Which fire extinguisher?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by GlockMeister, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Alright my fellow reloaders. It's taken me a while to get the room done, or well, done to the point to where I could bring my reloading bench in from the garage and get it set-up and have my set-up in the house.

Now that it's in the house, and since part of the agreement was/is that I'd also make sure to get and have a fire extinguisher on hand, I need and would truly like and appreciate your recommendations, suggestions and input as to which fire extinguisher would be best to have on hand, if, GOD forbid, something were to go horribly wrong.

I know they have different ratings and there are different fire extinguishers for different fires as well as I believe one for all or most types of fires and you want, need the right one for the right job. And I would like one specifically for my needs and would rather not have a one for all or a one for most types. Obviously my main concern is for the powder and primers. There will be electricity in use but quite honestly, that's not going to be a concern. Well, that much of one anyways. It obviously is and will be the two aforementioned items.

So if you please would, tell me which one I should have on stand by? Give me your suggestions and or recommendations.

Thanks for any and all help in advance,

GM

2. Side note. In looking online and trying to find information, I ran into a few places that have caused other concerns.

One and the main concern is reloading in my home and insurance?

Another one being, are there limits to how much powder and primers one can have in their home? If so, what are those limits and do they vary from state to state, city to city or county to county?

Do you suggest letting my insurance company know I'm reloading in my house? Have you let yours know?

Can they turn you down or deny coverage or paying the claim if you don't let them know or if you tell them you're reloading?

Other questions may arise and will post as I think or come across them.

Here's a link to one website where they were having the discussion and that I found and that caused me concern?

Note the one post regarding maximum of 50lbs. of powder? For this I revert to the question above.

http://shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=182953&start=0

Well, I said if I had another question or read something that caused me to have another, I'd post it as well.

Well, I read something, linked below (same website different thread), and I would like YOUR input on this also and have to ask, will or does it work. That being, grounding your reloading press to avoid say, static or other electrical ignition of powder or primers?

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=175736&start=0

No matter what though, I'll be keeping powder and primers, other then what I'm currently using/what's in the press etc., etc., in a different area of the house or in the garage maybe. To avoid it igniting as well if something were to happen.

In reading the post by Jim18611865, I think it makes good sense to do what he says about touching a metal object, in his case his safe, to rid oneself of any static you may have. Nothing wrong with being extra safe. lol

Seriously, is grounding your press a must do? To the extreme of giving it it's own dedicated ground rod or even running a wire to an existing one?

I'm not being or trying to be paranoid. Just trying to cover or make sure and cover all the bases. I've got to make sure the wife can't win any arguments when it comes to me reloading in the house. If someone says something to her about something like this I need to make sure I've already covered it and have an answer. lol I just got my reloading set-up in the house, I threw my back out doing it and had to take it all apart to do it and want it to stay where it now is. lmao

Found something humorous while researching things regarding all this.

And, at one website, a member posted this and calls it his "redneck" fire/smoke detector. lmao

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010

3. Mmmm,

you should have one with an ABC rating to cover a variety of types of fires.
    The chance of reloading causing a fire is pretty remote.

4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Gunpowder has its own oxidizer and a blast from a fire extinguisher can actually spread a gunpowder fire. Water is the best for this situation.I keep a rolled flat hose with a nozzle on it attached to a hose bib in my house. A dry chemical ABC is good for surrounding areas, paper, etc. Primers should be stored in an ammo can , away from powder. Black powder is classed as an explosive and should be handled more with care as far as static electricity is concerned...I have many pounds of powder stored in 3 locations with only about 10 lbs in my house...

5. sourdough44

sourdough44 G&G Regular

WI
    I believe you are over-thinking some of this. If you have to get an extinguisher to keep the wife happy do so, but have it available for other more likely uses. As far as talking to the insurance co or local authorities I'd have to pass on that. There are some regulations has to how much powder you can keep, they seem high enough for most of us. Only take out the one type of powder you plan to use & a 'working amount'. I can think of lots of things around the house that are more likely to start a fire than reloading.

6. My insurance policy is don't ask, don't tell. I keep my powder in an old colem an cooler with the drain plug off. keeps it a constant temperature. Now, if your messing with black powder, get a metal storage bin.

7. I know. This is to keep the agreement I made with the wife and to make her more comfortable about having the stuff in the house.

Trust me. I know if something goes wrong, it's going to go wrong real quick.

As to the insurance thing, I just don't want or need something happening and have them say I violated some part in fine print I didn't read let alone see or have them deny coverage because I brought something so flammable into the house.

I may call with a hypothetical question just to gauge the response? I'll think about it quite heavily before I do though. Not trying to over think things, just trying to cover my butt.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  8. Looks like an ABC rated fire extinguisher is the winner (to appease the warden), and just keeping water/hose at the ready as well as storage of powder and primers seems to be the best precautionary approach to take.

Thanks.

9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

To calm your wife,s nerves,let her do all of the reloading. (that offer usually gets her the he-- out of my way) ,,,sam.

10. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

abc extinguishers make a mess themselves and the powder plays havoc with everything.
    especially electronic components.
    a small garbage can fire turns into a mess everywhere,
    i go with aqf it's basically water and soap and makes a foam but is controllable.
    the next and usually better option is carbon dioxide it however can build up a static charge when used so need to be set down when done.
    it smothers the fire and is harmless.
    you also have halon but it gives off noxious fumes when used but is the darling of the computer industry.
    there is the option of building a sprinkler system for just that room that can be run by the pull of a lever or designed to operate at a certain temperature.

11. You can't smother a gunpowder fire, because the chemical is its own oxidizer.

12. The SAAMI website is on the back of the gunpowder containers for quick reference. Storage and handling SAAMI

Not specific on extinguishing agents, but the NFPA has regulations for sprinkler system for folks with commercial amounts.

I was at an indoor range when a pile of spent brass caught fire. The ABC chemical extinguisher did do the trick, but that stuff went everywhere.

13. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    It's easier to just not smoke in your loading room. I have never had to douse one, but I to was told to stay clear of the ABC and go for a water based extinguisher. It will supposedly keep you from blowing flaming powder across the room, wetting the powder instead.

14. Yea. having a water extinguisher make more sense then having a hose nearby. I'd end up just tripping over it knowing my luck. lol

I should have been a little clearer. The ABC is to replace the existing one we keep in the kitchen that appears to be discharged. But if I can get it refilled (not sure if it's the refillable kind or not?), I'll just do that.

And rather then buy a water extinguisher, I'll save some cash and just get one of those garden or lawn pump sprayers and just put water in it and pump it up if and or when it's needed...

15. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I keep a spray can of ether at hand for situations like that-it makes a real pretty orange flame that calms me down so I can call 911...:D I used to worry about the fire hazards of smokeless powder until I tried to burn some on purpose and had to break out my propane torch to get it lit. Now I just rely on good practices to prevent problems.

16. Being from the old school I would keep a CO2 and a PKP extinguisher handy as well as a prepositioned water hose and sprayer, CO2 Chokes out the fire by depriving it of oxygen, PKP does the same but in a different manner, it coats then seals the burning material in a chemical jacket especially good for metal fires and of course water if you have enough cools below the burning temps and drowns the fire. But that at times takes a whole lotta water I know I was a volunteer firefighter and some fires just don't go out!

17. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

I would recommend the 2 1/2 gallon pressurized watercan.
    I have one in each car, and one in the garage.

Attached Files:

18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

An old fireman once told me the real key to fighting fire was to cool the material below combustion temp.I would think a CO2 extinguisher would do that.They used to cool beer real good.Once when a company I worked for had unstable dynamite,(sweating) Austin powder came out and sprayed it with CO2 and just picked it up and carried it out. ,,,sam.