Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
CMP M1s?

Do you means the Rack Grade M1s? If so, I hadn't heard about the cracked stocks. CMP does advertise the barrels on a Rack Grade as having need of replacement "after a few thousand rounds". I doubt if they'd send one intentionally with a cracked stock.

I understand Rack Grade to mean a rifle that someone wants an M1 mainly for a wallhanger, who might take it out evry so often and shot 40-50 rounds or so.

I'm sure the regular SGs will be as usual. CMP has an excellent reputation for customer service and I doubt that's going to change, especially on their regular SGs.

Where did you get your information?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Rack Grade vs. SG

I was going back and forth on a Rack Grade vs. regular SG, but after this discussion and other things I have read, I think I'll go with a SG SA with a politely-worded note asking for a 2-3 million receiver.

It seems to me if you get an SG with any problems, the CMP will fix it - they always have done so in the past. With a Rack Grade, it seems like you're buying "well-used goods" and your chances of getting something fixed are less.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I got a 335XXX from CMP in 1999. Obviously rebuilt, but shoots like a dream - I'm just learning how good it can shoot. New stock, reparked -- nice rifle. Like I said, I'll probably go for the standard SG, but I think they are well-worth the money. My 1999 experience made me want another. So, I'm saving -- 10.00 here, 20.00 there. Should reach my goal by late spring or early summer.

I would be interested to find out what the Rack Grade ones look like. Hopefully, by the time I place my order, well have some feedback from those ordering them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Collecting

Rick,
I think you made some good points, but if you look at the price of M1s, even with all the CMP rifles now on the market, I think price has stayed steady or even gone up. The large number available was balanced out by the large numbers of new collectors coming as a result of "Saving Private Ryan", "Band of Brothers" and others.

Believe me, I wish I could go back to the "good old days" when a 1903 could be had for $39.95 (Don't want to date myself, but that's what I paid in 1967). But it ain't gonna happen. We're all going to have to work the system to the best of our ability.

Life was sweet - I was going to buy another SG M1 - now you have choices between SG, Rack Grade and 16 varieties of M1903. For someone with only enough funds to buy ONE more rifle, they're not making this easy!

Regards, Rick

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think you make a good point - everything else being equal, I would rather buy something I can see. HOWEVER - I operate on a very limited budget and the cost of most M1s (especially the ind I like, 1942 and before) are simply beyond my means.

Plus, this is the closest I'll ever come to gambling!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.