Whats your go to duck or goose gun?

Discussion in 'Wingshooting' started by Glock17, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Just wondering what guns everybody uses for waterfowl? Also what do you like to shoot through it?

2. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

Winn. 120 ranger in 12ga. mod. choke #2 steel FLA, DUCKS #4OR 6 for teal or woodies.

3. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Mossy 935 Magnum semi-auto

4. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Winchester (FN) Sx2
    Ocassionally my Wingmaster, only draw back is the Wingy is 2 3/4", born during the lead shot hey day.

Attached Files:

• 2787.jpg
      2787.jpg
      File size:
      364.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Benelli SBEII 26" barrel Pattermaster IMP Cyl Choke for Duck hunting over decoys. Imp Mod for geese

6. Remington 870 shooting #2 or BB.

I like my buddy's Beretta Xtrema, but I only get to shoot it when he's out setting decoys or retrieving ducks/geese and more come in.

7. Pyro01

Pyro01 G&G Addict

Winchester 1300 pump, modified choke, 3" #4 for ducks, 3" BB for geese.

8. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

benelli nova, patternmaster extended range for geese, modified choke for ducks. usually shoot winchester 3" 2s for everything.

9. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

Well I made a trade about a week ago and got me a browning gold hunter 3" chamber...will probably be my new go to for ducks. I also ordered a Browning Grand Passage modified choke. Hopefully it performs the reviews looked too good to be true for the price lol.

Anyone else use aftermarket choke tubes?

10. jerry

USA
    You will love the Browning Gold. Not into aftermarket chokes yet. Try the Invector+ Improved modified if you get a chance. It works very well for me with 3" 3's Steel.

11. Pyro01

Pyro01 G&G Addict

I was told that when shooting steel through a modified choke it patterns as a full. Has anyone ever heard this before, i don't remember where I saw this actually, might have been in a book for hunter's safety. Should I start shooting a full or a turkey choke when hunting geese?

12. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

I love it already...haven't tried it on anything other than doves but its great so far. I ordered a modified aftermarket but may get a factory improved modified like you say, I almost ordered that to begin with but this will mostly be my close shootin fast flyin duck gun so I didn't want a tight choke for that.

13. jerry

USA
    Steel typically patterns tighter in a given choke.

14. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

Thats basically true. You don't want to shoot steel through a regular full choke. There are tons of aftermarket chokes designed for steel though. The factory chokes will not really pattern as well with steel because the steel cannot compress like lead does because its a lot harder. If you want a choke specifically for goose I would recommend the Patternmaster. Its pricey but I think its worth it. After shooting geese with a factory modified switching to it was a crazy difference. Instead of just crippling birds they just crumple.

15. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

870 Left Hand, mod choke tube. I like to throw 3" steel T shot through it for geese.

16. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

Right now it's my mossy 835, never fails, I don't cringe if I scratch it, and gets the job done. I'd like a 500, and would recomend a maverick to anyone interested.

To me, for geese, you have to have 3.5" or a 10 gauge with a 26-32" barrel (I like 28) and a nice recoil pad. I've done more duck hunting than I care to talk about, and ol' 2 and 3/4 #1 #2 put's 'em down good enough for me, I usually have a 3" #1 or BB as my last shot, but that's for then flying off over 50 yards or so, but geese, espeacially these overfed overgrown local geese (still waiting to get my camera back, you'll see) are like flying tanks, and they don't come as close as ducks, so far. With the 3.5" Black Cloud BBs we were using last week end they just laughed it off at 50-60 yards. Inside of 30 they just went limp, at 40 they glided down to the water, and at 50 they would just flinch a little. I need some Ts and/or a tighter choke.

My 'dream gun' for geese would be a Benille Super Black Eagle II 10 gauge in wetlands camo, with a dead mule in the butt :), but that'll have to wait until after I hit the lottery.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  17. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

haha good luck with the dream gun Barry. I saw a 10 guage Browning bps in max 4 the other day that a guy was trying to talk me out of my rifle for but i was looking more for a duck gun than goose. Thats odd that you couldn't touch em with 3 1/2" BBs. All last year I used nothin but 3" 2 shot and it did fine. A lot of the tiem they were right on us though when decoying....

18. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Duck is a Beretta 302 in 3" 12 gauge w/ 28" modified bbl. (I use 2 3/4 in shells)

Goose used to be a Browning A5 in 3" 12 gauge w/ 32" full bbl.

Now I usually use the Beretta for both and upgrade to 3 inch shells for geese.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  19. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Ruger Red Label Stainless Steel 12 gauge with black synthetic stock.
    Remington 3" Heavi-Shot shells.

20. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

That was with my 835 28" and modified choke. Which, a 28" barrel and a modified choke are all I have ever used for anything, birds, ducks, squirrels, deer etc, so It's sort of my groove.

If I had a tighter choke, or decoying in close, it would have worked much better, but 30 yards was as absolutely as close as we got, but they just stopped all indications of life at that range. Just as importantly, these non-migratory geese are overfed from the time they hatch. Really, they are over-sized, fattened beasts, and geese in general are tough.