Which AK to Buy?

Discussion in 'AK47' started by MKultra, Sep 10, 2010.

1. MKultra

MKultra G&G Newbie

I am looking to buy an AK-47 and I know there are many brands from many different manufacturers. I was wondering what you guys recommend as a solid, reliable version and which ones to avoid. Also, What do you think of the MAK-90 and if that would be a good buy?

2. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I'd go with the Siaga it would be alot cheaper than a MAC 90 and you would be getting a real Russian AK.

3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Just my opinion, for what it's worth, but I would buy the cheapest AK 47, that shoots 3 MOA or better. If it feeds reliably, and hits a "minute of man" group, you are good to go.

Many get cranked up about trying to buy an AK 47 that is "accurate" or "cast" or whatever. They miss the point of an AK47. It was designed as a cheap, dependable in all conditions, mass production battle rifle, to be fielded by masses of troops for wholesale spraying of bullets at enemy troops.

Expecting any more than that out of an AK47 is a disappointment in the making.

The SAIGA is an excellent choice, IF you take the time and money to do the conversion on it to make it an AK47, rather than a "sporter" rifle. Other than that, there are many cheap AK47s to choose from. Check out GunsAmerica.com to get an idea of what to look for.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  4. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

+1

To the OP:

I got a MAK-90, and I LOVE IT. Mine holds 1MOA under 100 yards (sand bagging) and is a SWEET rifle. I can't say that's it's for everyone, but I got it because they are heavier built, stronger, than most variants, and the heavier, ribbed barrel makes me all giddy. Converting, and doing it RIGHT, with parts of the same quality as the rifle, is expensive, time consuming, and replacing the front sight to get a bayonet lug and muzzle brake requires machining out a sight block.

I Like Saiga, you get a lot of rifle for the money. Same woes as MAK-90, converting, is less of a pain, but just as much money. (up to $300)

WASR or Lancaster is a great place to start though. Cheap, fully military styled rifles. They aren't 'high quality' but they are worth the sticker price, AK reliable, minute of man accurate, and are ready to rock and roll, no conversion required.

5. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

You Should Get A M72 RPK ;)

6. BarryHalls

I Love RPKs, but they are rare, and sort of expensive. So, I got a MAK-90 :)

7. BarryHalls

For the record, both Yugoslavia and China made MAK-90s. They are practically identical, except that Chinese have chrome lined barrels and Yugos do not.

Not a big difference, but worth it to me. (I have a Chinese).

8. I think my next one is going to be a Yugo milled kit finished by Turbothis, or I am getting a CZ58 folder and convert the stock.
    Probably both though!

9. Yea, I read about turbothis when I was inquiring about a rear trunnion to convert an AK from a folder to a fixed. I don't blame ya'.

As to which AK, if I were you, no matter which you get, make sure if you buy it in person you inspect it for canted front and rear sights as well as the gas tube.

If buying online, make sure there is an inspection period so you can inspect for those same items and if it turns out to have any, you can return it for a refund or exchange it.

10. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

MAK 90 Is Chinese ONLY Yugoslavia Are M70's AB1 And AB2...NO MAK 90. MAK 90 Is China's Designation For The Sporter Type 56s "CLINTON'S BAN"

11. Kyl63

Kyl63 G&G Newbie

I'm going to get a lot of groans about this one...
    I am pretty proud of what I am able to do with my WASR, especially since it is considered a lower-quality rifle. I'm not sure if this is true with all WASRs, but it came with an upgraded trigger, chrome barrel, and the receiver is milled, not stamped. Again, not sure if this is true with all WASRs, but the one I bought was a demilitarized Romanian rifle. I've been able to reliably hit 4" targets at about 225 yards with an EOTech on a side-bracket mount.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  12. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

STAMPED Not Milled....NO WASR IS MILLED

13. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

Pictures Would Help...Does Yours Look Like This?

[​IMG]

Or This?

[​IMG]

14. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

Any of the suggested rifles so far would be a good choice. You might try looking at your local gun shops for a used one. Sometimes you can find a real bargain there. A good friend of mine picked up a used converted Saiga in .308 with scope for a good price at a local shop.

15. Kyl63

Kyl63 G&G Newbie

Sorry, you are correct, it is stamped, not milled. The main difference was that it was demilitarized (might have been the source of my confusion), not one produced for civilian sales. 100% sure on the chrome barrel and Tapco trigger though.

16. BarryHalls

I thought so, but couldn't remember whether M70 was a cut down RPK or the beefy under-folders.

17. BarryHalls

Chrome and tapco is standard on WASR. Good to have too.

18. MKultra

MKultra G&G Newbie

Thanks for all the information guys. I am going to the gun show this weekend with a pocket full of cash and walking out with some goodies.

19. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

Good luck and let us know what you bring home.

20. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

I have this SLR 101 S Bulgarian milled receiver that cost me under $800.00 NIB out the door a few yrs back with OD green furniture.

ARSENAL INC

K-Var Corp. ™

The new US milled receivers should be better than the Bulgarians and the Bulgarians are tack drivers, but the new MSRP are double the price I paid out the door a few yrs back.

If you got the dough, then nothing will beat a milled receiver AK so get a used Bulgarian or a new high dollar US made receiver.

I got a stamped Maadi that aside the trigger slap (easy fixed if the owner wants to) shoots fine for an AK, but side by side the milled receiver is a higher quality rifle by a long shot and also shoots where you aim (unlike most stamped AKs).

If it was me and I got the dough, I would go with the SAM7-13, sweet rifle.