Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is a '67 and a '78. 7mmMag and 308. Also do you pronounce them as Say'-koh, so people understand you. Or do you pronounce them as Sah'-ko in the correct Finnish regardless of what others think ?? Just wondering !!

·
Super Moderator
11,533 Posts
Mine is a '67 and a '78. 7mmMag and 308. Also do you pronounce them as Say'-koh, so people understand you. Or do you pronounce them as Sah'-ko in the correct Finnish regardless of what others think ?? Just wondering !!
Hey Swede - I just saw this and will respond although it got a month of dust...ha Technically it is SOCK-oh. But I had a chance to talk to a Rep from Finland in 2000, and he smiled when someone asked, and said that we buy enough of their rifles that we can pronounce it any way we like. :) Most folks simply know it as a Sayko.....but purists who are quick to correct love to point out that seiko is a watch. (purists can be a pain)

I have a mod 75 purchased in 98. The most consistent and accurate rifle I have ever owned.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
1943 M39 SAKO is an acronym , I guess it became a trademark later. Stands for Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja Oy, Civil Guard Gun and Manchiningworks Ltd.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey cjleete- Thanks for reminding me of my other Sako, LOL !!

·
Super Moderator
11,533 Posts
How do I determine the year? my dad gave me a 30.06 Sako Finnbear Delux
Hey Bud - Try this link. Click on the PDF download "Old Sako rifle mfg. dates"
Google

The fifth down from the top I think.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a mint condition Sako Forester I bought off the original owner,who hardly shot it. I made sure it was all cleaned up & lightly oiled but have not shot it myself. He bought it new in 1966. I also have a mint condition Model 75,both in 243. I have a few other 243's that do fine,so I don't feel the need to bring out the Sako's. I probably will some day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice to hear from a "in the know" Scandhoovian

1943 M39 SAKO is an acronym , I guess it became a trademark later. Stands for Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja Oy, Civil Guard Gun and Manchiningworks Ltd.
-- That is 100% Korrect!!

Here's another Military Acronym-- the WW11 British answer to our fine but heavy BAR-- their BREN gun, in .303 British. It had one great advantage over the great BAR- had a 30 rd. magazine mounted on top of the receiver group at about 10:30 o'clock position--

Our BAR, and later the M-1 revised to the M-14 (with the move from 30-06 to .308 Nato cal.) have 20 rd. magazines. The advantage is not just the extra 10 rds., but that the operator can stay lower to the ground with the BREN.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh my- a SAKO Forester is a real shooter-

I have a mint condition Sako Forester I bought off the original owner,who hardly shot it. I made sure it was all cleaned up & lightly oiled but have not shot it myself. He bought it new in 1966. I also have a mint condition Model 75,both in 243. I have a few other 243's that do fine,so I don't feel the need to bring out the Sako's. I probably will some day.
About 20 years ago I bought the first and only SAKO I own, and it is the last BA FN actioned centerfire rifle I would EVER part with. It is one of the quality 'pre-Garcia Corp.' rifles, a made in Finland L579 with std. Sporter 22" barrel from Swedish Bofors steel--

I bought from the opignal purchaser, who bought it new in 1961- Has the front ramp and hood and the original 1" Factory rings- He had it scoped with a Fixed Power Leupold, and now it wears a Leupold VariX-2 4x12 matte finish with duplex rangfinder and parallax adjustments-

If I had a $ bill for every crow, fox, coyote, feral cat, raccoon, possum and even deer I have shot with that sweet SAKO, I could buy another in .270Win and scope it with another Leupold, and have enuf left for ammo-

I kid you not, get that .243Win SAK to the range and start shooting it seriously- you will love it- the critters, well maybe not so much.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a great rifle you have there !! I have a couple of Sako's and I love them all !! The BEST rifles I own actually. All are more accurate than I am. A buddy shot my .308 Mannlicher Carbine with Schmidt & Bender 1/2x6x43 Sniper Scope, and offered me $2k on the spot !! No deal. $3k maybe...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used the link posted above to determine that the SAKO Forester 243 that my Dad passed down to me was made in the early 60's. My daughter is already shooting it and I intend on passing it down to her.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
If you can box it up and send it to the official SAKO testing lab, I can make the determination if it is deluxe or not :)

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What style of checkering does it have BudW ?? Is it a glossy finish, or oil rubbed ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a SAKO Finbear in a 264mag sn8xxx. It's the only one I have ever seen or heard of.
It is a total tack driver with factory ammo and I hope to get the time to work up some load charts to post results for you.
I'm trying to get hold of solid 5/16'' x 3/32''x5'' silver strap for an inlay on it.

If you have any info on 264mag, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My gun buddy was getting a twinkle in his eye yesterday when I said I 'almost' should sell my 1966 Forester. I was feeling a little guilty when the wife saw an email about a new BLR purchase & asked why I need another gun?

I know I better keep the Forester at least long enough to see if my 2 boys come to appreciate a nice firearm. I won't give it to either at 18, maybe by 30 if I'm around I'll know their intentions.

·
Registered
140 Posts

You beat me a little

I have a Sako Forrester 243Deluxe-new in 1967.

Fall 2009 I shot doe and 5 min later a coyote that had been trailing/pushing the doe and 2 fawns. Both dead right there.
Rem Core Lokts-100 gr(handloads), I believe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts