Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered what everybody's best deer was. Some people don't trophy hunt. I use to didn't but I've killed a bunch of deer over the last 25 years and I've got selective. If I want meat i get a doe and let the little bucks walk. My best is a 129 4/8" net 9 point. Its a good deer for my area.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I wondered what everybody's best deer was. Some people don't trophy hunt. I use to didn't but I've killed a bunch of deer over the last 25 years and I've got selective. If I want meat i get a doe and let the little bucks walk. My best is a 129 4/8" net 9 point. Its a good deer for my area.
Dunno what it scored, but got this one at 325yds on November 10th, 2007 with my .30-06.

It was freakin cold that day, and my face was quite a bit more portly then as it is now.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
As a meat hunter I rarely kill anything over 2 years old. So my best deer is hard to say.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well these are my 3 biggest whitetails, all taken with bow and arrow.
The largest one on the far right scores 148 7/8 after deductions and 158 4/8 before deductions, I like the total score before deductions since I believe the animal should get full credit for every inch of antler they grow. The other 2 both score in the high 130's after deductions and in the 140's before deductions..

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Well these are my 3 biggest whitetails, all taken with bow and arrow.
The largest one on the far right scores 148 7/8 after deductions and 158 4/8 before deductions, I like the total score before deductions since I believe the animal should get full credit for every inch of antler they grow. The other 2 both score in the high 130's after deductions and in the 140's before deductions..

What do you think my 5x5 scored?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Arch, if I had to take a guess I would say somewhere in the 110-120 range, that is just a guess though, it's hard to tell by the pics. You can google "pope and young score sheet" and print it and score it yourself, make sure you use a cloth tape or string, it makes things a lot easier..

·
Premium Member
18,637 Posts
Here's some of mine. Never had them scored. The two whitetails with all the junk were bow shot, the mule deer was rifle shot(Wyoming) and the smaller whitetail was shotgun shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Rambo give me a call need to talk to yah bout some stuff

**posted with my iPod touch, yeah I'm a nerd what gives? lol

·
Registered
823 Posts
Rambo, very nice mounts!! are the whitetail's with all the junk from Iowa?? If so I can see why they call Iowa the "Land of the giants"....

·
Premium Member
18,637 Posts
Rambo, very nice mounts!! are the whitetail's with all the junk from Iowa?? If so I can see why they call Iowa the "Land of the giants"....
Yeah. All Iowa deer. Those two whitetails were shot 10 minutes from my back door two years apart.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have all got some good bucks. I'd post a pic of mine but I don't have one in my documents or on my phone anymore. The only pic I have is on my profile.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm itchin to kill sumthin!
When does your season open in Wyoming? I'm in unit A in Tn. It don't open in here till Nov. 6- 19 for muzzleloader. Gun season is Nov. 20-Dec 5 and then reopens Dec 18- Jan 9 2011. Its a long season but still seems like it takes forever to get here. Good luck to you and everybody this season.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
When does your season open in Wyoming? I'm in unit A in Tn. It don't open in here till Nov. 6- 19 for muzzleloader. Gun season is Nov. 20-Dec 5 and then reopens Dec 18- Jan 9 2011. Its a long season but still seems like it takes forever to get here. Good luck to you and everybody this season.

Mule Deer areas East of the Interstate 25 is October 1st to October 31st, West of I25 is October 15th along with the nearby areas for Elk. Whitetail doesn't start until the 31st of October and ends along with Elk at the end of November.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts