Which 25 Cal to use on MI Whitetail?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by k8cca, Sep 30, 2002.

1. k8cca

k8cca G&G Newbie

I have a Rem 700 ADL in 25-06 that I use for Deer Hunting here in MI. Last year I used Reminton factory ammo 120Gr. corelocked and it worked fine got my first buck, but this year I want to use handloads. Any advice on Bullets? I was looking at those 117gr Sierra SPBT and they look pretty good. The rifle is a tack driver with 100Gr SPBT, but I think that might be to light and need to work up and sight in a Hunting load. Any thoughts?

THANKS!!!

2. dave375hh

dave375hh Guest

How about the Nosler 100gr partition's? I've seen mixed results with Sierra's particulary the BT's shedding their jackets quite often. They make very accurate bullets but there are better choices for hunting performance. Nos. part., BarnesX, Swift Sirroco, C/T (win) Failsafe.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2002

3. k8cca

k8cca G&G Newbie

Is 100Gr heavy enough?

4. dave375hh

dave375hh Guest

K8cca,

My buddy has taken two caribou and 13 deer with that same bullet. The caribou were at 125yds and 275yds. Complete penitration on both with a .257 STW loaded to 3700fps. I loaded them and crono'ed them. He shoots a lot of deer while working as a guide on a ranch in Texas for two mo. a year. They call them control deer(the ugly ones I guess).

5. k8cca

k8cca G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info! I picked up 100Gr Nosler Ballistic tip (blue) and loaded up 15 rds for testing w/ 52-56 gr of IMR 4831(I have had the best luck with IMR-4831). I'll head out to the range on Saturday. The book says 56 Gr of IMR 4831 = 3400 FPS as the max load, so we'll see how they do. My buddy just got a chrony, so I am looking forward to shooting thru it. Thanks for the help!

6. dave375hh

dave375hh Guest

k8cca,
    My recomendation was partitions not balistic tips. I don't recomend the 100gr balistic tips for anything larger than coyotes. If your going to use the bal tips go to the 115gr.

7. k8cca

k8cca G&G Newbie

Yeap. They only had the ballistic tips. In fact that was the heavyist bullet they had in 25 cal. It seems that I am not having very good luck finding anything local. I guess I'll call Misway USA>. Thanks for the help.

Eric

8. handloader

handloader Guest

I would load 100 grain Partitions in your 25-06 I think you will be very happy with tier performance. If you have troble finding them try
    www.armsandammo.com
    They will have them at a good price and they are great people to deal with and are very prompt on shipping.
    Good luck and good hunting.

9. k8cca

k8cca G&G Newbie

Hey I found some Nolser 115 Grain Partitions, I loaded up a few test rounds last night. Hope to get back to the range later this week. The 100 Gr Ballistic tip ammo was the most accurate I ever shot! I had 1/2" groups at 100 Yds, on a perfectly still, sunny Saturday morning. MAN, wish I could shoot like that all the time! I also had some 117Gr Seirra Gamemasters that did 8" groups on the same morning, same rifle, am not sure what happened on those. Same brass as the Noslers. I am hoping these new PTN will work good. Maybe my rifle, Rem 700 ADL w/ Leupold 3x9x40 Varix 2 scope don't like them bigger bullets. Thanks for the help! I''ll let you guys know what I find on Saturday.