close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Raoul, May 14, 2002.

1. Raoul

Raoul G&G Newbie

My father is dying of cancer and has asked me to help him sell his 1951 Savage 99F (.308 Winchester round). It has an old (mid to late 60s?) Bushnell 1.5-4.5 flip-up Post scope and is in good condition.

What is something like this worth? How would I go about selling this? I know I can't put it on eBay, is there some other place to sell it online?

I found this place through the Savage99.com website, and it looks like you guys know what you're talking about.

Thanx for listening...

Raoul

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I WOULD DO ANYTHING TO HOLD ON TO ONE OF MY FATHERS FIREARMS. WHY AREN'T YOU BUYING IT FROM HIM? IF YOUR AFRAID OF RIPPING HIM OFF FIND OUT WHAT ITS WORTH AND GIVE IT TO HIM ,OR TELL HIM YOU WANT IT. I COULD NEVER WATCH ONE OF MY DADS FIREARMS GO DOWN THE ROAD WITH A STRANGER!

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I agree. I'm the 1st gun owner in my family, as my grandparents passed away before I was an adult. One day I sold a rifle to a fellow at a gun show who was planning to give it to his grandson. On the way home, I got to thinking how I will never own a gun with that kind of value, of having been given by a family member. I wish so much that I could have a gun with that kind of value.
    So if at all possible, keep it in the family. You'll be glad you did, especially when he's gone and this rifle will be something to remember him by.

4. Raoul

Raoul G&G Newbie

Well, there's a couple reasons why I'm not buying it...

One, I already bought his car and I really don't want the gun. I *am* keeping the Model 94 that he taught me with and used for deer hunting with him. (though we haven't hunted in over 20 years now) Also, this is more gun than I'd ever need... or want for that matter, not being that much into guns.

Two, I respected that he wanted to sell it. Unfortunatly, as I'm finding out, it's not worth the $800 that he thinks it is. That's gonna be the hard part, telling him it's not as valuable as he thought.

I do understand completely what you're saying, I'm just not that much into guns. I *do* cherish that Model 94, and it will mean more to me than the Savage in the long run.

Thanx guys!

5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Well if you want to know going prices for guns, try looking at gun classifieds. www.gunsamerica.com has plenty of ads that you could compare your model to. Make sure you take into account everything about it, including scope and such.

6. Raoul

Raoul G&G Newbie

There's been a question on another site about the year I posted. I checked the Serial# on savvage99.com and came up with that year. The Serial# 1117921 with the slide Safety on top

On the left side of the Barrel is says ".308 Win", on the right, "Hi Pressure Steel - Proof Tested" It has nice checkering on the Pistol-Grip and the forestock and the trigger is gold colored. Barrel length is 22" It still has the sling attached!

Email me if you want more info: rgross@ptwi.com

7. Raoul

Raoul G&G Newbie

Here's some pix...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

The late model 99F was produced from 1955-1972. My book shows it to have a low ball value of $320 and a high ball value of $495.

Man, if you're losing your pops, I'd think twice about selling it. My wife lost her father recently at the young age of 59. He had always said that he was going to give her his guns sice she grew up shooting with him. Then her mom sold them shortly after her death. She was devistated.

9. savageT

savageT G&G Newbie

Model F Savage 99

Raoul,

Per my earlier note to you:

This is a postwar Model F (1-million plus S/N means it's at least 1960 w/ new style tang safety) Imbossed checkering (1965), drilled and tapped for scope from factory w/ model ID on right side. 1971- trigger changed back from gold to blued finish. Sling swivels NOT original. Does it have a corregated steel buttplate or aluminum(1970)?...Check w/ magnet.

NOTE: You can't use Savage99.com's S/N's post 1-million....He doesn't cover them. Hope this helps.
    JimT

10. Raoul

Raoul G&G Newbie

Well, it's going down the road today for $400. I've thought twice (even 3 times!) about selling it, but my step-mother is gonna need the money.

Thanx for all the help guys!

-Raoul

11. Gunngee_.300

Gunngee_.300 G&G Newbie

I am glad that I stumbled upon this forum. I currently own a model 99F .300 savage. It was my grandfathers who bought it brand new. My dad inherited the rifle when my grandfather passed away in 77 or 78. I was quite young. I aquired it through a trade with my dad in which I traded a 6.5x55 swedish mauser by Husqvarna. I have always loved this rifle, it's so comfortable to shoot and it just feels like it's a part of me. I guess what I want to know is besides the imense sentimental value of this rifle, is it worth anything? I know it's hard to put a price on something like this but I'm just curious. It is in very good shape gets used every fall for hunting (I shot my first moose with it). The very tip of the barrel as well as the lever and trigger could use some re-bluing. It has a Weaver 2.5-7 variable scope with pivot mounts. The serial number of this rifle is 764473.

12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog G&G Newbie

Raoul, your rifle was made in 1966, should have a number with a T beside it on the front of the lever.

13. savparts

savparts G&G Newbie

You can sell it on Gun Broker

Auction Arms

14. Hunter62

Hunter62 G&G Newbie

Help: I have a Savage 99F 308 with a Ser.#911446 Hopping someone could tell me what it might be worth, this gun is 95% mint There is no Dings or marks, just a little wear on the leaver it has a weaver 4x that I was told that came with the rifle.
    Hunter

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  15. Mad Dog

Mad Dog G&G Newbie

A pre-mil 308 F with 95% condition will bring it up to around $600-$700, seen some N.I.B. pre-mil 308's sell at $1500.

16. Sagorski1611

Sagorski1611 G&G Newbie

I'm trying to figure out how much my husbands .300 Savage is worth. (Don't worry he's the one selling it.. :) )

The only markings are .300 Savage (sp) and the serial #391238. On the barrel near the scope it says "High Pressure steel proof tested" and there is a 3 just above the hinge of the lever. It is lever action. Not being familiar with guns I wouldn't know what the shape is, my guess would be good to very good. It has a few small scratches on the wood, and a few very small dents on the plate underneath the scope. The scope is a Tasco.

I found out from savage99.com that the year is either 1940, or 1914 and up.

We tried to figure out what model it is, but everything is so confusing. I think it's an R...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  17. Whootsinator

Whootsinator G&G Newbie

My God that is one beautiful weapon.

18. Sagorski1611

Sagorski1611 G&G Newbie

I just went to Savage99.com again and found out a little more information.

It has a heavy Schnoble
    A rubber butt, but not a Savage butt. The butt is from Whiteline.
    The front sight is a metal bead on a raised ramp.
    The rear sight was not found in the rear sights listed on savage99.com

19. So keep that one to and find a way to get/give him the $800 he thinks it's worth. Or tell him you want that one also and tell him you'll give him $400? Just a thought.

What he doesn't know won't hurt him. And in this case, it truly won't.

I know you might be strapped after buying the car and model 94, but, I'm sure you can find a way to do this as well.

Your call entirely of course. And if your choice is to go ahead and sell it, I suggest once you find out it's value, that you create an account on Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com (it's free to register), and sell it there.

Make sure to say in the ad that you are not an FFL and will have to add that fee into the sale and they'll have to pay any FFL fee on their end. And don't send it directly to any buyer unless they have an FFL and send you a copy.

And please, don;t take it to some gun shop and let them give you next to nothing for it. Because trust me, like a pawn shop, THEY WILL!

And I'm truly sorry to hear of your fathers illness. Prayer sent.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  20. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

How did this 8 year old post get resurrected ??? Glockmeister , you should look at dates...