Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Well the claw extractior, and may I say the will always fire if the round is good!

ALWAYS

Not a more reliable rifle avaible.

I like a 98 style action.

My Interarms Mark X is just about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The original question is not specific but assuming you mean the '98 the really great thing about it's design is it's gas handling ability. The two large gas ports in the bolt body that face into the left lug race, the half moon shaped indent for the thumb in the Receiver rail,when using stripper clips, the flange in the bolt body itself. I have read where a case had failed and the shooter wasn't aware of it 'till he opened the bolt. The '98 is better equipped to handle expanding gas than any other action I have ever seen. Back in the early days of smokeless powder because of the unreliability of ammunition this could save your life.The rest of the design is copied by just about all manufacturers of bolt action rifles. unfortunately not the gas handling design characteristcs.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
I have quite a few Mauser rifles and actions. Its a very good design and for being designed over 120 years ago and still in use should tell you something. Winchester Interarms, and others copied their design.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have quite a few Mauser rifles and actions. Its a very good design and for being designed over 120 years ago and still in use should tell you something. Winchester Interarms, and others copied their design.
Wonder if you have a Springfield, 1903A3 or Remington. If so I understand the Springfield has a gas port which faces into the left lug race. is ths correct? I'm interested in knowing if the Springfield is equipped to handle gas as is the Mauser. Thank You.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The mauser action is kinda the original Strong and very copied actions. Many rifles have copied off of their design and they are very strong. For example the winchester Model 70 pre 64 models had a lot of resemblance to them and the 1903 Springfield was a very close copy. The action has a large claw type extractor for positive loading of rounds and unloading of rounds. The oversize claw helps prevent stuck rounds from slipping out of or breaking the extractor. The action is also very strong and well designed so it is also smooth and not ugly. It can shoot out many barrels, so it makes a good one for a custom rifle if you wanted to make one.
I like the action, but I somewhat prefer other actions. My personal favorite is the remington 700 action. I have a custom rifle using the remington 722 action and if i were to make another it would be on a remington 700 action.
Actually he Arisaka in 7.7mm has what is considered an improvement on the Mauser. The bolt head is recessed so the casehead is enclosed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The USA paid the german company royalties, while the USA weapons were killing the germans.

Youtube search 98 mauser top ten. It is the top ten from the military channel, i think it is number 5. They kind of give a brief history of it and it has pictures and videos. It was hitlers favorite rifle.
One German sodier was good for at least 3 Americans.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts