Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IF someone were going to carry a 9MM semi-auto pistol, which brand and bullet style/weight would you recommend, and why?

Here are the parameters:

Female CCW holder. Experienced shooter and NOT recoil shy. Hits what she is aiming at, very well.

Gun is a Glock 19, carried in her purse. One in the chamber, and 15 in the magazine. No spare magazine.

It is not known if others are also CCW holders/packing.

She works in an office in a metropolitan area, down town. There are approximately 50 co-workers, all on the same floor, in a variety of cubicles and small private offices. The building is brick and glass, and the office is on the street level.

Which load do you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
Corbon 9mm +P 115gr DPX. Make sure to get the DPX and not the standard stuff Corbon makes.

It uses a solid copper Barnes X bullet. Its made for reliable expansion while still keeping all of its mass and with very good penetration.

Its expensive but its devastating. I also carry it in a Glock 19.

If I cant get any DPX Ill use Speer Gold Dots.

·
Banned
2,594 Posts
1. Hornady Critical Defense 115gr Flex Tip Expanding

2. Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDX1 124gr and or 147gr. I had these in my S.A. XDm 9 9mm and they feed wonderfully! I had the 147gr version.

If you can find them and want to spend the cash, WINCHESTER RANGER TALON SXT's 147gr. These are the predecessor to the Black Talons. While they say Law Enforcement/Military on the box you can purchase them. I have a box of them and got them from AmmoToGo.com

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,269 Posts
I like the critical defense data and construction. Have not done a feed check with them yet. That gets expensive with premium ammo. They are not on the shelf a whole bunch either.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Jerry has it absolutely correct; forget all the published specifications for this or that ammo and just carry exactly what your local police carry in their 9mms. That eliminates one possible irritant from the over zealous ADA that is trying to make up their mine as whether or not to bring charges against you for use of excessive force. ......... Big Cholla

·
Banned
2,594 Posts
And other then having a friend on the force how do you find out what your local PD is using? Will they give that information up readily?

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
Jerry has it absolutely correct; forget all the published specifications for this or that ammo and just carry exactly what your local police carry in their 9mms. That eliminates one possible irritant from the over zealous ADA that is trying to make up their mine as whether or not to bring charges against you for use of excessive force. ......... Big Cholla

lol the round I carried in my personal off duty gun is way more effective and uses bullet technology that is current vs the out dated hollow point design that my department used up unto recently when they switched over. (hydrashok - which was top of the line bullet design 15 years ago.) Just cause the PD uses it doesnt mean its the best. Its what they can afford and whatever decision some admin LT decided to use and implimented who knows how long ago.

·
Registered
662 Posts
9mmXDm: Just pickup the phone and call your local PD station. Be friendly and odds are who ever is on desk duty will tell you right off what is being issued.

TACAV: I never said what they carry would be the absolute most devastating 9mm ammo out there. I firmly believe after 20 years of LEO work and firearms research, that what really counts with handguns is where your 'multiple' bullet placements are. All handgun calibers are notoriously weak as compared to the average big bore rifle. You shoot a large mammal with any handgun, you want to be very careful just where you shoot it and how many times you can shoot it to make sure it stays shot. JMHO, ..... Big Cholla

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
MAN!!! What a rude awakening! I just looked up the price of a box of 124gr gold dot! $45.! I bought lots of bullets back a while ago and am glad I did.That is what I carry but I can't reccomend that price for loaded ammo.

·
Banned
2,594 Posts
MAN!!! What a rude awakening! I just looked up the price of a box of 124gr gold dot! $45.! I bought lots of bullets back a while ago and am glad I did.That is what I carry but I can't reccomend that price for loaded ammo.
A box for $45 where are you looking? MidwayUSA has them for $19.99/20rd box. $20.99/20rd box for the 124gr +P version. The 147gr is $20.99/20rd box as well.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for all the Replies, fellas.

Since the practice ammo is 115gr. bullets, I'll recommend she goes with one of the 115gr. personal defense loads. Cost of the ammo is not a factor, because the ammo will be tested for function, then carried until needed. No sense in wasting high priced ammo for paper punching, after determining that it works in the gun.

Sounds like I will probably recommend the Hornady Flex Tip due to the data at the end of this Reply. I have found the Flex Tip ammo to be extremely effective in other calibers.

I have not shot the 147gr. 9MM defense ammo, myself, but I have read several articles that were less than complimentary about using 147gr. bullets in a 9MM pistol.

Dan6975, I have seen that study before, and it has a LOT of great info.

I find it troubling that the Barnes XPB bullets yaw and exit up to 90 degrees from flight path, once they penetrate 4" into the ballistic gel. One thing not needed in a defensive shooting is bullets going somewhere other than the path you aimed them.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
from what i understand of the change of trajectory the majority of the energy emparted to the terminal stop makes it so that even if the bullet exits it will not have enough energy left to do any damage to secondary objects ( i could be wrong but none have come forward with anything otherwise)
and i think for someone that wants that first hit to count the most it works but honestly bullet tech has come such a long ways that any round will pretty much get the job done .
Hell, i know from experience lawman ( cheepooo ) ammo left over from the range will get the job done but i know your intent is to Maximize the absolute best chance of doing what needs to be done , so i get ya

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
A box for $45 where are you looking? MidwayUSA has them for $19.99/20rd box. $20.99/20rd box for the 124gr +P version. The 147gr is $20.99/20rd box as well.
Man!Man!Man!I must really be stupid! Of course $19.99 for 20rds comes out to about $49.97 for 50rds.

·
Banned
2,594 Posts
Man!Man!Man!I must really be stupid! Of course $19.99 for 20rds comes out to about $49.97 for 50rds.
FYI you never said a 50rd box. You just said a box and a box to me is what is on the label.

So if that is 100 to a pack that is a box.

So if it is 50 to a pack that is a box.

So if it is 25 to a pack that is a box.

So if it is 20 to a pack that is a box.

You need to specify more, because this day in age the price of a box of ammo could very well be $49.47 for a box of 100/50/25/20/10/5...

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
I have seen tests with water jugs where the 9mm Hornady Critical Defense & the Winchester DPX1 did okay until you added a couple of layers of denim to the first jug, then they failed to expand. The PDX1 did better in .40S&W & .45ACP calibers. I haven't seen tests of the Hornady in those 2.

Two brands were tested, the same way, & did well in all calibers. Corbon DPX 115 gr. +P, as already posted, & Federal HST 124 gr. +P. The latter is hard to find & I've had some on order for a couple of weeks & others report it on order for 3 months.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
FYI you never said a 50rd box. You just said a box and a box to me is what is on the label.

So if that is 100 to a pack that is a box.

So if it is 50 to a pack that is a box.

So if it is 25 to a pack that is a box.

So if it is 20 to a pack that is a box.

You need to specify more, because this day in age the price of a box of ammo could very well be $49.47 for a box of 100/50/25/20/10/5...
For your information 3 is a big # to me,I can only count to 4.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts