Which 45 Caliber for fun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by Aaron88, Aug 14, 2010.

Which .45 caliber Colt?

1. Colt 1911 .45 ACP

23 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. Colt 1873 .45 Colt

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Colt 1851 .44 BP

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Glock Glock Glock!

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. So I got to shoot my first single action revolvers, one Uberti clone and one of them was a Pietta Colt Navy replica, a brass frame. Holy cow those were awesome!

So I thought I would ask which vintage is your favorite Colt .45 Caliber handgun?

1911, 1873 or 1851?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. BenchRest

BenchRest G&G Addict

VA
    Guess I’m an old softie but gotta go with the 1911.

3. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

there is no substitude for a good 1911.:swordfight:

4. i love the single action pistols, and they are fun and real bad *** to shoot

but id go with the 1911, as it is a more practical firearm to own than a single action revolver

i think the 1911 is a pretty baller gun, but personally i think the single actions are a little cooler (cause everyone and their mom has a 1911, but it is a testament to its reliability and solid nature)

5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I like the SA,s for pleasure shooting.I know they are old and obsolete,but at my age,I am pregidice. ,,,sam.

6. okami515

okami515 G&G Regular

I love the 1911, But like Sam I really love the single actions, watched to many westerns with my Dad as a kid I guess.

7. hack1911

hack1911 G&G Newbie

KY
    I really like my SAs, but 45 Colt is so expensive and hard to find compared to 45 ACP. I have to go with the 1911.

8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

"there is no substitude for a good 1911."

So if there are no 1911's around you just surrender ?? Such attitute !!
    There is always a substitute. 45 Longus Coltus wins hands down !!

9. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

10. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Since this would be for fun I gotta go with the black powder.

11. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I'll break the mold just for fun and say SA XD45 with a 4 inch barrel they got the new XDm 45 but the XD that i have is sweet enough that I feel no need to change it.

12. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

usfa clone of the colt.
    hands down, and black powder is still an option with it.
    just wish the colt had longer grip frame.

13. comparing a Colt .45 to a Glock is like comparing George Washington to Obama. The Colt is reliable, works well, accurate, and will be around forever. Kind of like George Washington. The Glock is inconsistent, black and ugly kind of like Obama.

14. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have well over 1,000 rounds through my two glocks with ZERO malfunctions. yes thats right, Zero.

Vs enough malfunctions with my two Kimber 1911s that I sold both of them.

Oh well. YMMV

In any case Id get a Sig P220. I know its not on your list but dang, out of the four .45ACP handguns Ive owned, (Full sized Kimber Custom II, 3" Kimber Ultra Carry II, HK USP Compact, Sig P220) its my favorite .45 by far. Im never getting rid of it.

btw the HK USPc was also flawless in performance with over 500 rounds through it but I sold it cause I didnt like the trigger variant on it and I used the money to fund my P220 and never looked back. Its new owner is very happy with it as well.

btw I also here that the Smith and Wesson M&P 45s are pretty good too and less expensive if that is a factor.

15. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee

Although the SAA .45 revolvers are FUN to shoot (and I shot them a LOT as a Cowboy Action Shooter), and I have MANY .45 ACP pistols in both the 1911 and other styles, I have to say the MOST pleasurable shooting .45s I own are the SIG P220s. They are accurate, smooth, heavy, and easy to load/shoot.

I carry concealed Glocks, because they are light weight, high capacity, and goof-proof.

But if I was going to carry a holstered .45 on my hip everyday in the open, it would be the SIG P220, in .45 ACP, bar none.:handgun:

16. Pothole

Pothole G&G Regular

are we comparing guns or calibers?

because id go with .45ACP........in a Sig p220

17. TRUE GRIT

TRUE GRIT G&G Regular

All of the above are fun, if I could only have one it would be the 1911. If you already have a solid defensive handgun ( sig, glock,xd, hi power, et.c) & had fun with the SAA than I say go ahead a nurture your inner cowboy.