Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of you, I’ve bought a few cars over the years. At least one was a real clunker (I’ll never buy another Dodge), while one has been off the charts amazing, a 1990 Nissan Maxima SE: still going strong after 30 years, nothing more than one fuel injector cleaning, new tires, brake pads, battery, and oil changes.

Guns are kinda like that, too. Can’t say I’ve had a true clunker, but also wouldn’t say I’ve been overly thrilled with a Winchester XLR in 30-06. On the other end of the spectrum I have some real faves, namely a Sauer Fieldshoot and Sako 85M.

But then there’s the middle-of-the-road. You know, not the worst you have, not the best, just continues to be reliable as needed. Think Honda/Chevy/Toyota.

We’ve had many posts about best rifles and worst rifles, but which of your rifles serves as your middle-of-the road workhorse? Not the best you ever had, not the worst, but the one you know can take a pounding in the heavy brush and continue to function as needed, when needed. For me that “old reliable” would be a Mauser M-18. Nothing special about it, certainly not fancy, but still holds a place of honor because it doesn’t fail me when I need it, regardless the wilderness abuse it gets. Pretty dang good value for under $400 new.

Putting aside the clunkers and the great ones, what’s your basic but favorite old reliable rifle?

·
Less well known member
5,134 Posts
My old reliable is the 30-06 that my Dad gave me on my 16th birthday. I didn't like the stock so I made a new one in shop class. It is a 1976 Remington 700 BDL. I will never leave it at home.

·
Super Moderator
16,919 Posts
I have a mid 2000's made 870 12g. shotgun (before Remington crapped the bed)... still has the bead/pedestal sight and a 6+1 tube extension with a short 14" length of pull hogue stock and an older gen LED surefire fore-end light on it. Keep the tube loaded with Hornady LE TAP 00 buck and have a nylon/velcro side saddle with 4 more 00 buck and two 1oz slugs.

"oldy but reliable"

Its my bedroom shotgun. She ain't fancy but she gets the job done. ;)

·
God, Guns, Glory
35,032 Posts
Simple answer.
A old Marlin .44 lever action.
She has taken down everything from tree rats, snakes, deer, moose to black and brown bears. The old girl has over a million miles on her. She ain't beautiful anymore, but when I kick the bucket she goes in the hole with me. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts

Winchester Model 70 .30-06 dating to 1953. Has served through many happy and successful hunts since acquisition in 1987. Deer, hogs, and coyotes have fallen to it. Was in "usin' gun" condition when acquired for cheap in a pawn shop so use it I have. It's fine and most important, dependable accuracy beats the hooey out of the Ruger 77 .30-06 it replaced which had on again, off again accuracy, fliers, barrel heating issues, and wandering zero. This Model 70 proved to be the best way to "fix" that Ruger.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I've never had a 'best' gun.
pretty much all of mine are old reliable.
I'm serious.
I got a few old wore completely out's.
I have had some reliable until they quit's, and some so new they didn't work worth a [email protected]#T'$.
right now my newest rifle is my old reliable.

anyway.
the list of each would be pretty long.
I've had 870's not work, parts fall off, springs break, ammo let me down...

I've seen all sorts of everything up to and including using a new off the shelf rifle to kill a deer before I even got it home.
in that case it worked 100% flawlessly over it's lifetime since it was gone before I ever put a second bullet down the barrel.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I would have to say it was my mil-surp Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU sniper rifle.
It's old & accurate as all get out. Easy to clean & maintain, ammo used to be cheap but I have enough stocked up that I probably will never need to buy any. It has never let me down on hitting the target I put it on. The only thing I don't like is it's length.

·
Premium Member
24,844 Posts
Well since this thread is in the "general rifle" sub-forum I'm going to go with my Weatherby Vanguard chambered in 270 Winchester. It's the original iteration in a tan colored synthetic stock and the factory trigger. (which isn't half bad) More than decent accuracy for an off the shelf moderately priced field gun.

·
Premium Member
9,768 Posts
Mine is a early 1970's Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight in 270. I have shot many a deer with it. Went bear hunting with it but no shots. Killed a few Wild pigs with it. Very accurate I actually have killed two wild turkeys with it by head shots. Has a nice checkered Black Walnut stock and one of the nicest mirror like finish on the metal Ii have seen.

·
Super Moderator
11,563 Posts
Simple answer.
A old Marlin .44 lever action.
She has taken down everything from tree rats, snakes, deer, moose to black and brown bears. The old girl has over a million miles on her. She ain't beautiful anymore, but when I kick the bucket she goes in the hole with me. :)
MAYBE .......

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
I've built all the center fire rifles I currently own . All on Mauser actions except the 03A4 clone I built. I could grab any of them and be confident it would shoot better than I am capable of. JOHN

·
Super Moderator
11,563 Posts
For a rifle it would easily be my Model 75 Sako 308. I posted a target from 10 years ago which was a 1/4 in group (3 shots) ha. I don't claim it to be a 1/4 in gun, but with my tinkered loads, it should hold pretty close to 1/2 in.....no wind. And probably someone else doing the shooting now. Also shoots a number of powders well. Here with 2.5 x 8 Leupold

IMG_3733.jpg

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Mine is a early 1970's Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight in 270. I have shot many a deer with it. Went bear hunting with it but no shots. Killed a few Wild pigs with it. Very accurate I actually have killed two wild turkeys with it by head shots. Has a nice checkered Black Walnut stock and one of the nicest mirror like finish on the metal Ii have seen.
I like those featherweights.
I have one in 257 Roberts that is a sweetheart.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts