Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a while I have been thinking about getting a new .22 rifle. I shoot a lot in a weeks time i may shoot 200 shells or more. right now i shoot my dads old Glengfield Marlin Model 60. He does not like me shooting it that much so i want to get my own gun. i have been looking at different ones and would like to know which one is a better gun. i want to put a scope on it and see thru scope mounts on it. i hunt rabits, squirrel, ****, and target practice. i would like it to handle a lot of use because i shoot a lot. i want a reasoable price gun not to high but i am willing to pay more for a better quality gun. I like the way the Marlin Mod 60 shoots and the look and front sight of the Marlin Mod 60 SB
i like the henry lever action for its looks and i just like a lever action rifle
these are the guns that i have been looking at

Marlin
model 60
Model 60 SB
Model Golden 39 A lever action

Henry Lever action
Model H001
Model H001L carbine verson

Savage
Model 64G

i would apreciate your advice

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
scoutman Glad you joined. There sure are a lot of 22's on the market to choose from. But since you feel a leveraction is the style you want the
Henry or Marlin would be excellent choices.
I own an auto loader and 2 Bolt action's and personaly I like the bolt action's better. For years I wanted a Marlin Golden 39A leveraction but with 3 22's already I never bought one.
I hope you get a good responce to your post because of the many 22's available.
A member here named billy bought a CZ bolt action weeks ago and from his post about it, it sounds like an excellent choice, let's see what the other members say. Thanks A.H

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Welcome to the boards!

You can't go wrong with a Marlin. Also, Henry won't let you down. They've been making rifles for a few years. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
The marilin 60 isn't bad but you can get all kinds of things for the ruger 10-22. I like to try to bumpfire mine. see ak 47 nutter on youtube. :)
Also, if you want to put a suppressor on it, don't get the ones with the tubular mag or you have to take it off every time you reload. Another plus for the ruger. For that, I would get a lever action 77-22 model.

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
those henrys are beautiful! ive always like em.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
If you can find one at a decent price, you'll never regret the Marlin 39A. I've had mine for over 30yrs and shot hundreds of thousands of rds through it. It is still the best shooting gun that I own and will group a full magazine into 1
1\2" @ 50 yds using iron sights.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have a Marlin 60W and like it fine. Believe it or not, and this is just personal preference, I like the inexpensive Mark II Savage bolt action even better than the Marlin. Like I said, just personal preference.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
what are the pros and cons of a lever action and auto

also does the marlin 39 A have a scope rail

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
The Marlin leverguns are very slim in profile and takes down with one screw. They don't come with a scope rail but the later models are drilled and tapped and the rail is usually less than $15.00. The semi-autos are great but are harder to take apart and must be cleaned from the muzzle. The semi-autos are also much cheaper to purchase. The 39A is a solid gun and weighs around 7 lbs loaded so it feels like a "real" gun. Just my .02

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I have a Ruger Mdl 96 that I think is just the Bee's Knees so thar ya'll

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The Marlin 39A seems to be a pricey gun. The going price is over $400 (Closer to $500) for a new rifle. I think they are somewhat rare...but I'm not certain.

If money is an issue and you don't want an autoloader, try a Savage Mark II bolt action .22. It will run you about $275. You could also find some old pump action guns for under $150.

In my opinion, I would buy an autoloader. I would recommend the Remington 597 (Remington Model 597™) . I was talked into one on sale at wally world for $125 a couple of years ago, and don't regret it at all. If the bullet moved slower, it would probably drive tacks, but instead it keeps shooting through them :D

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,362 Posts
All the rifles listed so far are good 'uns! Your best bet is to go to the local gunshop, and handle as many as you can - check them for fit, comfort, sights, smoothness of action.
Also, a trip to your local range is good, as many owners will let you shoot their .22 rifles. Good way to get to know the other folks too!
If money is tight, it pays to take your time, and see what really "trips your trigger!"
If you were down here, I have thirty different rimfires you could try . . . :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hey Scout, If you like to shoot a lot, why not go with a Ruger autoloader.

Operating a lever, pump or bolt causes wear on various gun parts.

An Autoloader has few moving parts so if your primary interest is burning up ammo it might be the best choice.

I think the Ruger has earned a reputation for being dependable and would be an excellent choice.

I love my pump and lever action .22's so I'm not against them.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
In your original post you chose the Henry .22 lever action as one you'd like to hear about, too. IMHO, that's an excellent choice for economy and comes in upscaled models, too. I have the bare bones Henry which works perfectly for what I want...plinking at small targets with as many rounds posssible within the time available at an affordable cost.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
That lil Henry is a slick good looking good functioning lil rifle that you really can't go wrong with!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts