Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a partner for my Polish Tantal AK-74.

There used to be LOTS (like several pages) of listings on Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, GunAuction but now I only see a few and boy are they way over priced...

What's the deal with AK-74s?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Probably the same thing that sent prices for most sks's soaring higher than most ak prices :mad: . Granted they're better rifles overall but some of these prices are stupidly absurd. :mad:

Reactions: Jaison and jwrauch

·
Registered
11,852 Posts
Cheap, steel core 5.45x39 ammo is no longer the cheapest quality round you can find. Thank you Obama...you a$$hole! A great round too.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,018 Posts
Not nearly as many made and shipped to us. The supply is scarce, as is the ammo.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Fleet Farm near me has 5.45x39 still pretty low.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Cheap, steel core 5.45x39 ammo is no longer the cheapest quality round you can find. Thank you Obama...you a$$hole! A great round too.
About 3 years ago I mistakenly ordered about three boxes of the crap thinking it was 5.56. (Did I mention I am highly numbers dyslexic?) I still have it laying around somewhere, and have nothing to shoot it.

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
Anybody able to tell me what it looks like may need to be done to this wasr2 before the barrel can be threaded?
I cant tell from the lighting/angle of your pic but are you missing your detent pin for retaining the muzzle device or is it just a metal plug in there missing the spring?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cant tell from the lighting/angle of your pic but are you missing your detent pin for retaining the muzzle device or is it just a metal plug in there missing the spring?
It's missing the pin and spring right now. Doesn't look like there's a cap or cover that needs to be cut does it?

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
It looks like a non threaded barrel to me.

The muzzle end of the barrel looks just as thick as the rest of the barrel on the other end of the front sight base.

If there was a cap on it that would mean that the barrel was already threaded and for communist state purposes that don't allow muzzle devices or on sporterized versions, they capped it.

if that was the case the cap would be bigger and thicker on the muzzle end than on the rest of the barrel. Like a circular or sometimes flat sided bolt was screwed onto the end of the barrel.

Typically the thread caps also have the same notch cut for the detent to slide into so they stay on the gun during recoil when firing. If the gun was from a communist state originally they often times go a step further and spot weld a little point on the BOTTOM of of the thread cap right where the end of it meets the barrel and sight base.

You see that a lot with the old Century WASR 10's that are converted back to evil black rifle configuration.

Then you have to cut/dremel through the spot weld first and then press in on the detent to spin off and remove the cap protector.

Reactions: melloyello

·
Registered
13 Posts
It looks like a non threaded barrel to me.

The muzzle end of the barrel looks just as thick as the rest of the barrel on the other end of the front sight base.

If there was a cap on it that would mean that the barrel was already threaded and for communist state purposes that don't allow muzzle devices or on sporterized versions, they capped it.

if that was the case the cap would be bigger and thicker on the muzzle end than on the rest of the barrel. Like a circular or sometimes flat sided bolt was screwed onto the end of the barrel.

Typically the thread caps also have the same notch cut for the detent to slide into so they stay on the gun during recoil when firing. If the gun was from a communist state originally they often times go a step further and spot weld a little point on the BOTTOM of of the thread cap right where the end of it meets the barrel and sight base.

You see that a lot with the old Century WASR 10's that are converted back to evil black rifle configuration.

Then you have to cut/dremel through the spot weld first and then press in on the detent to spin off and remove the cap protector.
Ok thanks for the input. Felt like a dumb question but wanted a second opinion before i just started threading, and on the micrometer the tip of the barrel is actually a tiny bit smaller the the rest of the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
Ok thanks for the input. Felt like a dumb question but wanted a second opinion before i just started threading, and on the micrometer the tip of the barrel is actually a tiny bit smaller the the rest of the barrel.
yea most AK barrels have that tiny bit of taper at the end of it but if it was capped it would be plainly obvious to the naked eye that there was the barrel and then something screwed on over it.

Typical AK thread protectors (caps) look like this.
You can see the notches cut for the retaining detent.
http://whatacountry.com/images/products/detail/AKBarrelNutNewHungarian.JPG

and when on the barrel it looks like this.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hdP36acYf0s/maxresdefault.jpg

^^ That's actually a screen capture from someone cutting off the spot weld on one that was "permanently" attached.

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
let us know how it works out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts