Where to shoot Black Bears

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by redrider13, Nov 12, 2008.

1. redrider13

redrider13 G&G Newbie

Well I've never been too keen on shooting a bear and probably never will unless I have to. The thing is, at some point in this season or maybe 4-5 seasons from now, I may have to shoot at a black bear. There have been several sightings this year of a male black bear about 300-350 pounds. Last year I personally saw a mom and here 3 cubs run across a road 40 yards from me. These are all sightings within a few miles if not yards of each other. Normally I'll be carrying my BPS loaded with Federal 3.5" 00 Magnums or my .308 with 150 grain Fusions or Rem Core Lokt. My question is, where should I shoot with both guns? Obviously I'll be up in a stand with my .308 and I would assume in the shoulders would be the best place to shoot. The shotgun is a bit different though, since we do dog and man drives I'm usually on the ground. The only way I would ever be crazy enough to shoot a bear standing on the ground is if it was coming right at me. Should I go right for the head or what? Just a little insight in the world of black bear hunting would be nice.

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

are you intending to hunt the bears, or not. odds of a black bear messing with a person of ever so very slim, unless you mess with a sows cubs. i think your worrying about something you dont need to.

3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I shoot em all on the ground...allowed 3 Black Bears a year here and 1 Grizzly.
    Black bears are best shot just behind the front shoulder about 3-5 inches up from the lower chest...Takes out the heart and lungs. Head shot is next, thru the ears or right between the eyes if he is looking at you...Brain shot is usually Instantaneous but is sure makes a mess of the skull if you are planning on cleaning it up for a trophy...

Rich

4. redrider13

redrider13 G&G Newbie

Thanks Moose. Looks like I can get em from all sides with what you just told me.

Lefty, I do not plan on hunting any black bears unless I see that big one or another like it. I feel its just good information to know since where I'm hunting there multiple bears seen just about every weekend. I'm talking within a couple squares miles there have been multiple sightings right there. I guess I forgot to mention the fact that I was standing 40 yards from that momma bear and if she had just so happened to be a little bit more towards my way, I could have been seen as a threat to her cubs.

I just wanted to make sure black bears don't have iron heads or vitals that are hard to penetrate. Its just information I would rather know and not use than not know and need to use.

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

And for LeftyO...More people are attacked by Black Bears than Grizzlies !

6. billy

billy G&G Evangelist

a sow walks through my yard every night in the summer.
    ive seen her a bunch of times.
    she is terrified of people.
    if i walk outside she is RUNNING!

7. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

Ya I have known more people attacked or stalked by black bears than brownies. I Saw a tv show the other day saying black bears are less aggresive and less likely to attack and i just laphed cause I have ran into brownies and they usually just walk off no big deal but I have been hunting and had a black bear turn around and fallow me...made me real nervous! Never had a brownie do that.

O ya and also there is a reasen they say play dead with a brown bear but fight for your life with a black bear!

8. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

yeah, thats because there's a heck of alot more black bears around than grizz. i do personally know a guy that went rounds with a blackie, but it is a very rare thing. my guess is that mor people are injured by deer every year than bear, of all kinds.

9. billy

billy G&G Evangelist

Where to shoot Black Bears
    [​IMG]

10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

billy- That's too cool !! We used to have those hanging up for different game in our Rod & Gun Club when I was young.

11. billy

billy G&G Evangelist

notice the comin right atcha gonna kick yer a$$ kill zone is REALLY small!

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

I noticed that. So, what round would give you a good chance to drop the animal if you had to try and shatter or pierce the skull with a front-on shot while it charged you?

- Coeloptera

13. TikkaTakDriver

TikkaTakDriver G&G Addict

I wonder how angry he/she would get if you blew half their muzzle off in that 40% shot. At least the bite would only hurt half as bad.

14. billy

billy G&G Evangelist

of what i own?
    .308 saiga
    then at least i would have a semiauto with 20 rounds.:bigeyes:
    and i hope i would have presence of mind enough not to panic!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  15. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Most any 243 Up caliber will shatter the skull with a front on shot . Bears run with the nose to the ground and the skull shot right between the eyes is very Do-able...308...30/06...270...7mm...375...338...300 Mags....all work just fine, and bullets do not bounce off the skull.

Rich

16. swampfox

swampfox G&G Newbie

black bear

hey all, I have a season for black bear here in halifax county, nc but have not seen any on my farm yet. I used to live at the coast of n.c. and man they have a lot down there. almost as many as deer. I have heard them walking near my stand before and we let one have my brothers doe that he shot. have fun be careful.

17. Girlgun

Girlgun G&G Newbie

well, speaking as a farm gal who's actually been charged by a black bear and who's had at least 2 black bears who were livestock killers here on the farm: most black bears are still scared of people. That is true. But: I have seen several who were actually very aggressive. They went after livestock and became killers. My personal theory is that they are getting more aggressive as they get more comfortable with people. I know there are lots of folks who think it is kind to feed the bears, and some who call themselves animal rights people even make a point to let them into homes. This really happens. Add to that all the dumpsters and campsites they feed from. The more dependent they get on people as a food source, and the more familiar they get w/ human habitats, the more inclined they are to complain about the service when they aren't getting fed enough. There have actually been human casualties by black bears in TN. And an infant was dragged out of a camp sight and killed in upstate NY. So yes, I personally believe a black bear can be dangerous.
    My buddy just took out a black bear while he was deer hunting. It was very very close by. So no, it was not avoiding him at all; it was too busy stalking my chickens (again) to care about him.
    Mind yourselves out there, guys. Play it safe and approach them w/ caution.

18. testhop

testhop G&G Newbie

REDRIDER
    IF YOUARNT GOING TO BE HUNTING BEAR AND JUST WORRYING ABOUT ONE JUMPING YOU THEN TWO THINGS TO DO MAKE A LOT OF RACKET
    AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOMEONE WHO RUNS SLOWER THAN YOU

19. gary2242

gary2242 G&G Newbie

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted