1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
.308 would be superior to the .223, it has a bigger bullet, and more energy

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Pigs and goats in the smae hunt? First I've ever heard of that.

I'm not experienced in either, but my impression was that hogs would be found in denser foliage, at shorter range, and require heavy knockdown. I always assumed goats would be longer range shots, but unlikely to get violent with the shooter.

Good, bad assumptions?

If I had to use one for both my brainstorming suggestions would be a 270, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, 308, 30-06, 300 WSM, and 300 Win Mag. All depending on your preferences and hunting/shooting style.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i agree with BattleRifleG3 any of those weapons would be more than sufficent for the game you asked about my personal preference 30-06 for pigs but hey what do i know

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would use a .30-06. Here's why: In heavy brush, you can get I think 220 grain bullets for awesome knock down power. In open regions, you can go to the 140-150 grain bullets for a flat trajectory.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ive hunted pigs and Goats in the same hunt in scrubby farm land.

Depends on areas

7mm08 would be good round

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I`ve hunted wild boar in Germany and i`m here to tell ya, I want all the gun i can get. I used a 30-06 and the results where out standing.
Big boar and little pills don`t mix. IMO.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
When I lived in Florida and hunted Deer and Piney wood Rooters, my first gun was a Milsurp .303 British Carbine, then I graduated to a .30/06. My partner used a .308 with good results as well. The object is to open a large enough wound channel and drop an animal in his tracks in relation to the size of the animal and toughness...The hogs I hunted ranged from 100 lbs. up to 1200 lbs. and those old Boars were tough and had shoulder Pads that rivaled body armor and very thick skulls. For Myself, nothing less than a .30 caliber would be sufficient !
Rich

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
When I lived in Florida and hunted Deer and Piney wood Rooters, my first gun was a Milsurp .303 British Carbine, then I graduated to a .30/06. My partner used a .308 with good results as well. The object is to open a large enough wound channel and drop an animal in his tracks in relation to the size of the animal and toughness...The hogs I hunted ranged from 100 lbs. up to 1200 lbs. and those old Boars were tough and had shoulder Pads that rivaled body armor and very thick skulls. For Myself, nothing less than a .30 caliber would be sufficient !
Rich
I agree with Moose, good wild boar calibers start at .308, and go up from there

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Rich
Moose, we are gonna get flamed by the "less then .30 cal" crowd :D

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Yeah, but those guys are armchair hunters because they never Been charged by a 1000+ lb. Hog with 10 inch tusks sharp enough to cut brush with and had a Hog Dog ripped from elbow to appetite right in front of them , after shooting Mr.Hog with a 20 GA. Slug, Right at that moment you realize...."I dont have enough gun, better climb a tree NOW!" and you wish you had a Cannon....Cause all you did was make him MAD !!!
Their Ain't No convincing Personal Experience Folks, so they shouldn't even try....Less than .30 is Not arguable.:slap:
Rich

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
M
Yeah, but those guys are armchair hunters because they never Been charged by a 1000+ lb. Hog with 10 inch tusks sharp enough to cut brush with and had a Hog Dog ripped from elbow to appetite right in front of them , after shooting Mr.Hog with a 20 GA. Slug, Right at that moment you realize...."I dont have enough gun, better climb a tree NOW!" and you wish you had a Cannon....Cause all you did was make him MAD !!!
Their Ain't No convincing Personal Experience Folks, so they shouldn't even try....Less than .30 is Not arguable.:slap:
Rich
It really is hard to argue with that, I'd rather use too much gun, and kill the pig, then to not use enough, and have 800 lbs of angry pork chasing after me. When hunting game, where there is a possibility of being attacked, there is no such thing as "too much gun"

1 - 20 of 46 Posts