Which AR-15 to buy?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by k8cca, Oct 3, 2002.

1. k8cca

k8cca G&G Newbie

Been thinking about getting a Post ban AR-15 and would like some input on what you guys think. Am thinking about getting a Bushmaster or Colt.

Also, can you use 30 rd clips on a post ban rifle?

Thanks!
    Eric

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I'm real partial to Bushy's, and yes, you can use thirties, forties, etc. Even a drum if you can find one (they ain't cheap!).

Oly's "Plinker" is nice, if you're on a budget.

But please stay away from Hesse! Bad Juju.

3. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I have been issued, and own a Bushmaster. I love it. Can't say anything about Colt b/c I have never fired one.

4. How about Stoner? Do they make AR 15's?

5. k8cca

k8cca G&G Newbie

Been looking around and am now thinking about building one based on Bushmaster. Need to get a catalog and start studying. You guys have any advice? I am thinking about getting a complted upper for ease in construction.

Thanks,
    Eric

6. Big Dog

Nice thing about Bushmaster - they build military contract items. The rifles are okay with both commercial .223 Rem. ammo, and the milsurp 5.56X45 - and no, they aren't the same thing! Some rifles are built for one or the other, but can't handle both. Differences in chamber specs.

Check out the gunshows. A range buddy built an AR for $500 using a complete Bushmaster lower ($250) added to an unmarked upper (maker unknown, flat-top, 24" heavy stainless barrel, $250), and it has been superb. Digests all ammo, and is very accurate.
    It's a bit heavy for field carry, but a nice bench gun.

7. guffster

guffster Guest

no problems with my Bushmaster Dissapator, fun gun to shoot

8. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

You are probably not gping to save that much $$$ .

Wyr
    God Bless

9. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Did the $ 250.00 include the bolt / bolt carrier & the chargeing handle ? If so , it was a steal !

Wyr
    God Bless

10. Big Dog

Hi Wyr! (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Yeah, he got a heck of a deal. Both upper and lower were complete. He was a bit worried about the upper being of an unknown manufacturer, but it has been excellent. It had some cosmetic blemishes, so might have been some makers early effort. I've shot .6" groups at 100 yards with it, using a 6-24X40 scope.
    Shows that sometimes you can still find deals at gunshows.

11. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I do not like the AR15/M16. but i do like the AR-180, wonder if S.A.Inc's version is as good as the original???:confused:

12. Mike southers

Mike southers Guest

Try ArmaLite. I don't think Stoner is in business as an entity. He make work for someone, though. ArmaLite makes the AR-180B. Problem is, it has a lot of stamped metal. Just not as good as forgings (ArmaLites M15A4 or AR-10).

13. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Buying a complete barreled upper avoids buying most of the tooling & it seems not to be any more expensive than buying parts ?

Might ask about buying a bolt at the same time that is head spaced to the barrel ?

Uou can also buy a complet lower , stock and all , already assembled , through your FFL .

Wyr
    God Bless

14. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Seems like I remember hearing Stoner died ?

Wyr
    God Bless

15. David N

David N Guest

Armalite is a fine way to go. However, for a $100 or so less you can purchase an Eagle Arms made by Armalite. They are basically an Armalite with cosmetic defects. Mine is an absolute joy. And its chambered for both .223 and mil 5.56x45.

16. Mike southers

Mike southers Guest

My M15A4 and my AR-10 are both sweet shooting machines.

17. softballcoachki

softballcoachki Guest

S&W Ar 15

I own a S&W AR 15. After 1000 rounds, still no missfire or problems. Pricewise, I know the colt is the most expensive and then the S&W is next. Is there really a difference in the various brands?? Good to know for the novice and a potential buyer.

18. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist

Stay away from all of the makers' "plinker" models, as some have been made with inferior cast recievers. I have a long history with Olympic Arms products, and have found them (with the exception of the unattractive 1911 models) to be trouble free and durable. A gunsmith friend of mine has built many custom ar's on DPMS recievers and has no customer complaints. I think if you are looking at a Colt, you're looking to pay a premium based on a name of an outfit whose glory days are 30 years gone. My OLY M-4A3 based AR will shoot circles around my pre-ban Colt Match HBAR.

19. BudW

BudW G&G Evangelist

Whats the difference between pre ban and after?

20. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Not sure, but remember that this thread was started in 2002..:bigeyes: