Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted something similar in the Savage thread. Need some imput. I will be buying a heavy-barrel Savage in 308. I am torn between a model 12FV 26" vs. model 10FP in either 24" or 20". Either way, it will be going into a different stock. The 10FP is about $50 higher. Is it worth the extra money? Is there a difference in accuracy? I have owned a 110FP in 300 (pre-Accutrigger). I was getting 1/2" groups at 200 with it. Let me know what you think. Thanks!:feedback:

·
Banned
98 Posts
The .308 was designed for the 22" barrel of the M14. However, if you're planning on using the Savage for just target shooting, the longer barrel will be best. Not so much if you're going to lug it around.
"...Is there a difference..." Same rifle, different finish. The 10FP is more expensive because it's on their LE page.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have what is posted below in my Sig - Savage 10FP 24".

The 12FV offers nothing but 2" more of barrel, and gloss blued. I personally like the matte finish better, but that's just me. If I were you, I'd get what I have right now, 'cept they don't make it anymore, they make it with the detachable magazine... which is even better. Get the 10FCP HSPrec, or McMillan - the stocks are better, and you'll save money in the long run if you plan on getting a new stock. You can't go wrong with it. I've been getting sub MOA with Hornandy Match Grade 168gr BTHP.

Here's a tip - Spend as much, if not more, on the scope as you did on the rifle. Buy Leupold, Burris, or, if you have money up to your ears... Swarovski.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Hey HogFan Welcome to Gun and Game it's always nice to see another cuzzin join the site.
I live very near El Dorado what part of the state do you live in, if you don't mind me asking ?...A.H

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hogfan,
I have the Mod. 12FV in .308 and love it. I use it for long distance or whats commonly referred to as beanfield hunting. I didn't care for the synthetic stock that it came with so I added a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. The rifle is heavy, about 11.5lbs. and not meant for walking around. I'm using 175gr. Berger VLD bullets and they shoot 1/2 MOA all day while still retaining good energy at long ranges.
Here's a photo:

Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arkansas Hunter, I'm in Harrison. Did you watch that horrible excuse of a game called the Cotton Bowl? Anyway, I think I'll go with the 10 fp. I like the matte finish. I'm still not sure about which stock (B&C, HS, McMill, etc) and optics. I'm thinking about a mil-dot, but I'm not sure if I'll need it. I am going with a var power at least a 12 or 16X. Any thoughts, without dropping a small fortune?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts