Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 516 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
o.k. this is a little different than you'd expect. i would like everyone to give a complete list with full review of your Ruger firearms! not just what you have in your arsenal,i would like us to all share the good, the bad, and the super-ugly.

i'm still working on my feel of my Ruger Redhawk, but overall it's hitting everything i aim at with astounding accuracy for the time i have invested in it. one thing i didn't expect was the recoil. it's so balanced that it's like shooting a smaller caliber handgun. as a matter of fact when i first got it i shot some .44 cowboy action loads. i then moved up to the winchester magnum loads, and then to loading my own. even now with each step up feeling like it was twice the power of the previous loads, i don't see any reason to step back down to a lighter load. if you want a well balanced .44 caliber experience i would advise you give this gun a shot (pun intended).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mooseman, thanks but list each of them also please! which ones you still own, and the ones you traded off and want back!

please make this a true listing of all the Rugers you own, or have owned personally, and your experiences with them!

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I has a sweet sexy tight lil ol Ruger 96 lever action rifle she shoots where I want and if I could find 5 more of em I'd buy em!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice ezearln, i've been looking at going with the Ruger 96/44 instead of the m77 markII .300 winmag at the local pawn shop. with the 96/44 i could use my loads i'm already making myself without any further purchases!

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Sorry , But I could write a book ...It would take me hours to list all my past Rugers, from 33 years of collecting, shooting and trading...Hundreds of them.
And to talk about them all being good would be boring after the first 20 or 30.
I've had Bearcats, Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, Redhawks,Mk1 and Mk II and .22/45 .22 autos, Mini-14's, Super Redhawks, M77's 10/22's, P-series, Security sixes,speed sixes, Single sixes, Convertibles,gp-100's, Model 44's , mini-thirty, No.1, ...But ,I Haven't had the Red,Gold, or Trap Label shotgun yet or some of the Later P and KP series or the Vaquero series...
So Far, My Super Redhawk is my personal favorite Big Bore.44 !
Rich

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
that's impressive man, flat out impressive!

btw, what is it you like about the Super Redhawk that puts it ahead of the standard Redhawk?
i like the scope placement of the standard Redhawk better myself!

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I currently own a Blackhawk in .357 Mag, and a Stainless Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag, both guns are very accurate, and handle recoil very well.

·
Registered
740 Posts
10/22, 10/17 and a Redhawk 44M.I don't like the 44 though. Ammo too expensive and the most common ammo is 240gr 44mag that will break your arms. It has caused me to flinch from the excessive recoil even when I shoot other guns much less powerful. I'm not a fan of large caliber revolvers. I think it will be the first gun I ever get rid of even though it functions very well. The 10/22 is one of the best gun designs ever made. I would like to get a MKIII 22LR pistol but I already have Browning and S&W 22LR pistols that are very accurate..

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
The adjustable Rear sight was better on the Super and the Redhawk I had was in .41 Mag, and I wanted a .44 Mag for Alaska...I won't scope mine because it has to be a fast draw for me as a Backup gun, and it is accurate enough with the Factory sights that a porcupine at 50 yards is toast If I desire him to be...It seems to have excellent Balance as well for a hand Cannon.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't like the 44 though. Ammo too expensive and the most common ammo is 240gr 44mag that will break your arms. It has caused me to flinch from the excessive recoil even when I shoot other guns much less powerful. I'm not a fan of large caliber revolvers. I think it will be the first gun I ever get rid of even though it functions very well.
if you wanted to get rid of it let me know, i reload my own 240 gr .44 mags and i'd like another Redhawk, is yours the 7.5" barrel.

I won't scope mine because it has to be a fast draw for me as a Backup gun, and it is accurate enough with the Factory sights that a porcupine at 50 yards is toast If I desire him to be...It seems to have excellent Balance as well for a hand Cannon.

cool, yea i could see the fast draw thing when your being attacked and such. but at least with the new scoped holsters like the one i got it's not really an issue anymore.this pic i dont even have a belt on holding it secure, just trying it on and the wife took a pic!

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
That looks like a nice setup...Now try this.
Get your wife to hold up a 4 foot square Black or Brown piece of cloth with the bottom edge up about a foot from the floor at 10 yards...Quickly draw your UNLOADED weapon and look thru the scope...Tell me what you see.
A big Blurr ??? in 2 to 2.5 seconds that Bear or Boar will be on Top of you and if you don't shoot em in the head or heart they will keep coming. Thats what I'm talkin About!
Rich

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I own a SS GP100 with a 6 inch barrel. I find it impossible to argue, that the GP is considered to be the best all round DA .357 mag.

Don`t forget, he said ` ALL ROUND `

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
Ive got a sp 101 with crimson trace grips and it is the last word in reliable. Ive also got 2 ruger 10-22s. out of the box I'm not crazy about em but do a bunch of tweaking to em and you can end up with a VERY accurate lil rifle

and they are fun to work on

·
Registered
362 Posts
own a bunch of different rugers, one of the best is my m77mark 1 in 257 roberts,has a bell and carlson stock and a 3x9tasco on it shoot wonderful. The worst would have to be a vaquero in .45 colt, although it has one of the best action jobs I have ever seen in a handgun, timing has been sped up, and trigger tuned. you can't aim the thing and expect to hit anything, but if you point shoot it is very accurate.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I currently own a Ruger Blackhawk in .45LC. It's built like a tank and shoots better than I can.

I had a Ruger Deerfield Carbine in .44mag, but sold it because it seemed to be picky as far as what types of ammo it liked to feed. I'm now having a similar problem with hollow soft points with my M1 Carbine, so who knows....

But the Deerfield was also a somewhat accurate gun that was fun to carry in the woods.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mooseman, i think your taking more wrong. if you want yours without a scope keep it without a scope. "I" don't think it would be a problem with the extended eye relief i have on my simmons, (it's crystal clear, never seen a blur through it yet) but i'm not you. if the bears 10 yards away...i'm not likely to bother looking through the scope anyways... that's the versatility of having the scope. at 10 yards point and shoot, i bet you don't line up the fixed sites when a bears rushing in at you anyways, i'm pretty sure you'd do just fine scoped, but it's not my life your worried about. you do it your way! at 25-50-100 yrds shooting a rabbit to eat that will likely hear me if i get to close, i'm using my scope. please remember i don't force my perspectives on anyone i'm just sharing it!

i'm just talking to you, not arguing with you!
you be you, and do things your way!

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I didn't take it the wrong way at all, I was Just pointing out that at 10 yards your scope will be full of a Dark image, and I May have to get a shot off in less than 1 second ,so for quick shots for me, a scope is just not practical, and I do use the sights for every shot, that's how I trained over the years for Competition and very accurate shooting....I don't dare skin a bears back with a bullet or I probably won't live to admit that I missed... My situtation is very different from yours, hence my reasoning. Point and shoot to me is spray and pray so with only 6 rds. available, I do accuracy instead. I am not trying to tell you how to do anything, just be aware of other situations that may arise and what the limitations are. We're Cool !
Rich

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Only two, but both great guns: A Mark I that I've had since late 70's that has 1000's and 1000's and 1000's of rounds through it; A scoped but relatively stock 10/22. They are both my first choice for .22 plinking.

When I was a kid, I can remember drooling over the Bearcat in the hardware store counter. I might have to have one eventually.

1 - 20 of 516 Posts