close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whats Legal?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 6string, Mar 20, 2002.

1. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

If thers any gunsmiths or FFL holders out ther can you tell me if I'm wrong. Ok I'v looked at the ATF web page and read all that has to do with making guns. Anybody without a license that can legaly own a gun can make a rifle,shotgun,hand gun. as long as its not for profit. Rifle barrels can't be shorter than 16". Shotgun barrels can't be shorter than 18". Minamum length of a long gun is 26". You can put a stock on a hand gun if the barrel is at least 16" and the handgun with the stock on is no shorter than 26". I can't find anthing about making a hand gun out of a rifle or modifying a rifle. All the referance's on pistol grips are about assalt wepons. So I am thinking it's ok to put a pistol grip and a folding or removeable stock on a rifle as long as the rifle is with stock at least 26" long. Can I put a pistol grip on a rifle with a 16" or longer barrel to make it a handgun? Does this sound right or am I just trying to justify making what I want.

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Ok, handguns made out of rifles classify as AOWs, subject to NFA registration. Yeah, it's dumb. You can't put a folding stock on a semi auto rifle with a detachable magazine according to the lousy stinking assault weapon ban. Not sure about removeable or just plain absent. Putting a pistol grip on a rifle doesn't make it a handgun. Actually, technically you can't make a handgun out of the rifle, technically it's an AOW.

I hope this helps. I doubt it helps your sanity, but at least it'll help you stay legal. Anything more specific you have in mind? Maybe we could think of stuff to do to accomplish the same ends.

3. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

This might sound dumb but I have a singleshot NEF .22lr that I made a pistolgrip for. It has a 16-1/4"barrel and a red dot sight. This is the poor mans contender. I'm not trying to make a handgun out off a semiauto. I just like to mess with stuff. Thanks.

4. BattleRifleG3

Ok, being single shot, it has nothing at all to do with any assault weapon bans. Adding a pistol grip does not hurt its legality at all. Neither does it cease to be a rifle. The question is, is it at least 26" long? If so, you're fine. If not, figure some way to extend the buttstock before they come to take you away, ha ha! (That's a song, I'm not laughing at you.) Cause you know they're watching you every moment... watching you eat baloney... watching you in the bathroom... Watching you at night, cause they never get to... yeah.

5. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Is that the basket weaver's With little white coats. So *** long as a rifle or shotgun is 26" min, it can have just a pistol grip? Cool I'v searched the ATF, NRA , Local State Laws and can't find anything That says I can't do this as long as it's not a semiauto.

6. OldSchool

OldSchool G&G Newbie

Good thread. I've been kicking around the idea of transforming a Turkish Mauser into a single shot sillouet type pistol similar to the xp 100. Anyone know if thats OK? This thread got me to thinking about possible problems since it is a surplus military weapon and it would have a barrel shorter than 16"

OldSchool

7. Tony @ WCG

Tony @ WCG G&G Newbie

Ohio
    You can not take a rifle action and make a hand gun no matter what you do. Once a receiver is barrelled into a rifle, it always is a rifle according to BATF. In fact, new unused recivers must be papered as rifle or handgun receivers when new and built that way. If you take a rifle receiver and make a handgun, you now have built a SBR (short barrelled rifle) class 3 weapon. Careful guys.

8. BattleRifleG3

SBR not AOW? Good to know. Do you have a final word on whether having a pistol grip w/o buttstock is legal on a rifle as long as it's 26"+ and barrel 16"+?

9. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

If it was ever assembled as a rifle ( the receiver ) , you can not mahe a pistol out of it , unless you register it with BATF as a short barrel rifle . Then there is the matter of your local & state laws .

More trouble than it is worth .

Best I remember , you can make a pistol into a rifle .

Wyr
    God Bless

10. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

OK it's me again. You can put a stock on a pistol if the barrel is 16"+ and the overall length is at least 26" Thats haw you can get kits for your 1911. The laws are goofy. Can you put a stock or pistol grip on a Contender with the proper barrel length? Can you put a folding stock on a non semiauto rifle or shotgun with the proper barrel length? I'm pretty new to guns and shooting and I like to tinker, Thats why I ask alot of qwestions.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2002
  11. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

ATF rules say that if there is a folding stock on a non-semi-auto shotgun or rifle, the overall length of the weapon will be measured with the folding portion EXTENDED/ FULLY OPEN. You can put a stock of any configuration on a Contender as long as the BBL is at least 16" and the overall length is at least 26".(since it not a semi-auto) So the answer to your questions is, yes. HTH -UR.

12. OldSchool

OldSchool G&G Newbie

Bummer! Sure thought the mauser/pistol conversion would be a fun project. Oh well, just gotta love them gun laws that make just perfect sense.

OldSchool