Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I wanted to know why many people love the mauser action. Is it more reliable if not can you explain the whats different about the action. I dont know much about the actions and all the hardware names on the action so can you explain in simple terms.

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
It is a positive feed is very strong and really smooth to operate and can be readily be curstomized and is pleasing to the eye what more can you ask for.
Steve

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Registered
366 Posts
Smooth.

And the rearward bolt handle makes scoping a breeze.

*still prefers the strong and reliable mosin action, which noone builds hunting rifles on without bubbatizing mosins - but they should!*

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
I would but they are so danged ugly to start with it would be like making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The mosin that is
Steve

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I love the mauser action because it is something like if you were going to have a wreck over and over would you rather it be in a semi or a vw rabbit ? The mauser is the semi .

·
Registered
444 Posts
The mauser action is kinda the original Strong and very copied actions. Many rifles have copied off of their design and they are very strong. For example the winchester Model 70 pre 64 models had a lot of resemblance to them and the 1903 Springfield was a very close copy. The action has a large claw type extractor for positive loading of rounds and unloading of rounds. The oversize claw helps prevent stuck rounds from slipping out of or breaking the extractor. The action is also very strong and well designed so it is also smooth and not ugly. It can shoot out many barrels, so it makes a good one for a custom rifle if you wanted to make one.
I like the action, but I somewhat prefer other actions. My personal favorite is the remington 700 action. I have a custom rifle using the remington 722 action and if i were to make another it would be on a remington 700 action.

·
Registered
286 Posts
like has already been said they are smooth as silk covered in snot. they are accurate as almost any can shoot and they have more than enough knockdown power for almost anything in the western hemisphere

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Definitely the positive feed and extraction, and a real smooth action. I have three '03 rifles in addition to a Mauser Kar98k, and I have a natural attachment to their actions. Remember, Springfield Armory unashamedly copied the Mauser action and the U.S. government even paid royalties to the Mauser Company for the rights to copy it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Definitely the positive feed and extraction, and a real smooth action. I have three '03 rifles in addition to a Mauser Kar98k, and I have a natural attachment to their actions. Remember, Springfield Armory unashamedly copied the Mauser action and the U.S. government even paid royalties to the Mauser Company for the rights to copy it.
The USA paid the german company royalties, while the USA weapons were killing the germans.

Youtube search 98 mauser top ten. It is the top ten from the military channel, i think it is number 5. They kind of give a brief history of it and it has pictures and videos. It was hitlers favorite rifle.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Oviously it's heavy duty and mx308250 touched on the claw extractor.

The Claw will pull out a spent case with authority. It is a battle rifle action where you don't want any stuck case's shutting you down and as a hunting rifle lets pretend your hunting dangerous game and your case was stuck, the claw will pull it out.

As far as accuratcy it's only a toss up because some push feeds are more accurate than a Mauser action.

The Mauser action is more exspensive to build than a push feed until CNC machine's came along.

Ruger casts there Mauser type actions in a special high temp wax to keep cost down and it's been found as of late there the strongest to date. This is investment casting.

Though other style actions are available the Mauser action is thought to be the Crown Jewel of Boltactions.

To me the Ruger Mauser type action is a work of fine art ...A.H

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
To add on to what they are saying almost any bolt action rifle it is built off the basic Mauser action even the Remington 700 is just a highly customized mauser action.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
First you must distinguish between "Mauser M98 and clones" and "Mauser cloned" actions.Without going into real details the military version of "Mauser" is not a strong action.It is very flexible,hard to bed,the port or opening is way too large making it weak and if anyone thinks the bolt is "smooth as silk"they never had a smooth bolt action in their hands.The bolt and housing are very sloppy so they could handle dirt but subject to binding when worked rapidly.The locks if loaded to modern pressures are very apt to indent the locks in the breech causing headspace problems and very prone to wear.Barrel attachment,while being great for high production,leaves a lot to be desired as to accuracy. And lock time,trigger pull,and safety are at least,obnocious. On the other hand the clones like FN,Rem.,Win.,etc put out with better bolt guides,tighter cartridge ports,much,much stronger housings,locks that can stand pressure,adjustible ore improved trigger,better safety,improved lock time,,,,,,oh well,sufice it to say there are much better actions to build on than the military version Mauser,and by the time you get a decent trigger,closed bolt shroud or add on safety,true the barrel threads,heat treat,,,,all the little things like possibly building up and machining the locks and such,you can buy an action that is virtually set up to go and eleminate numerous things enherent to military Mauser actions.FN Mauser made a decent action,but not for sporting rifles. (and I never even got into the magazine)And yes I believe the 60% 3lock actions are a big improvement. sam.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The mauser action is kinda the original Strong and very copied actions. Many rifles have copied off of their design and they are very strong. For example the winchester Model 70 pre 64 models had a lot of resemblance to them and the 1903 Springfield was a very close copy. The action has a large claw type extractor for positive loading of rounds and unloading of rounds. The oversize claw helps prevent stuck rounds from slipping out of or breaking the extractor. The action is also very strong and well designed so it is also smooth and not ugly. It can shoot out many barrels, so it makes a good one for a custom rifle if you wanted to make one.
I like the action, but I somewhat prefer other actions. My personal favorite is the remington 700 action. I have a custom rifle using the remington 722 action and if i were to make another it would be on a remington 700 action.
I like so much what was said above I could'nt help but to quote what was said and add a little.Remington if I'm not mistaken built a rifle with the claw extractor that looked alot like Mauser not long ago,kind of funny that Mausers are copied so much,not much to break,simple strong and if something is broke it is easy to fix in minutes ,just about everyone that sells stocks has Mauser stocks,and I've heard that you can even shoot them upsidedown but I dont think I will.They have always been my favorite for a hunting rifle and can be fine target rifle with a good quality barrel.:burnout:

·
Registered
5,998 Posts

I thought some images might help describe what we're all trying to convey in words. I'm not trying to say there is anything "magical" or "mystical" about a Mauser action, but is does seem to come closest to that fine line of advanced machine design, ruggedness, and smooth operation as one can get. I know that military war built Mausers like the World War II K98s can be a little rough around the edges and certainly, their 2-stage triggers have a lot to be desired, but many that I've used, including 98s, that were converted to sporters were some of the finest rifles I've ever encountered. Those are just my thoughts on the Mauser action.

New commercial GMA Mauser action

Top view on the K98k action. clearly seen are safety switch, extractor and stripper clip guides
("7 62" markings on the receiver ring mean that this particular specimen was rebarreled to the 7.62mm NATO / .308 Win cartridge)
[SIZE=-1]image courtesy of DOC[/SIZE]

View on the partially open K98k action, ready to feed another round

Famous model 98 bolt. Top - showing the "controlled feed ability", bottom - the bolt unit alone

·
Registered
502 Posts
I like it on dangerous game, especially in Tanzania when lion are in the bush. I really like the Ruger Hawkeye for it's control feed and strong, I mean strong extraction. Control feed has so many advantages and is dependable to say the least.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I really got outvoted on this one!I can understand as I used to think Mauser 98 was the way to go.It was because there wasn't much of anything else available at a decent price.Today I find most any action I want ready to go running between $350. and $500.and they are smoother,stronger,and not nearly as flexible.A Mauser 98 action can be set up pretty good but only with a good size investment.There are even FN Mauser actions that are an improvement on the 98.This is my own personal findings and if all of you love the 98 I hope you sporterize or custom them and enjoy them as much as I have some 98,s.Mostly,I have found there is a better way to go for me.(I still have some sporterised 98,s around I think a lot of) sam.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts