of that wretched device!!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Re: NONE............................

Originally posted by PAPA G
of that wretched device!!!:mad:
note its a two part answer:p

unless i am totally wrong the aluminum corrodes over a period of time when exposed to salt, and humidity. isn't that one of your concerns???

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can put it in one of those gun socks that they impregnate with silicone...

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
I thought aluminum was less prone to corrosion than steel. Or maybe the aluminum corrodes due to galvanic corrosion since the steel and aluminum are mated together. One reason I'm planning to build my AR-15 on a Stainless DPMS receiver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought my first Colt SP1 back in 1973 for $179.00 new in the box. Never had any kind of rusting problem with any of them I ever owned.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
I'm thrashing in pain at the knowledge of how little you paid nine years before I was born. :p

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,197 Posts
Originally posted by Logansdad
the thread name isn't "What do you think of the AR-15 ?" :rolleyes:
Two AK's...looking for a 3rd! :p :D

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Bushmaster......sold quietly when Liss was lost her job. :(

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts
:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

Colt M4, I'm in love with it!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my next trip to Guntuky, I may bring mine just to let Papa G try it, who knows he may like it after a couple of rounds of ammo and beer!!!!

That is if he let me try his M14 and his M1!!!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
I hope to have an AR-10 some day. But my current AR-15 was built by me on an Eagle Arms lower.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
BattleRifleG3 said:
I thought aluminum was less prone to corrosion than steel. Or maybe the aluminum corrodes due to galvanic corrosion since the steel and aluminum are mated together. One reason I'm planning to build my AR-15 on a Stainless DPMS receiver.
i have seen pictures of M-16's used by the Phillipine Army with holes eroded through the magwells, and the carrying handles thinned from perseration and humidity. don't know what their maintenance procedure is but something was out of wack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought myself a nicely crafted Bushmaster XM15-E2S with the 16 inch barrel and the Izzy flash suppressor. It's also got ALL of the pre ban accessories we all cherish... My brother has two AK-47s, (one SAR-1 and an MAK-90) and the AR-15 makes those things look like kid's toys. American Made, American Owned.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
As long as it works reliably, then it sounds like a fine rifle. That isn't always the case with ARs. An unreliable AK is a rare exception to the rule. Nothing wrong with good ARs, but I would NEVER call an AK a toy (unless, of course, it was Airsoft ;) )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Point taken.. but you knew what I meant. :p I still think the AR-18 series would be the better rifle of the 3. Pretty much an M-16 with AK-47 reliability due to the superior gas system.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
I agree that the AR-18 was a very good idea, but do think we could have gone farther in that direction. If we hadn't forced the M16 into service (I think we should have adopted the FAL on a temporary basis) we could have coughed up something even better than the Stoner 63, Daewoo, Robinson Armament XCR, HK G36, and other improvements on the AR family of weapons (yes, the G36 is an improvement on the AR design, not a whole new one, no matter what HK claims).

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Tenable said:
Point taken.. but you knew what I meant. :p I still think the AR-18 series would be the better rifle of the 3. Pretty much an M-16 with AK-47 reliability due to the superior gas system.
i agree with the AR-18 as a should have been issued, it was a better rifle than the "15/16" Stoner relized the short comings of the M-16, and designed a better weapon.

i still kick my self for not buying an M-180 back in the day when i was single, had money, and they were affordible :eek:
the current Armalite M180B is just a compromise to PC and use of M-16 magazine and internals, and the AWBI. unfortunatly last i heard Armalite has no plans to re-engineer it for folding stock and flash suppressor like the original.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts