Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why the change in the CMP. From the description I read they are shipping out guns reguardless of stock cracks, and selling M1's with significantly worn barrels.

I think all this stream lining and selling guns that should have been parted out is only going to line the pockets of the top adiministrators. I know If I ordered a $575 garand it better not have a crack in the stock.

I like the idea you could buy the receiver of choice, but don't throw out QA in the stock inspections. I wanted to get a Garand without the stock and fitting a new camo synthetic on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also note fewer parts offered

Looking at the parts avail, looks like they thinned their offerings too. example M14 / M1A parts... you can't get the GI flash supressor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read their descriptions - It's in there

I have been aware of the CMP since 1998. In the past they would only sell service grade rifles It was their lowest grade they offered. Their throaght erosion not to exceede 5.

They never offered a rack grade for sale before. They would part them out. Now they are selling them.

As for the cracked stocks, Look at the description of the service grade carefully and be aware of what else happened. They no longer sell the Service or now new sub-classification "rack" grade without wood. Meaning,,, Ta-daa they pass the junk wood to US.

A Cracked stock and or front hand guard must be fixed or replaced. It is the top hand guard with a minor crack that can be over looked.

BE aware, now that the CMP isn't parting out rifles like they used to, spare parts will rise in prices also. Comsumers will pay for it. while Fulton, Orion and all others who sell parts will applaud it.

I too am a supporting member and have been since 1998, and believe in their original charter, but that doesn't mean I am blind or will over look when their standards are lowered.

In today's enviroment less service and more cost, I can't help but wonder who's going to get a fat bonus, gas guzzeling SUV or other perks out of this while the supporting shooting community pays for it. It is supposed to be NON-Profit.

It is like Springfield inc. throwing all the QA rejects 'junk parts' together they produce to compete with the norinco's.

Don't shoot the messanger - call the CMP and inquire for your self :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wood that is basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks and may be well used with nicks, bruises and gouges; the three wood components may vary in type of wood (walnut and birch) and condition; components may be a combination of various manufacturers and from different time periods;

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
legislation and CMP setting price

When a major source raises or lowers the price, the market follows. In example, last year H&R garands were selling for about 700 to 800 bucks at shows and internet. Now that you can specificaly order them, for 550 (shipping included) they will drop to 600 to 700.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
WOW, Just opened the CMP box containing my Danish. Stock had the flakey grain which might be replaced at some time, but the find was the TE of 1 and ME of 1.2-1.4 on the gauge. Already in the grease for storage. Date on the rcvr was early 45. Will tear it apart after turkey season for all the numbers.

Got to give credit where it is due, I consider this a bargain and expect it will shoot better than I. - This is why I will, as I have said in the past, continue to support the C. M. P. Not only for the value, but what I hope they will return to the shooting community.

Now the worry is on about the Service grade I will receive,
Hope I get a good metal like above, Heck I can always send the furniture to the Stock Doc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.