close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what's the best .308 semi auto

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by johno, Apr 23, 2002.

1. johno

johno G&G Newbie

military style rifles only. I'm thinking of buying an FAL, L1A1 (is there a difference between these two?) or an M1A. are these good choices?

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Dont have one but on my list would be M-14 or AR-10 just personal preference.

3. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

If I understand FAL's, the L1A1 is the Aussie "inch" version. FAL is the overall "parent" of the various models. What are you going to do with it? The M1A is the better rifle for match shooting. The FAL's may be less expensive for to buy parts for. Both are nice.

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I'd also include some version of the HK-91. I'd say they're the most durable. Can be accurate too.

5. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Well ALMOST as good as our 30.06 M1s

I'd have to go with the M1A !

New is not always Good!

6. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

What no frog guns?

French MAS 49/56 308 conversion. They are usually around 2-300. I like mine but I do not do a lot of shooting so I do not know if it is good over the long haul. Only downfal is 10 rd mag. There is a conversion to accept 20 rd fnfal mags(i believe) but it calls for some butchering that I would not accept.

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i would say M1a. **** fine rifle. i 'm not familar with the others though the FAL could be good to.:D

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I'm partial to the M1A, as it's basically the M14 I used in the Navy. If I wanted something to really trick out, it would be the AR-10, as a lot of AR-15 accessories would fit.

:assult:

9. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

The AR-10, slightly modified for my type of combat use, is currently my #1 choice. M1A is always a good choice. Unfortunately, I'm not made of money. Too bad Ruger didn't come out with a Mini-14 design in 308. Now that'd be sweet!

10. I'L take a FAL.

my vote goes to the FAL, second the STEYR STG 58, and third the M-14.

11. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

AR-10, but costs too much.

M-14 comes to mind also, wish uncle billy hadn't of had them all destroyed, sure woulda liked one of those.

Haven't shot a FAL, but if ya know me, I'm not picky!

12. Benny

Benny G&G Newbie

I had an STG 58 that I had a lot of problems with. Put my vote in for an M1A or M14. Beautiful gun.

Benny