close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When did the M14 come along?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, May 1, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Did the M14 make it to Korea, or did we go all the way with the M1 Garand? I had the impression that the M14 didn't come in until the later 50s, since I saw a demonstration video of the competing AR-10 made in 1957.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

If I remember right, I think the M-14 came into service in 1957. A very good year (I'm a '57 model, myself). I know that was the year the M1 went out of production.

3. DavidC

DavidC G&G Newbie

guys there is a very good book out there " the m14 owners guide "it has all the info on trials and the such i think fultons has it in stock for about $14 i need to get mine out and read some more
    DavidC:assult: :full: :flame: :usa:

4. The M14 was adopted in 1957 but it took a while to get started with mass production (1959 I think) of them. From what I've learned they weren't widely dispersed into the Army and USMC until 1962-63.
    1963 was the las year for M14 production but I have a TRW barrel on mine that's dated 1964 so they must have kept making parts for a time after.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

M-1 CARBINE WAS USED ALOT IN KOREA ESPECIALLY BY THE TINY S.KOREANS. MY BROTHER WENT TO 'NAM EARLY ON WHEN THE M-14 WAS STILL ISSUED.HE HELD ON TO IT AS LONG AS HE COULD,NO ONE WANTED THAT MADE BY"MATTEL"RIFLE (M-16).