what's going on with steyr

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Matt Nichols, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Matt Nichols

Matt Nichols G&G Newbie

My friend has a steyr m series pistol chambered in 357 sig. He's asked me to research for him where he might be able to find accessories for him. The local gun shops are of no help. When I went onto the internet, I learned that steyr had been sold last year and the earlier this year, GSI inc. has stopped there support of steyr. I've emailed steyr with no responce and I am still at the same place I was before. No parts, no service. Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on?

2. I have heard the Dynamite Nobel is the new importer for Steyr here in the states. Check with them.

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Steyr Pistols are very common in Houston area gun stores. I will try to find out where they come from.

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

OK, I looked at the newly imported M10s. They are now imported by "GSI T'VILLE AL" I do not know what GSI stands for, or exactly what city T'VILLE is, but am fairly sure AL is Alabama.

5. Matt Nichols

Matt Nichols G&G Newbie

gsi is the old service center and importer for steyr. any steyr firarm that is in this country had to have been imported by gsi. I have done some looking around on dynamit nobel and it looks like once steyr finishes there restructuring, dynamite nobel will be the new importer and service center for steyr. Big problem is that everyone who knows when this will happen, isn't talking. Thanks for the replies.

6. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

wonder if BRG3 knows anything about this ?

7. silentknight

silentknight G&G Newbie

Why, does BRG3 like Steyrs?:confused:

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

yes BRG3 likes his Steyr :right:

9. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I believe the story is that Steyr did change importers from GSI to Dynamit Nobel. I think. I know it was formerly GSI.

The M series was also in the process of being updated to a revised model with a standard accessory rail. Personally, if one isn't going to use an accessory, I prefer the original. Also, manual safety was standard on the M40s, and is supposed to be optional on the M40A1s, but I have yet to see one with. So if you want a manual safety, get an original.

Not to say there's anything wrong with the A1s that doesn't meet the eye. Nothing about them seems all that different beyond grip texture and accessory rail. If you ever were considering a mid-size Glock or similar gun, I don't think you'll ever go back after one of these. Me, I wasn't a plastic gun fan until I fired a Steyr.