Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have two CMP Garands. My son and I shot the course in the summer of 99. We sent away for a SG for him and received a Springfield receiver with all SA parts in about 6 weeks. The rifle was rebarreled in 1955 and looked like it was stored in drain oil . The stock was so black and sticky you could not handle it. After some careful cleaning we found a nice 3 piece walnut stock under the mess that had very few major dings or dents. It shoots great.

I ordered a Select Grade and it took them 2.5 years to fill that order. What I received was an H&R receiver (appears brand new) rebarreled in 66 with a SA barrel. It's other parts are SA with a Winchester trigger group. The stock was Birch and also appears to be a brand new never issued. The stock was flawless and still had the feel of newly stained wood. It had tape residue on the wood where the three pieces were taped together. It has two cartouche marks (proof firing and boxed eagle/3 stars) Even the web sling I received with it looks new issued. Other than the mismatched parts it appears as if it was never reissued after it was rebarreled in 66.

I only received this one the past Nov. and have not had a chance to shoot it. Now that the weather is getting better I'm getting the bug to see just what it'll do. These are great rifles with lots of history. I also enjoy them because as an 18 year old Marine in 1964 I carried one of these through my ACT & ITR training at Camp LeJeune, NC

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.