What's wrong with tru oil

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Big Tool, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

I've read numerous post on different bashing the hell out of tru oil, but nobody really gives a decent reason as to why other than the finish being shiny, but it comes with directions on how to give it a low gloss sheen also, so that dosen't seem like a valid reason.
    I've used blo, tung oil, poly, and tru oil, and compared to the others tru oil gives by far the bet looking finish. It looks just like blo except it dosen't take a week to dry. I really like the finish blo was giving, but after the 1st coat it took forever to dry, "Mississippi humidity" Tru oil is dry to the touch in a bout 4-6hours from what i've seen.

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

tru oil is a great product. used properly, you can get a dull looking finish, or work it all the way up so it looks like you poured a sheet of glass over the stock.

3. Asphalt Cowboy

Asphalt Cowboy G&G Newbie

My only gripe with True Oil is that it contains a filler, not to be confused with sealer. Most fillers are silica, finely ground glass, which fills the pores of the wood and adds surface strength to the wood. If you are doing a new stock and intend to have it checkered you need to tell the checkerer what it has been finished with.

4. billy

billy G&G Evangelist

i use it

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I prefer Tol Oil to all of them...

6. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

Iv'e finished two guns with great results. getting ready to work on a project with an orphan 870 my buddy brought home

7. irish murphy

irish murphy Suspended

I have finished a few of my rifles with birchwood caseys true oil.It is great stuff,i dont like shiney stocks.I have tried tung oil and didnt like the shine much.But the one mooseman has mentioned has brought back something a mate told me awhile ago.Just not sure if it is the same stuff.I will ask him.His stocks came up awesome.

Here is a little miroku 22 i fixed up for a mate years ago.The stock was varnished from the factory and locked terrible

[​IMG]

Not great pics but gives you the idea anyway.

[​IMG]

8. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Irish, is that the one you bought and you refinished that was in pretty bad shape, rusted up and all? Or is this yet another different one? Which ever one it is, I like the finish on the wood. Has a little bit of character in it / to it.

As for the complaints you heard on other sites or wherever, my thinking is they didn't like it simply because they didn't know how to and or couldn't use it properly. Or, they just didn't take their time and read the instructions. lol Anything I've ever seen finished with it has always looked great. The finish on the picture Irish posted says it all...

9. irish murphy

irish murphy Suspended

The rusty one i did up was a 94 winchester 30/30 mate,this one was done years ago.Its a miroku ml22.I am going to get hold of this or the browning it is copied from.Miroku actually make the brownings under contract.I fired this one at the range after i had worked on it.A very accurate little levergun.They are still pulling good money over here to.Anywhere from $450 to $600aud.I like the lever throw,very short.You can cycle these with the tips of a couple fingers and keep the sight picture through rapid fire.

10. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

typically I use Formbies but have used Tru Oil and I consider them interchangable

11. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

That's right, it was a Winchester. I remember now. In fact it was a Buffalo Bill Commemorative or something wasn't it? And had I taken a closer look at the lever/action rather then focus in on the wood, I'd of noticed the lever is a tad bit different then that of a Winny.

Is the fact that the trigger comes out with the lever during chambering something that's normal for this brand? Still a decent looking rifle anyhow. And thanks for the reminder and pointing out not only it's different, but what brand/model.

12. irish murphy

irish murphy Suspended

To tell you the honest truth i would rather a miroku/browning 22lr lever gun than any winchester 94.If i get another levergun in big calibre it will be a marlin.The lever comes down with the trigger group attached to it.So no squashed fingers and very fast cycling of lever.Hold 15 rounds and when mounted with a scope dealy on moving bunnies and cats.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted