when s.h.t.f.

Discussion in 'Survival Forums' started by poltiregist, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I have used two year old 10% ethanol-corrupted gas treated with Stabil Marine with no issues. I retreat every six months.
    Stabil Marine is more robust than regular Stabil.

rando, neophyte, Ten Man and 2 others like this.
  2. graybeard

graybeard G&G Evangelist

Virginia
    This is good stuff! Thanks ya'll - I have learned quite a bit these past few days reading these posts. As I start to put my plan together, will certainly be asking for more info.
    Another question just came to mind: Does medicine really go bad after one year? Could be effective still after 2 years??

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    It depends on the medicine, and the form it is in. Also, the amount of organic substance in it.

For example, aspirin, NASAIDs, PeptoBismol, Prep H, last practically forever, because they are fairly chemically stable. On the other hand, organics, such as insulin, can deteriorate fairly quickly.

4. Big Dog

And while some meds may lose some potency over time, they can still work. Maybe require larger dosage. But this is a whole chapter in the prepper's handbook, requiring a lot of study. No quick and easy answers.

5. poltiregist

poltiregist G&G Enthusiast

I have no idea how long the antibotics that I have stashed are good for . However on occasion I have members of our survival group come to me wanting some to get over something . Even someone whose mate tested positive for Covid 19 came down with the virus and had chest and breathing problems . The only medication he had was the meds I gave him . He recovered . Amongst my medical supplies I have a medical probe for removing bullets in case of a fire fight . Surgical needles for sewing up folks are also in my stash . Tooth pulling pliers are also on standby . We have a bodoc / osage orange tree on the premises . The sap from it will deaden your mouth for tooth extraction .

blaster, animalspooker, rando and 3 others like this.
  6. Devilinaraindrop

Devilinaraindrop G&G Regular

The stabilizer works good I fil up boat 100 gal tank and if need gas take off line and run into cans it stays good up to 2 years with stabilizer

animalspooker, neophyte and Ten Man like this.
  7. Sportsterboy

Sportsterboy G&G Evangelist

Doxycycline (Vibramycin, brand name) or other types of tetracyclines (e.g. minocycline, tetracycline) can cause damage to kidneys if used after they are expired. The drug(s) break down to form compounds toxic to your kidneys. You DO NOT want to use expired tetracycline (family) antibiotics.

Most other medications, at their expiration date, are within 90% of original potency, and that is how the expiration date is derived. They will not "hurt" to use, but will not be as effective.

neophyte, Ten Man, BigEd63 and 2 others like this.
  8. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

Even with hurricanes and localized disasters the government response is bare bones, sluggish, and people's lives are hanging by strings for months on end. Katrina out people in the Astro Dome. PR is still cleaning up from 2018.

AFTER Y2K it seemed the likelihood of needing preps was distant and remote. In 2020 many many many are coming to grips with the fact that the end of the USA as we know it could be right around the corner. Most are just dipping their toes into preps and getting ready, some are diving into the deep end, head first.

9. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Over prepared is far better than under prepared, especially if you can afford to spend the money. It does not take a lot of money to purchase essentials for survival, if you are smart about it, and do it BEFORE the situation becomes serious. If you wait until EVERYONE panics, it's either too late, or you pay too much, or you do without. Waiting until everyone else is "prepping" is NOT prepping.

blaster, BigEd63, poltiregist and 4 others like this.
  10. Well Put! If you start "Prepping" when Prepping becomes a "Thing", then you're not a Prepper... You're a part of the Herd.

It's also a mindset and not just materials. Thinking and Observing so you can anticipate potential events and have a plan, not that I'm any kind of "Expert", far from it IMO.

One thing that I do believe that is essential to try and develop though is paying attention to the Nuances and Energy.. the way things "Feel". If the hair on the back of your neck stands up then there's a reason for that so pay attention. Being too Cerebral about it and not going with your gut feelings more often than not will cost you. As will not revisiting and re-evaluating things you have prepared for (check in the box style)... Item's can go bad and often you will find that as you learn more and become more aware when you revisit what you've put in place you find you weren't as prepared as you thought you were~

poltiregist and Ten Man like this.
  11. ka5siw

ka5siw G&G Evangelist

If you were waiting in line for TP back in March, then you are not a prepper. Right now you can't buy AMMO and can hardly buy guns. If you were not ready for this, then you are part of the heard. The last few threads holding this mess together are about to part!
    If you don't have guns, ammo, food and a place to hunker down and wait-out the storm, YOU ARE IN TROUBLE.

12. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

Actually, I think there are some exceptions to that. The feds maintain a huge supply of it because of the threat of anthrax attack by terrorists. They have a procedure where if it is stored under proper conditions, it can be used up to 6 years past the expiration date. AND if it has been stored properly the feds can extend that to 8 years. Seems to me if I keep all my antibiotics inside my air controlled house, I should be safe to use them just as the government can.

Personally, I am not going to throw any of them out, because if there ever was an anthrax attack they would automatically be in short supply pretty quick, just like the stockpile of ventilators a while back. Just saying. Here is the FDA rule on it.
    https://www.fda.gov/media/104987/download

For those who are just starting prepping, I buy mine at https://www.calvetsupply.com/fish-doxycycline-100-mg-strength-30-capsules.html

Jaison and Ten Man like this.
  13. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

Yes sir. And all those relatives and other people who thought your were paranoid will be calling to see if you can help them out. I already did with some ammo, but at some point my sharing will cease. Kind of like the generator I took my sister after a tornado a few years ago. Police would not let me in the area, but did let my bro in law drive to the barricade and pick it up. The only lights, TV, fan or anything they had for a week.

Ten Man likes this.
  14. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

I try to run all small engines on nothing but ethanol free. It costs more at the pump, but from my opinion, the long term durability and life of the engines, fuel lines and associated parts are worth the investment.

blaster, Bigfoot, rando and 2 others like this.
  15. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

Same here on small engines. I once did a mileage test for 10 tanks of gas comparing pure gas and the gasohol, both were rated at 87 octane. The real gas got 8% better mileage, despite being the same octane rating. It could have just been a problem with the gas at my local station, but that was the result. The cost was about 10% more which is about a wash to me.

Edmonds did a road test on it in a Tahoe and found a 26% less mileage with ethanol (E85) which is not the same but does suggest my result to be correct. https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

I still try to use pure gas every chance I get.

16. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    The newer truck I bought can handle the hippie juice aka E85 but indeed the mileage sucks. Tried two different gas stations with same result getting approximately 4mpg less each time.

Ranger4 likes this.
  17. Sportsterboy

Sportsterboy G&G Evangelist

From your FDA download (below)

The manufacturer of an approved drug product may extend the expiration date for the drug 100 product based on acceptable data from full, long-term stability studies on at least three pilot or 101 production batches in accordance with a protocol approved in the NDA or ANDA. FDA should 102 be notified of the extension of the expiration dating period. The data can be submitted in an 103 annual report to the NDA or ANDA if, after obtaining and analyzing the data in accordance with the protocol, the criteria set forth in the approved stability protocol are met.10 104 Such extended 8 Labeling can be found by searching for doxycycline on the FDA Approved Drug Products Web site, http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/daf. 9 CDC’s doxycycline EUI are available to state and local public health officials via a password-protected CDC JOIN Web site. During an anthrax emergency, the EUI materials will be posted on https://www.cdc.gov for the general public. 10 See the guidance for industry Changes to an Approved NDA or ANDA. Contains Nonbinding Recommendations Draft — Not for Implementation 4 105 dating typically is applied prospectively to newly manufactured lots and generally not retrospectively applied to lots manufactured before the newly determined dating period. 11

Takeaway from this.....EACH lot must be tested by manufacturer and be requested to have exp date extended....you can't assume that exp date + 6 years is "OK".
    I've been a practicing pharmacist for over 40 years (currently still practicing).
    I've only got 2 kidneys and would like to keep them a while. I think I'd pass on doxycycline past the expiration date.

The standard treatment for anthrax is an antibiotic such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), doxycycline (Vibramycin) or levofloxacin. Ciprofloxacin or Levofloxacin (fluoroquinolones) won't have the same issues as taking expired tetracyclines such as doxycycline.

We (my hospital facility) are required to keep doxycycline, ciprofloxacin "emergency" stores on hand. We don't keep doxycycline past the exp. date.
    My 2 cents.

blaster, Jaison, Ten Man and 2 others like this.
  18. poltiregist

poltiregist G&G Enthusiast

[QUOTE="Sportsterboy, post: 2625150, mem
    I've been a practicing pharmacist for over 40 years (currently still practicing).
    I've only got 2 kidneys and would like to keep them a while. I think I'd pass on doxycycline past the expiration date

We (my hospital facility) are required to keep doxycycline, ciprofloxacin "emergency" stores on hand. We don't keep doxycycline past the exp. date.
    My 2 cents.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the advice . I have a large supply of doxycycline in my stash . I will be checking the expiration date . In emergency's my survival group has used the doxycycline to combat all sorts of stuff including covid 19 but we certainly do not want to risk kidney damage .

Sportsterboy and EtherialOne like this.
  19. Big Dog

Ethanol-laced gasoline does burn less efficiently than pure gasoline. The chemistry bears this out. Ethanol has less efficiency, producing less BTUs per same unit. I verified this when I had my KLR650 motorcycle. Switching from real gas to E10 gas, I lost 5MPG on the average 5.5 gallon tankful.

blaster and Ten Man like this.
  20. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    That was what I always did, as well. Since coming to TN, I have found only ONE gas station with Ethanol Free gasoline within 3 counties of my home. It is a LONG way to go get it, for me.