Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a local shop that has them for 99.99? they also have fal and G3's for 599.99 and enfield #4mk1 159.99 are these good prices or just ok?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
Local shops tend to go higher than the online vendors. A $79 rifle from SOG can go for $125 to $150 at a shop.
$99.95 isn't bad if it's in very good condition.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
A hundred bucks seems within reason. Big 5 sells re-arsenaled ones periodically for $89.99 in Southern California; the rest of the time they're $179.99 (and I'll bet no one buys them at that; they wait for the sale). They come with oil/grease flask, canvas sling, cleaning jag, flat multi-tool (mostly for adjustig firing pin), and double ammo pouch.

Don't judge by the display gun if they're selling you one in a box. Some look like they were used for weedwackers all summer, then left in the yard all winter. Others look real good: mine was apparently unissued. It was the display, and I insisted on it instead of the one they tried to give me.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
akDom said:
I didn't pay any tax when I ordered my CZ-52 from out of state.
He probably meant the transfer fees, background check fees, etc, etc, etc...

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
At any rate, I think $100 is a little high, but if it's in good shape and you want it, go for it. I mean, it's one heck of a cool gun for 100 bucks. Just make sure to not get over excited and buy one without giving it a good going over. Good luck....

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
$100 is certainly fair if you get to inspect and choose the gun in person at an independent shop. That's worth the price difference over a chain store simply to support the business, if it's a good one. Most M91/30s out there are in splendid condition, not perfect but very good all over. For $100 it should be so.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
There are some up sides and down sides of buying off the internet.

First, and foremost, is that often when you factor in the shipping and transfer fees if you're not a C&R holder you often pay as much as most would pay in a local store.

Seconding, I really like being able to look at the gun, check it over, feel it, etc. and, of course, you only get to do that when you receive it from UPS, Fed Ex, etc.

When I first got my C&R my first order was three Mosins from SOG and they were advertised as good.

When I got them two were the poorest examples of a good conditioned rifle I have ever seen; one being poor and the other very poor condition.

Needless to say I sent them back to SOG...guess who had to pay the nearly $20 EACH UPS shipment back? You got it!

So, when it was all said and done I paid more than if I had gone to my favorite mom and pop shop.

There are good bargains to be had on the internet but one needs to be mindful there are rip-offs out there, also.

I now use my C&R to not have to go through the normal background checks and buy locally.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Dale said:
When I first got my C&R my first order was three Mosins from SOG and they were advertised as good. When I got them two were the poorest examples of a good conditioned rifle I have ever seen; one being poor and the other very poor condition.
I ran across that with a "very good" M44 from SAMCO. I certainly would not have classified it as very good. On the other hand, when I got my CZ52 from SOG, it was better than advertised.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
You pay your money and you take your chances. Better odds than winning the lottery tho and you do have something to show for it.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
quote by rebel 727:

"You pay your money and you take your chances. Better odds than winning the lottery tho and you do have something to show for it."

Wrong answer!

It's that attitude that internet sellers use to get us to buy those less-than-advertised quality firearms.

One more reason I will only buy a firearm that I can inspect personally and see for myself what I am buying before I "put the cash on the counter".

The mom and pop shop I do my business at (Prescott Valley Guns in Prescott Valley, Arizona) will give you a fair refund/exchange for a firearm that is not up to par.

Try that from a seller on the internet?!

I doubt if you can and if you do it sounds like a lot of hassle and more than I want to chance.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
odf 1bn said:
there is a local shop that has them for 99.99? they also have fal and G3's for 599.99 and enfield #4mk1 159.99 are these good prices or just ok?
I would suggest making a trip over to Middleton to AIM Surplus. www.aimsurplus.com . They have 91/30's with all accessories for $69.95. they don't have a showroom but are usually willing to bring a few out of the back for you to look at. Their address is in Springboro but that is just their warehouse, the main sales office is in Middleton.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Have any of you ordered "hand-picked" guns over the internet?

I've seen sites that advertise that for another ten or twenty bucks over the advertised price. I would imagine that whether it means anything or not depends on the site...

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
troy2000 said:
I've seen sites that advertise that for another ten or twenty bucks over the advertised price. I would imagine that whether it means anything or not depends on the site...
Some depends on the site but there is still a lot of luck-of-the-draw as well. Most dealers will pick the best of the top 5-10 guns off of the pile. What they don't tell you is there might be 500 guns in the pile and the best were ruined when the rest were dumped on top of them. I've been to several of the dealers in SGN and seen these guns stacked like railroad ties on pallets. All most of them care about is the $$$ they can get out of our pockets-they don't give a dam about the guns themselves or how they treat them.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
All the prices you mentioned seemed fair. I wish our local shops were that reasonable. Yea, you could order them cheaper with a C&R, but it is worth the $20 to get to check them out before paying. I would check out any gun very good before buying. Especially surplus stuff that has been through a war or two.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It's worth it if it's in good shape, not a bad price for a FAL either. You should pick it up when you go get that Moisin. :nod:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts