close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Load for Home Defense ?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jun 2, 2002.

Which load for defense ?, Why ?

1. 00 Buck

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. #4 Buck

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. slugs

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. trap & skeet

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. birdshot

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  6. other

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Which load ? (and caliber if other than 12 gauge). Why ? :fuss: :rolleyes:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I use 00 buck just so I wouldn't have to see the scumbag who broke into my house in court. 00 buck will effectively end a criminals career forever!

3. StevieB.

StevieB. G&G Newbie

agreed-the OOBUCKSHOT magnum 12 pellet load--

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    trap loads or bird shot, is essentially a slug at close ranges as such as found at home, at least in my little hillbilly hacienda. I can keep FRESH ammo available without going broke. Shells been on duty for a while? Go smoke some clays or convert to tasty dove dinner. Oh, low wall penetration too.
    Now, I'm not anti buck. I would choose 00 or #4 to fight my way from one end of the street to another.
    Good shooti'n!

5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I have never seen anything with the destructive power on biological/fluid targets of a rifled slug. Buckshot has the advantage of spread and multiple wound channels, but nothing hits like a slug. It's also better if accuracy is important, like if you want to hit one thing and NOT another.

6. Agree--3 in. mag behind a 3/4 ounce slug. Now if you miss you may kill your next door neighbor.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2002
  7. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I have brick walls. Also, I expect I'd try to aim downwards

8. Groin shot -- thats gonna hurt. My house is brick also, but if he was coming through the front door I better not miss.

9. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Being in a close neighborhood, I'll opt for the birdshot. Our 3/4" plywood sign at the range has numerous birdshot inflicted holes in it. Impressive. At the typical home-defense distance, this would hit the perp like a solid projectile, but with far less over-pentration. Also, the court wouldn't feel like I was using a "killer" load if it's a standard bird load. It'll get the job done.

10. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

Ok guys, I voted for 00 because the spread factor added to the energy factor will have guarranteed effect in the intruder but you must be very sure of what is behind the target.

My preference is Federal 3" Rifled Slug.
    I think it is a bit overkill but then again you are defending your home and family.
    With this load you have to know exactly what you are shooting because once you pull the triger there's no turning back.

Also the 2 3/4" 00 doesn't have the recoil of the bigger loads and maybe your wife or children can tame the gun.
    I wouldn't recomend guns for children under any circumstance but in a house with guns, everyone should respect and be well informed of the proper use of the guns in the house.

At the end of the road, I have to be practical and go with Big Dog, you are going to defend your house, not your county so the distances are pretty much close and the legalities ......................
    :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

11. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    My personal preference is #4 shot. Just aim for the face/head. If it don't kill him it will blind him and definately change his course of action for the evening. I've always said to myself, "I sure hope the insurance company will fix the house if someone breaks in." Good Shooting!

12. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

I use RWS 3"mag 1 3/8oz slugs,and Winchester 3"XXmag 00B.When you load your gun just load a slug then a 00B round until full. If anyone lives through that it is time to run and fast! :cool:

13. Hangfire

Hangfire G&G Newbie

I go with #4 buck or very large birdshot like #2 or so. I would'nt feel helpless with a turkey load of #4 or #6 though. The big buckshot has too much penetration for my thin walls and my two boys in the house.

hf

14. BillyJoeRayBob

BillyJoeRayBob G&G Newbie

WV
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

I used the 12 gauge ammo recommended in this article during a tactical shotgun course. Everyone else used 00, my patterns and the performance from my Benelli M1 Super 90 were consistently among the best in the class. Made me a believer in #1 buckshot.

15. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I like #1 Buckshot too

16. jamespeterman

jamespeterman G&G Newbie

#4 is my choice for an urban or suburban home defense. It'll do the job at close range with less likelihood of going through my house and into my neighbor's house. A similar incident just occurred in my community. A guy was pulling his 20 ga. shotgun out of the case in his house after loaning it to a friend. The fella trips over one of the kid's toys, and the gun went off. There was a hole through his bedroom wall, the neighbor's garage, the neighbor's car windows were shot out, through the other garage wall, and the neighbor heard glass breaking in the kitchen cupboards. Apparently, the friend never unloaded the slugs from the gun and activated the safety. The gun owner is being charged for negligently discharging a firearm.

17. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

What a wake up call to always check your gun to see if its loaded! Especially after loaning it out!

18. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:
    First mistake was loaning a gun.
    If you are loaning a gun, you must be monitoring that gun when in the hands of someone else including family and friends.
    At the end of the road whatever happens with your gun is your responsibility.
    I never loan my guns, (take it and bring it later), not even to my brother, father or anyone else without my close supervision at the range or hunting grounds.
    My policy is: If you want a gun then go out and buy one.
    Many people may think that this is being extremist but when you are in front of the judge and jury I bet that your friends won't be pleading in your favor explaining that it wasn't your fault but theirs.
    :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

19. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

#4 shot might blind someone at 50 yards maybe...Eric If they're lucky.. but at half that distance and less #4 shot will more'n likely kill...even with a cylinder bore barrel