if needed your target at long range requiring precision weaponry would be an enemy combatant. But you happened to stumble accross a question that gets asked way too much with the wrong approach to shooting. My response was not just to you but to folks out there who think war is a FPS game or who see a cool black rifle with a huge scope and think it'll make them a better shooter. Maybe that's not you, in which case, even if you don't agree with my approach, you'll at least know where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
bheiser said:
looking for an inexpensive desert cammo or reg cammo sniper rifle. Any ideas?

Are you currently employed in the assasination business? Call me a stickler for details but.... it gripes me to hear people call a rifle with a scope a sniper rifle. If the your intention is to become a high paying hitman then the term fits the description. Just as many incorrectly call semi autos ASSAULT Rifles the same goes for Scoped Rifles. The word "Sniper" is an adjective in which it is used to describe the noun "Rifle".

A highly crafted precision rifle with premium optics is just that; a highly crafted precision rifle with premium optics.

Now if you are looking for something that was designed to be a sniper rifle and/or was/is used as one then the descriptor "Sniper' would fit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yeha it sounds like someones trying to find a good rifle to snipe a few peopel and with people saying stuff like "
Bolt guns are preferred by snipers because auto loaders can give away your position."
im just joking...:cool:

now everyone thinks im liberal

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have an enfield, i just want something that looks mean and is accurate

1 - 20 of 136 Posts