close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When will you be ready?

Discussion in 'Survival Discussions' started by ka5siw, Aug 7, 2017.

1. ka5siw

ka5siw G&G Enthusiast

With the mess we are in now, how long before you will be ready for SHTF.
    What do you have ready? Plan, Location, Food, Tools, Weapons, Communications, Network of people?
    I am set in some ways but still lacking in others. As I get older health issues limit my physical abilities. Since we live out in the country, we will honker down. We can buy meat on the hoof and depending on the season we can grow some food.

2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Been "Ready" since 1999.

neophyte likes this.

3. I'm as ready as I will ever be !......................

jwrauch and neophyte like this.
  4. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I might suggest having a means to set up a greenhouse of some type to get a jump on growing some type of food. Sturdy plastic sheet, some PVC pipe, or whatever will work.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I am "ready" for some emergencies, but less so or not at all for others. Age and health concerns limit what I can do.

jwrauch and neophyte like this.
  6. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I don't think it is truly possible to be prepared for every situation. The best I think you can do is try to cover a few scenarios and be thoughtful of possibilities you might not have considered. One thing I keep going back to is if I had to bug out for some reason , I would like to be able to get a decent response time of doing so . Right now I don't think I could get gone very quickly. So when will you be ready? Probably not soon enough!

neophyte, richardw and Gray Wolf like this.
  7. I'm not sure if or when I'll be "ready". But some ways I'm all set; we're not leaving, I've got seeds and can find meat with feet not far from here. First aid is covered as are tools for fixing and making things.

jwrauch, neophyte and Big Dog like this.
  8. I like being prepared for water,power ,fuel outages etc.
    And recently got a good generator.
    A couple gallons of bleach will purify a ton of water
    Fuel stabilizers only go so far though.

jwrauch, blaster and neophyte like this.
  9. Oh...and the creek behind the house is spring fed, so water isn't at issue.

neophyte likes this.
  10. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf G&G Evangelist

I don't expect to ever be ready for everything that might happen. When the time comes, you will go with what you have. Keep in mind water, shelter, food and first aid, defense, and build from there.

11. Wow, nice! I'm not nearly prepared as I'd like to be. But then again there's no way to be fully prepared for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

jwrauch and ncnascarlady like this.
  12. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Preparation is 90% mental and 10% physical.

jwrauch, bullet maker and Huey Rider like this.
  13. Don't discount life experience, either. You may be more prepared than you think. Here's a couple of examples from my life experience "profile",

My mom is the product of her parents. Her mother emigrated from Sweden as a small child. Her mother grew up barefoot, dirt poor and living on handouts for most of her life. So Gram grew up during the depression with a mother who stockpiled foods. Mom grew up with a mother who did the same thing but to a lesser degree. That's how I grew up. Toss in living in CT for the majority of my life, dealing with ice and snow storms in the winter and hurricanes in the summer and I now instinctively keep the pantry stocked with foods I can prepare with minimal resources.

I had horses for years, and helped Mom breed and raise her show dogs so I absorbed a ton of animal husbandry and good breeding skills.

I've been a historic reenactor for 25+ years, even though I haven't be actively going to events for the last 15. I still have all my cast iron cookware, candle lanterns, and whatnot. It might not seem like a lot. Because I know how to use it all, it counts toward being prepared.

As a reenactor, I learned all kinds of things that will stand me in good stead post TEOTWAWKI.

So before saying you're not as prepared as you'd like to be, look at your life and the things you've learned along the way. You might be pleasantly surprised to see how ready you really are.

Huey Rider and Ten Man like this.
  14. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Until you are humping an 80lb. ruck.

15. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

At this point in my life, THAT is not an issue.:oops:

16. richardw

richardw G&G Evangelist

I think that in preparing for a SHTF scenario one must take certain basics into consideration. Without going into overly windy explanatione I will keep each though brief. Much of what I write is based upon having faced many didfferent survivable situations while in the Corps and by adapting that knowledge to civilian scenarios.

1. You differen plans depending on conditions:
    a) abode being livable,
    b) abode not being livable,
    c) transportation available
    d) transportation not available other than by foot.

2. Condition a) + c) is ideal and likely means the threat is limited in duration and force.
    Condition a) + d) requires that you have adequate provisions for weeks to months.
    Condition b) + c) requires you provision your transport vehicle with survival needs and fuel.
    Condition b) + d) requires you carry food and water supply with means means to self provide.

3. Whatever above conditions you experience the first thing you must do it locate nearest natural wwter source. You can only live three days without water, and after one day you will become mentally impaired and physically weak. Have a good water filter (Sawyer) and you can drink from any water source.

4. In condition b) + c) you must plan to be out of fuel requiring transition to condition b) + d).

5. You may have to live off the land. Learn about esdible plants. Keep a light weight 22 LR live a Henry Survival for hunting small game. Learn how to make and deploy snare traps for small game.

6. Have adequate means to make fire. I have ferrite rods and two lighters that harem O ring sealed and do not dry out when closed. I carry 4 oz can of lighter fluid as an accelerant in case day kindling is scarce, and of course to refill the lighters if needed.

7. No abode scenarios means carrying food. I carry a 7 day supply dehydrated vegetables (Harvest House), foil packets of tuna and chicken, and ramen noodles. All ar very light and nutritious.

8. No abode shelter is an Outdoor space blanket and a Teton Sports poncho/tarp. No sleeping bag because it adds weight and takes up space and not critical unless in extreme cold locations.

9. Comm and Geo tools for communication when possible and GPS orienteering. I use IPhone 5 and iPad Air 2 since gps works without cellular connections. Also have Gaia Maps installed.

10. First aid for a cut to a gash. I have variety of surgical pads up to 6 inches in length andcommon supplies with a couple curved needles and Kevlar thread in case wound has to be closed.

I could go on with this list in great detail, but I have to go hunt some dinner at the local market.

Huey Rider and ncnascarlady like this.
  17. Michael Cox

Michael Cox G&G Regular

I guess I am as ready as age and economics allow. I am not preparing for personal, long-term survival. If the hammer falls I doubt anyone will survive. Hopefully some will. I think the key to longer term survival is organization, and communications. And a willingness to form communities and share. An organized community could defend itself and share abilities and skills.

18. I think survival is mostly a state of mind. I try to be as prepped as I can, but I also think it can all be taken away in an instant Fires, floods Tornadoes, you name it All these and many more things can wipe out years of supplies instantly. I believe knowledge and experience combined with a strong will to survive may be one of the most important tools you can have. NOW if I can just remember where I put my lighter.

The_Wardog and ncnascarlady like this.
  19. mtnwoman

mtnwoman G&G Regular

It's a work in progress. I try keeping the pantry full, stocking up during sales. I have plenty of meat running around on the farm, and I'm getting more sustainable with growing a portion of their feed. Grow a garden with heirloom seeds and saving them. Like ncnascarlady said knowledge is one of the most important things to have. There are many areas I still need to work on, like keeping gas on hand. ( generator isn't much use without it, and I'd hate to have to cut all our fire wood without the chainsaw) Also need to get more serious about stashing away some cash.

20. I don't have room for meat with feet here, but I do know where to acquire some close by. What I need to work on is smoking and preserving that meat. No power = no refrigeration or freezing because I don't have a generator.

Need to invest in a set of butchering tools that will handle pig and cow, too. The gear I've got now is fine for deer, fish and birds, but won't work for larger animals unless I decide to make everything boneless.

Don't forget fuel to run the log splitter unless you're fond of splitting that much by hand. I know we're not able to, so I need to get to stashing gas...provided I can get Hubby onboard.

bullet maker and mtnwoman like this.