Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings people, I'm new here so if I'm treading too well worn of ground my apologies. Most of the postings I've seen are a little older than a year and things change. I've been hunting for years with my father, always using older military rifles, primarily Mausers and have grown accustomed to their solid safety features and longevity. I'm considering moving to a higher caliber auto loader rifle, most likely a .308. I'm comfortable with solid steel receivers which seem to be only available in Springfields M1a rifles. Have also seen good comments about Armalites, RR, and DPMS.

I want to buy a rifle that's going to last (with proper care), be accurate, dependable, and something to pass along to my kids. From all of your combined experience, knowing the final decision is mine, I'm looking forward to hearing from people with experience and no sales talk. Thanks.
:feedback:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,945 Posts
An old Retired Marine range buddy has the DPMS .308 AR rifle, and he likes it. Less expensive than the Armalite, and as good or better quality. Shoots very well - he was stacking them into neat little cloverleafs at 100 yards, last Sunday morning.

·
Registered
202 Posts
auto .308

I am lucky enough to own the Bushmaster BAR10 and an Armalite AR10A2, both are 20" H-Bar barrel and deadly with open sights. I plan on putting a good long range scope on the Armalite for hog hunting (we are overrun with them here in Central Texas) Rock River is supposed to come out with their version, I own an AR15 in the A2 version with a 16" bbl and their .308 version (which I was told is now being renamed the LAR8) is supposed to be on the market soon, about a year late. for the price, you cant beat Rock River Arms, good workmanship and about $300 cheaper than the Bushmasters (discontinued) and Armalites, I belive RR bought the .308 design from Bushmaster.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
AR-10's are nice, but if you are getting it to hunt with, I would suggest an M-14/M1A1 or a real hunting rifle like the Browning BAR. Most states limit mag capacity for hunting.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I'll +1 both the AR-10 (and variants) and the M1A/M14.

...but I thought I'd also suggest the CETME, as it's going to run about the same as a cheap AR-10. The biggest issue is to make sure it's been fired before and functions without any hiccups, as Century Arms International put them together and sometimes they're hit-or-miss on whether the welding was done straight or if everything is 'in-spec'. Great little Battle-Rifle, though and one of the lightest recoils of any .308 you'll find out there. It's recoil is comparable to a Bushmaster M4 in .223 (at least, it was to me when I got to try a guy's at the range).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Some good feedback. Had looked at the M1A's but seemed to be selling several hundred dollars more than the DPMS or RR.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Well, a good CETME will run you $600 ($4-500 if you find a deal), but you can conceivably build an AR-10 from parts for about that much. So, it's really up to you, as price seems to be an issue.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
bnkrbob I just wanted to WELCOME you to GUN and GAME as you can see there are plenty of fine folks here to help with your question.
Thanks for joining...A.H

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Who told you you can build an AR-10 for $600?
It was a quick off-the-top-of-my-head guesstimate. I just kinda took into account the general pricing of all the major parts and added a bit for shipping/transfer fees/little parts. Guess I was a bit off on my guess by your reaction.

But, if you're saying there's no way you're going to build one that cheap, then it just bolsters my suggestion of the CETME for his purposes.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
bnkrbob, Easy Question.
FAL L1A1. Scope mounted receiver cover for hunting.
FAL L1A1 w/ 20 round mag for the range
FAL L1A1 w/ side stackable magazines for home
It's a heavy rifle for hunting, but, we are MEN!

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Last I checked I thought the uppers alone for a .308 AR were around $600, and thats for a standard 16"/20" flat top upper. I'm sure in a few years prices will come down as more places start to offer them though.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Last I checked I thought the uppers alone for a .308 AR were around $600, and thats for a standard 16"/20" flat top upper. I'm sure in a few years prices will come down as more places start to offer them though.
Wow... crazy. I just wish LWRC had uppers in their new tech.-system in .308 or .50Beowolf; they currently only have 5.56 and 6.8.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How would you rate for quality and longevity DPMS over Springfiels M1a? I've seen some postings/articles from people who were having problems with mis-feeds, etc with DPMS. Don't know if it was just a period in their production they outgrew or what.

Just for sime insight, I've never gotten into reloading in the past but that can change.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd say a FAL. You can buy a really good one for $750 if you shop around the classifieds - I know because I found two really nice ones at that price (an STG58 on Imbel, and an Imbel kit on Imbel receiver).

·
Registered
879 Posts
Which .308 Autoloader for hunting, range, and home
I have an ArmaLite AR-10A4 that started life as a 20" SPR, but now wears a 16" carbine upper. It's a nice 300 yard rifle.
I prefer the M14 platform - specifically those custom built on forged Norinco/Polytech receivers.
I have a pair with MK14 SEI rifles with 18" barrels, these are 600+> yard rifles with AK47 reliability.

Another advantage the M14 platform has over others is that you can dress it in a more PC looking USGI wood or synthetic stock.
My current favorite configuration is a modified USGI synthetic stock.
I have a Burris 2-7x32 Handgun Scope on the way. 5 and 10 round mags are available.

HTH ~

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
A note here about M14/M1A1, now in saying this I am not certain the issue was addressed in the manufacture of the M1A1 or not but as I recall the standard 7.62mm Nato Ball round NALC A130/131(M14/M60 fodder) develops 50,000psi of chamber pressure, there was an All Services Notice out in the late 1980's that forbid use of commercially loaded .308 in the M14 because of excessive chamber pressures (52,000+psi) can anyone here tell me if the issue was addressed in making the M1A1 available or not I have never heard. Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts