Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am new to this forum. I am in the market for a .22. I would like to make hunting squirrels and rabbits a bit mroe of a challenge instead of using my 20ga. I am looking at the Marlins. I have heard a lot of good things about them and like the way they look. I have a few questions though. I am not sure which to get, a semi or a bolt action. What is the difference between the two? (besides the obvious, one auto loads.) Does the action effect anything such as accuracy? Also, I was thinking about getting either the 7000 which is a semi, or the 980V which is a bolt. They both have heavy target barrels, which I believe is better? I do not need sights on it because I will mount a scope on either gun. Any advice on which to get? I am kind of leaning towards the semi since its about $50 cheaper.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Welcome to the forum, as for your question I would buy the semi auto simply because I like to have the capabilitl of a quick follow up shot without taking my eye off the target. That being said I'm sure you'll be happy with either

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,958 Posts
For meat hunting (Love the tree rats!) I'd go with the bolt-action. If you want to play on the range, the Semi-auto would get the nod. The SA can be pretty accurate (certainly within Minute-of-Squirrel) but the bolt-action is less likely to jam, and is more forgiving of dirt and weather. Practice with it, and it's "One shot, one kill!" :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, so is the bolt worth the extra $50? I guess its sorta up to personal preferance. What about the Heavy Target Barrels. I am paying extra there, is it worth it? What do they do to improve the gun?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, so basically overall the bolts more accurate. Ok sounds good, looks like I will have to save up a little extra. Is this rifle power enough to take larger game like ***** and maybe even yotes?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
racoons just fine -- coyote - plant the round just right and you could take one -- I know people who have harvested deer with 22lr's just have to plant your shot in the right place.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,958 Posts
At no more than 50-60 yards, the Aguila SSS 60 grainer in the ear would do nicely. Very good "Whompability Factor". :)

I like mass over sheer velocity. I'm an anachronism . . . :rolleyes:

Generally, in rimfires, a good bolt-rifle will have about half the group size of a good semi-auto. I know, there are exceptions - but they are usually pricey too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a new Marlin 22WMR....sweet thing. But too big for squirrels. The clip action is smooth with the newer Marlins. Scope equipped.

I have one I bought at a gun show...older Marlin 22LR. Great for squirrels and I use CB longs for it. Less noise and plenty enough power. Also has a scope.

I inherited an old Marlin from my grandpaw. No place to mount scope so I use the peep sight it came with. Very accurate.

Marlins don't like shorts so I use only longs or long rifle.

Ace

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
awright then, question for ya. considering the range of a run of the mill .22 (nothing hot rodded) a decent semi versus a decent bolt action. just how much accuracy would be lost with the semi auto? say at a hundred yards? or if anyone has the experience, at varying yardage then. i understand the bolt being better in the high powered sence. i've often wondered how much differece there was in the .22's.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Weeellllll, if you want an all around good Marlin, (every thing from bumble bees to bull moose) maybe you should look into their new .450 lever gun.:rolleyes: :D :cheer:

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Thrawn...like you said, double the size, double the pleasure. :kinky: :D

But...I believe Outdrsman17 is interested in a .22 from his original comment. I'm gonna look into them, too, at my local Wally World outlet. Everyone should have a .22 rifle in his gun cabinet, or on the gun rack in the back window of his truck. :nod: I've got a .22 revolver but no rifle. Now would be a good time for sure. :nod:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts