Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. I'm looking to start carrying a concealed weapon sometime in the future and I need some advice. As you can see by my username, I have spina bifida. I am confined to a wheelchair. I have full use of my arms and everything else above my knees. I just can't walk. I would like to know your opinion on CCW holsters for a guy in a wheelchair. I'm in a manually (arm) powered Quickie wheelchair. I will be carrying a semiauto handgun of some sort. Responses from people in wheelchairs or who know CCW holders that are in a wheelchair are preferred, but all advice is welcome.

L

·
0 Posts
SOB holster..in case you get knocked out of your wheelchair by some two legged animal :gangster:I'd seriously consider a Glock 26, Sigarms 239 or even a snubnose .38 special..even though you specified semiauto

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Another option for you and I have seen it with a few people limited to a chair is the fanny pack - some people heckel them but I look at it as one of the easiest methods of carry and the most versitile

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
I'd recommend a mid size to full size semi-auto in 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 357 SIG, or 9x19mm Luger/Parabellum.

I don't know much about holsters for guys in wheelchairs, but I would think you could actually fit something bigger in there, say around the small of your back or far off to the side, than someone walking.

For comfort and reliability, I always recommend the Steyr M Series. Also it might help to know how fast your fingers are and how well you're able to avoid slipping. That might determine if you want a single action, SA/DA, or double action semi-auto pistol, or if you'd want a manual safety or not.

Glocks, Kahrs, SIGs and Springfield XDs are the only decent pistols I know of that have no manual safety. Avoid S&W Sigma.

Rugers, Browning Hi-Powers, Beretta/Taurus, HK USP, 1911s and variants, metal framed S&Ws, and many others are good buys. While they have the safety on the side at the rear, either on the frame or on the side, the Steyrs have their safety in the trigger guard. You'll want to try it to see if you like it.

In any case, welcome to Gunandgame! I hope you're able to find answers here and share your thoughts, knowledge, and experience, not to mention personality!

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
Here are some nice options from Dillon Presision.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=9&min=0&dyn=1&

The concealed carry Tote may be a good option. Mounted on the side of the wheelchair, (via heavy duty velcro or straps, screwed etc.) it could be accesed easily. There would also be room for other items needed on a daily basis. It is not uncommon to see bags of some sort attached to wheelchairs. I think it would blend well.

The discrete holster looks like a planner. If it dosen't cause discomfort, it could be tucked in on the side of the seat.

The fanny pack is a great idea. I'd get one specifically for a gun like the one shown.

I don't have experience with a small of back holster. It seems like it would be a bit uncomfortable to have sitting all day.

Depending on the time of the year and dress as well as the size of the gun, an ankle holster may work well too.

Good luck!
Jerry

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would think the S.O.B. would be a good option. Also maybe a Cross Draw. I'm usally not a fan of the cross draw because it is easier for the BG to get your gun then for you. Though always in a sitting position, this would be less of a concern for me. I have always thought if I had a desk job where I sat most of the time, I would get a cross draw. Easy access, and quick to draw from with practice.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Welcome to G&G spina bifida! I won't comment on your request because the guys who've already responded are all highly qualified to advise you. I, too, am here to learn from them.

Good luck! :right:

Ox

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts
Welcome to G&G !!!!!

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

I use a fanny pack every day, lots of space for wallets, cigarettes, ect. and my gun with a spare mag.

I recomend Eagle Enterprises and Black Hawk fanny packs, they come with a lifetime warranty, you just send the pack to the factory and a few weeks later, it's fixed back at your doorstep.

These packs are specifically designed for carrying a weapon as their main purpose, are very expensive, but are very durable and well thought.

The Black Hawk gives the extra mile in finish and attention to detail, but both are made of the same materials and give the same warranty.

I sended my Eagle twice in four years of daily use and they repair it for free, no questions asked.
I bought the Black Hawk about 3 months ago 'cause the eagle was fading the deep black color from the daily use in a construction enviroment, I wash the rig once in a while or when mud or cement gets to it.

Now I use the Black Hawk rig when dressing with slacks and button shirt, and use the Eagle rig for daily use with jeans, polos, and field boots.

A word of advise, avoid the cheapo all around fanny packs, you don't want to fumble with a zipper and inside it to get a shifted, difficult to grab gun, the gun should be well strapped and easy access is a must. Also avoid the telltale of velcro fanny packs, they give away the contents, use the drawstrig ones!!

:uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:

·
Registered
2 Posts
oh, by the way

I have a 9mm in a with a jacket with a built in holster and also one that hooks under my seat... for whatever situation I chose. I am not big (woman) and use a ultra light chair... so the 9mm fits my hand great and the backfire doesn't kick my chair everywhere... have practiced without brakes... I also like pepper spray for situations that don't quite call for hot lead.

there is a great page just on this subject http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/WheelchairArticle.pdf
I found this very informative and gave me the answers I was looking for, it does discuss the pros and cons of different concealment and guns as well. about 3 pages pdf. Helped me chose.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Welcome to G&G: Spina Bifida and Vectorsource, as battle rifle suggested I would also recomend a 40 or a 357sig or a 45acp. Now as for your gun we would need to know your price range?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome aboard spina bifida. I had a teacher in high school that was in a wheelchair and always packed a pistol. (wow, have times changed in 15 years!) She rigged up a pouch type holster that was attached to the arm rest on her dominant side.
The pouch was always next to her leg, so it was concealed fairly well. I'm thinking the fanny pack holster would be the way to go, it would give you a faster draw than a SOB since you wouldn't have to lean forward to draw...just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Don't do any rig that attaches to the chair. Some scumbag could shove you over and then you are out of luck.

Don't overlook the Makarov as a CCW pistol.

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts
Welcome to Vectorsource !!!!!

Guys, this is a 3yr old thread, spinabifida haven't reported in a very long time, I hope he's ok.

Welcome to Vectorsource, cool to have another girl around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts