close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's the best manual(s) ?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Pauly, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Just shelled out for a bunch of gear from Dillon and, whilst I figure out just what the heck to do with it, I thought I should consider a good manual or two.
    Is there a "be all and end all, you beaut gospel", or do I need several and just mix em' up a bit ?
    I have no experience with this whatsoever.

Thanks.

2. I have Hornaday manuals. It is a two manual set. The first has reloading data for rifle and pistol. The second has bullet drops at different yardages at different velocities for different calibers. It also has a section at the front of the first book that has a lot of details on reloading. I think most of the manuals are good. Good luck. I have reloaded several 1000's of rounds on a Dillon 550 and had good luck.

3. Robert

Robert Member

I have the Speer and it is good as well. I need to get a hornady book. I am waiting before I buy another, as a lot of these books just came out with thier revisions a little more than a year ago, and some of the cartridges I load for arent listed. The Hornady is great, but is missing some of the powders that I use, vs.versa with the Speer. I like to compare loads from different books. Another VERY GOOD ADDITION... is Cartridges of the World, by Frank Barnes, it has basic loads for everything, even obsolete cartridges, wildcats, histories of the firearms. A lot of wonderful info for anyone who want accurate research for all the odds and ends that you might come up with. Answers questions that you wont find anywhere else. It sits right next to my computer with my Speer manual and my Thompson Contender book for research

4. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I have Speer and I have Sierra's manual and ballistic software on disk -- but I also have all the powder manufacturer's as well. Each one has its benefits some address cast bulets some don't. Older manuals address obsolete loads newer one's don't so all I can say is that it depends on what you are looking for.

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Have had good enough experience with the Speer to upgrade it to a new one. I also like the freebie manuals from the Mfg's. the more you can get your hands on the better.

6. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

The manual I would be lost with out is the Lyman 47th I breakes everything down and has a lot of info.I also have the seirra,acurate arms,(the book not the hand out)hornady.And I have the one caliber one book for every caliber I load.

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MUCH INFORMATION ON LOADING

7. J.A.

J.A. G&G Newbie

All the powder and bullet mfg's have data on their websites.
    I have several editions of Hornady,Serria,Speer,Accurate Arms,Lyman, and Lee reloading manuals.
    The best overall is the Lee as it has the most cartridges listed of any manual and powders from all mfg's. It lists bullets by weight not brand.
    I use the AA manual quite alot as their powder is usally a couple of dollars cheaper a pound than other brands. This is not a factor when loading for accuracy but is when loading a couple of thousand .223,308,and 7.62x39mm. That are used to stop the hoards of E-vile pine sapplings trying to take over a friends shooting range.

8. Thanks guys.
    Looks like I'd better pick up a couple of book ends too. lol

Cheers.

9. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    a couple of boxes of 500 count lead bullets would make fine bookends. why waste space!

10. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I have used many of the available manuals over the years and I think I like the Lyman the best. But they all are very good sources of data.

11. Double D

Double D G&G Newbie

SOCAL
    I'll throw my vote behind the Lyman book as well very detailed info for the novice reloader and great fro the expert too as a refresher. Covers many popular cartridges and poweders(though not Varget which I am using at the moment). I am considering either the Hodgdon or Barnes(once thery fix it) amnuals as additional info.

12. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

when you start loading difrent bullets of same weight you better double chek your load info it is not allway interchangeable with other bullet manufactures. a case and point a 180 partion (nosler) will show signs of presure way before a cor-loc or seirra of 180 grain

13. That's an interesting point sadiehn. I guess I should only load stuff I have exact data for. Well, I'll be going to a gun show tomorow, so I guess I should take a fat wallet. Mabye find some interesting book-ends as well.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers.

14. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

Pauly When you start loading try an experiment. load diffrent bullets the same weight and watch for presure.be cafeful not to go over book spec on bullet manufacter recomendations.You will find that some bullets will go 2-3 grains more than others I have even seen this in bullets from the same manufacter boattails to flat backs. and lot to lot

15. I Used VihtaVuori OY

I been using 4- manuals, Speer (came with the RCBS reloading set), Sierra, Hogdon and V V.
    I like the later, VihatVuori a lot (but I'm still using the 2nd Edition). Very informative, simplified and well done. Some of the informations Ihad have read in this manual were not mentioned in the others. I read and heard that a lot of 6mm PPC benchrest shooters used VihtaVuori manuals and powder. So I tried it too. I very satisfied with the V V manual. Also, I'm planning to get the hornady manual set simply because I got hornady dies in .308.

Good luck in choosing.

To all : Anybody knows where to get the latest Edition of the VihtaVuori Manual. I bought my 2nd edition at the gun show at Civic Center in St. Paul MN. Thanks

Superbee:) :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2002
  16. It Depends upon

Pauly
    What kind shooting are you going to do, depends on the kind of powder and manual you need to have. Some manuals and powder are designated to a particular purpose like hunting or target shooting.

17. mjm90675

mjm90675 G&G Newbie

PA
    I have several but always find myself using the Lyman #47 manual, it covers alot of different bullets and powders.

18. bob

bob G&G Newbie

i have several each from speer, lyman, hornady and a number of 'one of's' dedicated to specific cartridges and the hand outs from the bullet/powder makers. have found the lee manual helpful, as i have several websites, just type 'reloading' into your search engine and you will get a TON of data. i regret having given away the manuals i had when i first started loading in the 60's. never get rid of an old manual, some day you will need it because many of the newer books have little or no data on older cartridges, ie, 32/20, 32/40, 25/20, etc. keep a binder with your loading data and your targets, list the weather, wind, sun, etc for each group. most of all, you must be VERY CAUTIOUS when you load, especially with pistol powders, many of which make it easy to double charge a case. go slow when you start, ask questions, double check until you think you have it, then triple check yourself! the old saw about "familiarity breeding contempt " is too true when handleing things that go bang! be incredibly careful when handleing primers, especially if your loader carries them in a vertical stack.

19. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Might want to try Loadmap they are set up for one caliber per card. They are set up on a slide scale. My bother in law swears by them I have yet to try'em. You might look into software they have a loading manual on cd-rom that is supose to help calculate reduced loads and pressures. Just my two cents. I use Lee's Modern Reloading and the 2 book Hornady set but I use the Lee book the most. It's a little more universal and has more loads for cast lead a little cheaper than shooting jacketed bullets. Every penny helps. Best of luck to you hope you enjoy it Pauly