Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,740 Posts

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
This was one of my earliest EDC knives while I was in the military. The Buck 501 Squire, I did a bit of embelishing on it to make it stand out and be different than anyone elses. A coworker in Ft Worth Texas (Carswell AFB) asked to borrow it for a moment, I told him it was sharp so be careful, I distinctly remember hearing "Oh damn, it is sharp." I turned around and he was bleeding like a stuck pig from his thumb. We took him to the base ER to get checked and some stitches as it turned out. I took a photo of him with his bandaged thumb, made a safety poster called it "Safety Awareness Recognition" with a brief explanation of the incident and stuck it on the bulletin board. When I filled out the safety incident report that goes to the squadron commander, 1st Sgt, and our Safety Rep, I included a copy of the poster...it was provided to all the different sections in the Squadron, he was famous.
Here's a photo of the Buck knife with a Gerber
Knife Wood Utility knife Blade Tool

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Cool story Wicked. Knives and cut thumbs go together like ham and eggs. Bet he just had to try the sharpness before he believed you.
He was holding the electrical plug from a desk fan that wasn't making a good connection and he mumbled that he was thinking about expanding the brass to get a better grip in the recepticle. I didn't think anything of it but I probably wouldn't have held it in my hand to do it.
I have my own scars that reflect my careless stupidity with many tales that would qualify for the archives titled - Wow, that was really dumb.
😁
Got a good story about that vintage Mini Mac for another day. Earned me the name Chainsaw Man by the ER doctor, he said I would have to wait because he had to work on Knife Man first (he did say it's stuck in his leg). That might be a good topic for a Discussion Starter... What's the story behind something thing you did that got you hurt and a scar.

·
Registered
23,101 Posts
I have a no-name Chinese made automatic that I picked up at the flea market at age 12. It was my every day knife until two years ago when it finally lost its edge, and I haven't had a chance to dig out the whetstone. How dare a $12 knife do that after 28 years of regular use and only one previous sharpening.

Now I bulk-buy those Ridge Runner knives from Bud K. At work I'm always needing to open boxes, and those are sharp, reliable knives that hold an edge for a while, and they are so cheap, I don't panic when I leave one by my workbench or loading dock or a stump or something. I've got two jars, and every time my dad stops by the shop he kidnaps a knife out of the jar, too.

But jeez, my jar says $3.99 each on them. They've gone up two bucks a piece on the container, and $19 from what I used to pay not more than a year or so ago.

I own "better" knives, including ones carried by both my grandfathers, but I don't enjoy carrying them because they are too nice/expensive/sentimental/bloody sharp and easily fumbled.

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,247 Posts
I've one SAK Swiss Champ that I got at a pawnshop for a steak due to a broke tip. That took a. Little time an elbow grease to fix. Thing is it's a lot cheaper and less sentimental than my old SAK Craftsman that I've had for over 35 years.

The other varies amount Buck and CRK &T single blade folders.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts

·
Registered
9,170 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
This was one of my earliest EDC knives while I was in the military. The Buck 501 Squire, I did a bit of embelishing on it to make it stand out and be different than anyone elses. A coworker in Ft Worth Texas (Carswell AFB) asked to borrow it for a moment, I told him it was sharp so be careful, I distinctly remember hearing "Oh damn, it is sharp." I turned around and he was bleeding like a stuck pig from his thumb. We took him to the base ER to get checked and some stitches as it turned out. I took a photo of him with his bandaged thumb, made a safety poster called it "Safety Awareness Recognition" with a brief explanation of the incident and stuck it on the bulletin board. When I filled out the safety incident report that goes to the squadron commander, 1st Sgt, and our Safety Rep, I included a copy of the poster...it was provided to all the different sections in the Squadron, he was famous.
Here's a photo of the Buck knife with a Gerber
View attachment 173924
I have both of those knives. The buck since about 1980 and I too carried it on the former Carlswell AFB, they closed the base and made it a reserve base I think. The other is clipped in my bug out/bad weather/mobility bag. I have a large number of knives and carry changes with need.

I live about 75 miles from Jantz Supply the largest supplier of knife building supplies in the world. I have built a few over the years, mostly from near finished blades. You can buy the finest steel and Wooley mammoth for handles if you want. For that reason I am not a brand snob. Many of the expensive knives are more advertising hype than quality in my view. I have some $500 knives, they spent most of their time in the safe. Any Buck or Gerber will work in the folders for me. I carry the two blade case Trapper as often as any. We have a family member that stocks all brands in their store so I have access to them at a decent price.

The one cheap knife I bought online that I recommend to anyone for construction work or survival is a Mossberg branded knife by Myerco. I liked it so much I bought a second one but doubt I could ever wear it out or break it. Better than any $300 folder I have ever seen. and I think it was only $40 or so. Meyerco MOTACT Mossberg Tactical Assisted Open Knife . It is a very heavy knife, built for rugged use, something I would have carried on deployments long ago. I carry it where I cannot carry a gun.

Wood Gun barrel Font Gun accessory Auto part

About this item

• The Mossberg Assisted Opening Liner Lock Knife is the perfect choice for personal carry
  • In addition to the popular liner lock, the Mossberg Assisted Opening Liner Lock Knife features a honed, 420 stainless steel titanium coated blade
  • Rugged G-10 handle and reversible clip
  • Measures 4-3/4" closed, 8-1/8" open
  • Limited lifetime warranty

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Lately I've been leaning heavily towards my crkt M16-14SFG 😀
Arm Gesture Hunting knife Art Font

Automotive tire Aircraft Tints and shades Vehicle Electric blue
Automotive tire Aircraft Tints and shades Vehicle Electric blue
Arm Gesture Hunting knife Art Font

21 - 40 of 45 Posts