close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where the heck do you get ammo

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by wraith, Mar 30, 2002.

1. wraith

wraith G&G Newbie

need ammo for plinking around having tuff time finding it, any help would be great . thanks

2. Which French military round are you trying to find? 8mm Lebel, 7.5mm or 8mm Lebel revolver?

3. wraith

wraith G&G Newbie

sorry about that the 7.5x54 round for my 49/56.

4. Doctor Sam

Doctor Sam G&G Newbie

7.5 MAS ammo

Southern Ohio Gun has Indep FNM 170g boxer primed ammo which seems to me to be underpowered in the MAS 36. Don't know how it works in the semi-auto. Was $8.95 per box of 20 plus shipping. This is the same ammo and lot number that Empire Arms and Cole is selling for much higher prices.

5. wraith, "first stop gun" In rapid city SD has some of the Isereli made stuff. Saw it last week.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2002
  6. wraith

wraith G&G Newbie

does " first stop gun" have a web site ??

7. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Most of us make the brass from 6.5mm Swede brass .

Wyr
    God Bless

8. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

wholesale guns and ammo (www.gunsnammo.com)lists 200 rds on mg links for 96.99 but says it's corrosive.norma sells new ammo that is excellent stuff if you don't mind selling your first born to buy it.

9. Thomas-Robert

Thomas-Robert G&G Newbie

Much of the U.S. made 6.5 Swede brass is made from 3006 at the factory, and thus smaller Dia. than the true 6.5 Swede. and the true 7.5 French is larger Dia. than the 6.5 Swede.
    SO what the hey I made some 3006 cases into 7.5 French and they work OK with an ocasional failure to pick up round, on fired cases. I have some I have fired 5 or 6 times and are still usable. I use 47 Grains of H-414 behind a 150 Grain Flat-Back 308 Dia. tip,
    Avg. Speed , 2380 FPS. I memory serves the 7.5 French case is about .015 larger than the 3006 case.

10. Doctor Sam

Doctor Sam G&G Newbie

RE: ammo

Which rifle are you shooting the former 30-06 brass in? 36? 36/51 or the semi-auto?

11. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Beleave Remington brass is closer to being correct 6.5 dimension . Naturally , I bought Winchester .

Norma and Lapua are said to be correct . Have not tried this yet .

I bought some Independent ( Portugues ) that is also correct .

Shoot ire-loads in my MAS 36 .

Wyr
    God Bless

12. You are correct about Norma. Unfortunately, I don't have any, but a guy I see at the range most every weekend has a bunch. It is definitely bigger diameter than American 6.5, though not quite as large as the Indep ammo.

13. I think the MAS is a piece of crap. Its ugly, the ammo is scarce and exspensive, and their are other bolt actions out there one can have hours of fun with for half the cost in ammo. Any MAS should be sent back to France where it belongs. Their Army in ww1 and ww2 sucked and they got their *** handed to them in Vietnam. It amazes me that there are more American soldiers buried in France than there are French soldiers. The best thing about France is the plane ride back home.

Ltcboy

14. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I've been using S&B 6.5 brass for my reloads, and it seems to work fine. I haven't had any split necks with it, so I am guessing it's okay.
    Ltcboy, it pains me to say it, but we got OUR *** handed to us in Vietnam, too.

15. pappa

pappa G&G Regular

I don't believe the French are any less courageous than anyone else.
    (I am German-Irish, by the way, not French)
    Remember what the French did under Napoleon.
    However, politically the French have been very divided for quite some time. It has to do with being strong enough to defend themselves against England.
    Some Frenchmen would rather have been allied with the Germans, so as to be stronger than Great Britain. That is why there were both Free French and Vichy French. Remember that in an age of imperialism and overrunning and takeing other peoples countries, sea power was the deciding factor. One reason that England was eager to fight Germany in WWI is that Germany had started a warship building program to close the gap between their fleet and England's. And the USofA always gets drug into Europe's battles of greed.
    War always has been, and always will be about money. All the other hype is just BS to get the common man in a mood for sacrifice.

16. While I have to agree with some of the comments about France, I have to keep in mind who it was that first adopted a small bore, smokeless powder round as their military cartridge. That little fact makes my Berthiers a lot more interesting to me.
    Regards,
    Hal Beatty

17. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

How do like the Berthiers, Hal? I know of a couple for sale, and was thinking about buying one sometime soon. TIA

18. Calvin,
    I find the Berthiers rather unique and interesting. Also just a little wierd, like most French military firearms. Come to think of it, the first center-fire rifle I ever fired was the Mle 1907-15 rifle that I still own. Bought it for $9.95 back in pre GCA-68 days. My Mle 1916 carbine cost me ten times as much about five years ago, but was still a good buy, IMHO.

If you find one in nice shape, with a decent bore they can be decent shooters, though neither of mine have ever been really accurate. They're usually pretty inexpensive to buy, but again, look for overall condition, matching numbers and all the other usual stuff. Probably the worst thing is finding parts for them, and you may have to buy a junker to get a nicer one fixed up.

Finding good ammo. can be a problem, but I just hit the gun shows looking for old boxes of Remington loads. It's still out there, and I find usually find a couple boxes a year in this area. A friend scored 4 boxes of it for me a couple of months ago, not cheap but it'll help keep me going for a while longer. I bought dies for 8mm Lebel years ago, so just reload the Remington brass as I need it.

Clips are also kind of tough to find, especially the 3-shot versions for the early models. Again, just hit the gun shows and keep your eyes open. If you find some, buy 'em all as they do tend to wear out with a lot of usage.

I guess I like them for the significance of the cartridge and the historical aspect of the rifle, which saw a lot of usage during WWI.
    Regards,
    Hal Beatty

19. Thomas-Robert

Thomas-Robert G&G Newbie

I am useing the 3006 cases in a simi-auto 49 / 56 , I have to aneal the necks before I resize, I use a fired 3006 case I trim the old neck off almost down the the start of the sholder with a drill press, I then aneal the top of the case, with a propane torch, bases of cases in a pan of water, cherry up and knock over into water, then I just push the sholder back with a LEE sizeing die,
    then finish trim to lenth. they work pretty good, I have some I have fired 5 or six times and no problems, although they look puffed up I cut some in half and there is no sharp ridge on the inside of the case near the thickened area near the base. At under 2400 FPS I am gussing the pressures are around 40.000,
    and it does not short stroke, but becuse of the smaller head it may miss a cartrage now and again, more so after the cases are puffed up to 7,5 French size, ( it helps to push the magazine up tight ) . I guess you could lub the heck out of it and resize with a 3006 die then neck size with your 7.5 french, it would cut way down on brass life, a head seperation would make for a real bad day.